5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Drawing Tool

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as easy as it looks - 3.5 stars
Published 24 months ago by Dienne

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Drawing Tool, January 9, 2007
This review is from: How to Draw 101 Animals (Paperback)
This book is a must-have for children who love to draw and for moms who are asked to draw a certain object but don't quite know how!!! My 4 and 6 year old love this book, they are able to draw some objects and still need help with others, which is great, I like things on an advanced level. I think they learn more that way. This book has every imaginable animal in it; I don't think the author left any out! A great find at a great value!

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent how-to guide for simple line drawings of animals, March 21, 2009
Carol C. "ccjello" (Kansas City, MO USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: How to Draw 101 Animals (Paperback)
The good: This is a fun drawing guide for kids (and adults, too) that shows, step-by-step, how to make simple, stylized outline drawings of 101 animals, everything from armadillos to zebras. It has kept the preschooler and teenager in our household entertained for hours -- and it's the first place I look if I want to figure out how to make a simple line drawing of a horse or panda bear.

The details: For the most part, two animals are featured per page. For each animal, there are six frames showing how to make a simple outline drawing of the animal. The first frame shows the basic outline of the animal, or the animal's head; additional detail is added in each frame, and the sixth frame shows the completed drawing. For ten animals, there are only three frames in the guide (but, honestly, it would be hard to come up with six steps in drawing a starfish or worm, so three frames are plenty).

The drawbacks: the animals appear in the book in random order -- grasshopper and squid share a page, as do peacock and jellyfish. Organizing the animals alphabetically or by type or habitat would be useful. So, you may have to flip through the entire book to find what you're looking for. Second, there is only one drawing for each animal -- so if you like to draw puppies or kittens, the book shows you only one way to do it -- no variety of poses or expressions.

The recommendation: This book won't turn you into a nuanced artist, but it will help you make some cute drawings and fun doodles; this and a pack of markers should provide hours of fun for most kids. Highly recommended. Similar products, also highly recommended are How To Draw 101 Funny People,101 Things That Go (How to Draw), and How to Draw 101 Monsters: Easy Step-by-step Drawing.

5.0 out of 5 stars great in school if you are a teacher, September 17, 2007
This review is from: How to Draw 101 Animals (Paperback)
I use this whole series in my Art Class to Elementary children. They love this extra activity. It builds their confidence that they can draw identifible things. They even take multiple instructions and create a whole picture. I ripped the book apart and laminated the pages into easy to use cards. Works great!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as easy as it looks - 3.5 stars, September 27, 2012
This review is from: How to Draw 101 Animals (Paperback)
My nearly six-year-old daughter has been showing some interest and aptitude for drawing, and she seems drawn to comic/cartoon-type books, so I thought I'd encourage her with a "how to draw" book for kids. This one seemed to have cute, creative, yet straightforward animal figures that seemed like a good place to start. In practice, however, it wasn't as easy as it looked.

This is not your standard, draw a circle for the head, an oval for the body, sticks for feet and triangles for ears, kind of book. While some of the animals start with a simple circle or oval for a head, many start from the beginning with a rather convoluted oblong form encompassing the entire body. And even those which start with simple forms get more difficult very quickly. Some of such oblong shapes include gaps for legs, fins, tails, etc. which get filled in later. It requires a great deal of visual-spatial ability to follow these winding forms and a great deal of hand-eye coordination to reproduce them on your own paper. I worked on this book with my almost-six-year-old daughter, and neither of us ended up with final forms that looked quite like the one in the book. And to be honest, I couldn't say which of us was the better drawer. As an adult, I clearly have better motor control, but I think there's something about being a kid that helps with getting a comprehensive understanding of the animal form.

Most of the animals are presented in six steps, although some toward the end are only three steps. There are no written instructions, just the progression of incomplete to complete drawings. The steps often alternate between difficult and easy. For instance, after drawing the bumpy outline of a furry animal, the next step may be to put in a simple eyeball or draw a tail. The examples given in the book are fairly small, and we found the tendency was to draw much bigger on our paper, which creates the added problem of proportionality as you try to make each part equally bigger.

I don't know how well these lessons translate into actual drawing skill. I'm not sure I could independently re-create any of the animals I've already drawn, let alone use skills learned from those animals for drawing other animals, or even the same animal from a different perspective.

Nonetheless, the book has been fun and my daughter and I (and occasionally my husband) have enjoyed creating our own animal drawings and laughing at the results. I look at it more as entertainment with a bit of visual-spatial and hand-eye development as a bonus.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great buy!, February 27, 2009
This review is from: How to Draw 101 Animals (Paperback)
I've been looking for a way to get my kids interested in drawing, I ordered the books (101 Monsters, 101 Funny People & 101 Animals) and pretended like I bought them for myself, my 6 year old son saw me drawing and asked what I was doing "oh, just learning to draw monsters" he called up his older brother and they asked me if they could try, "sure" they took the book and spent hours drawing that day.

I gave them one book each week to keep their interested, I started asking them to make their own stories using the books, they usually use all three to make a story.

This was really a great buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars great for older kids, June 4, 2011
This review is from: How to Draw 101 Animals (Paperback)
My five year old loves this book. She can't copy it exactly, but she still has fun. We also got the How to Draw 101 Fairies and we love that one even more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, January 21, 2007
This review is from: How to Draw 101 Animals (Paperback)
This book on how to draw is very easy for kids to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, June 11, 2013
Frank J. Cehelsky (Mc Kees Rocks, PA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Draw 101 Animals (Paperback)
I'm 11 years old and when it comes to drawing I would buy this book. It's very helpful for me beacuse I love to draw little animals ( cartoon animals)

5.0 out of 5 stars drawing animals, January 10, 2010
This review is from: How to Draw 101 Animals (Paperback)
I ORDERED SEVERAL BOOKS, THEY WERE RECEIVED IN A TIMELY MANNER AND WERE PACKAGED REALY WELL. I ORDERED THESE FOR MY GRANDCHILD WHO JUST LOVES TO DRAW AND I AM HERE TO TELL YOU, MOM IS CONSTANTLY RUNNING OUT OF PAPER. CHILD IS VERY HAPPY WHEN SHE FOLLOWS EASY DIRECTIONS AND CAN ACTUALLY BE PROUD OF WHAT SHE HAS DONE. SHE IS 6 YEARS OLD AND LOVES IT.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for beginners, May 19, 2011
D. Snow (Cleveland, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Draw 101 Animals (Paperback)
I purchased this book for my granddaughter and would recommend it. It has wonderful step by step instructions. Great for the beginner artist.

How to Draw 101 Animals
How to Draw 101 Animals by Dan Green (Paperback - June 2004)
$4.99 $4.49