5.0 out of 5 stars I regret not having bought it sooner!
Published on December 16, 2006 by M. L Lamendola

2.0 out of 5 stars Limited to version 5
This books covers Windows Mobile 5. Most new phones come with version 6. This greatly limited the value of the book.
Published on August 10, 2008 by Edward M. Welch

5.0 out of 5 stars I regret not having bought it sooner!, December 16, 2006
If you have a mobile computer (for example, a PocketPC) that runs on a Windows platform, you probably found the instruction manual grossly inadequate. I know I did. I also found some basic, expected functionality missing from my PocketPC and immediately set about finding third-party applications to resolve those deficiencies. Along the way, I found out just how frustrating it is to set up or even use a mobile computer without something other than just the manual to serve as an information source.

What a jewel I found in this book on Windows Mobile! Most computer-related books are either way too simple to be of any use, or they are written for people who don't need a manual in the first place. This one is targeted squarely at the typical user.

I have a real problem with "newbie" books that assume you can't read a display menu. This book doesn't start at that point. It starts with the assumption you don't live under a rock and aren't too lazy to click a few things to see what they do. It also doesn't assume you have an advanced degree in computer programming. My first reaction when reading this was, "Pinch me--I must be dreaming!" Definitely a great value for every penny spent and definitely worth the time spent reading it.

The book is arranged logically, with five major parts. Part One focuses on the "get started" issues. It starts off by explaining the Windows Mobile platform. It then provides some basics about the devices that run on Windows Mobile, so you're not lost in later sections. After this, it explains various settings--what they mean and what you can do with them. It ends by addressing specifics with Smartphones.

Part II helps you master using your laptop or desktop PC with your Windows Mobile device. I found this extraordinarily helpful, because the manual for my device left me to bumble and stumble in needless pain and misery. But now, I am very comfortable using my laptop to manage my Pocket PC. If you are wondering what the heck "manage" means in this context, you need to read this book!

One operation I don't do is synchronization--I find that far too scary. What if it wipes out the files on the computer? The first time I tried this process, it created all kinds of problems and I had to restore my computer's calendar and e-mail from a backup. To prevent a disaster, I now use my laptop rather than my desktop to do things on my Pocket PC.

A weakness in the book is it doesn't explain how to selectively synchronize. It gives a hint, though--setting up a special mail profile for this may solve the problem of unwanted "updates." But it doesn't address this problem directly. The synchronization function needs to be fixed, so that a person can use it without the risk of losing data. A well-explained workaround would have been nice.

Part III addresses many issues I don't care about and that don't affect people who have broadband service with their Pocket PC. If you have to use a dialup, though, this information is indispensable.

Part IV talks mostly about various applications that strike me as laptop or desktop stuff. For example, running spreadsheets and databases on your Pocket PC. Maybe my view is just too narrow. To me, the small screen and tiny keyboard mean you pretty much stick to calling, e-mailing, and doing minor text work. In an age where 21-inch CRTs and 17-inch LCDs dominate desktops, it seems ridiculous to try to cram those same applications into a screen that is 1.75 x 2.75 inches. If you can't have a laptop with you, then maybe the actual work can wait. It may seem unbelievable, but there was a time when people weren't expected to respond to a call 24 hrs a day and were expected to go back to the office to update a file.

Throughout the book, there are resource recommendations with accurate URLs provided. I followed up on many of these and found some excellent applications at reasonable prices.

If you are looking at any kind of computer/phone combo, get this book first. Yes, that applies to thinking about a Blackberry or PalmPilot, too. I was originally going to buy a Blackberry, but my product research led me to select a PocketPC instead. I have never regretted that choice. I bought this book several months after buying my device (I didn't know there was such a book, until then). My only regret is that I didn't buy it sooner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful for Anyone, September 29, 2006
This is a very useful book, either for beginners or for more advanced users. Whether you're looking for a reference manual or a users' guide, you'll be sure to find the information you need here. The many pictures and highlighted tips and notes make "How to Do Everything with Windows Mobile" easy to read, and easy to quickly find the information you're looking for.

This very thorough book covers both Windows Mobile Pocket PCs and Smartphones, whether running standalone or connected. There's a lot of information on using wifi or bluetooth connections, which I'm sure many of the new Windows Mobile device owners want to know.

The information is all current, the pictures useful, and the tips excellent. Whether you're a newcomer to Windows Mobile looking for basic information, or a more sophisticated user looking for reference information, you'll be sure to get a lot of good information from this guide.

2.0 out of 5 stars Limited to version 5, August 10, 2008
Edward M. Welch "Ed Welch" (East Lansing, Michigan United States) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars Out of date and not worth much., September 14, 2008
This might have been a great book... three years ago but now it is woefully out of date. I got the book for help with my Verizon mobile phone but found that throughout the book in trying to cover both pocket PCs and phones it did neither well. As an example, the note on page 287 regarding using Word Mobile states "Word Mobile s not available on Smartphones..." Odd... it seems to be there on my Smartphone and seems to work!

3.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps not "Everything", January 14, 2008
I suppose the word "Everything" lead me astray here. Perhaps, also, I expected too much otherwise.

The book does help you to learn the basics of using a Windows Mobile Smartphone or PDA, but I felt like I expected it to go into some slightly more advanced topics in detail, like installing and configuring software, or more advanced configuration of the system itself. My failing there could very well be in my expectations, though.

If you just need to learn how to use your Windows Mobile phone, then I suppose this is a decent book. I would wonder what else is out there along those lines, though, since that's not really what I was looking for.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little outdated, but very helpful, September 27, 2009
This review is from: How to Do Everything with Windows Mobile (Paperback)
A little outdated, but very helpful even though a lot if the newer info concerns the mobile phones and not the handheld computer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Windows for someone who has never seen a computer before, February 22, 2008
Ken D (Austin, TX) - See all my reviews
Very sophomoric approach to explaining how to use Windows Mobile. If you have never before seen a Windows Mobile device and have no intuitive capacity whatsoever, this is the book for you. If you are looking to solve a problem or change a feature, forget it -- you won't find the answer here mostly because there is no answer. This book takes 433 pages to explain a four page topic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, October 13, 2014
so nice.

How to Do Everything with Windows Mobile
How to Do Everything with Windows Mobile by Frank McPherson (Paperback - May 17, 2006)
$24.99 $10.00