5.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you buy all three!
Published on February 27, 2009 by G. Perez

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible book to learn from
Unlike most drawing books, this one starts at the head and goes down to the bottom, so it's easy to misjudge the proportions and have really short legs. The cartoons are not that great. I sent mine back. If you're expecting step-by-step, this is not it. Each photo advances about 10 steps. You have to guess what goes next.
Published 9 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you buy all three!, February 27, 2009
This review is from: How to Draw 101 Funny People (How to Draw) (Paperback)
I've been looking for a way to get my kids interested in drawing, I ordered the books (101 Monsters, 101 Funny People & 101 Animals) and pretended like I bought them for myself, my 6 year old son saw me drawing and asked what I was doing "oh, just learning to draw monsters" he called up his older brother and they asked me if they could try, "sure" they took the book and spent hours drawing that day.

I gave them one book each week to keep their interested, I started asking them to make their own stories using the books, they usually use all three to make a story.

This was really a great buy!

4.0 out of 5 stars lots of fun; step by step guide to making simple outline drawings of funny people, March 21, 2009
Carol C. "ccjello" (Kansas City, MO USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: How to Draw 101 Funny People (How to Draw) (Paperback)
The good: This is a fun drawing guide for kids (and adults, too) that shows, step-by-step, how to make simple, stylized outline drawings of 101 funny people, everything from artist to waiter, baby to granddad, burglar to sheriff. Several of these drawing books have kept the preschooler and teenager in our household entertained for hours; this one is a little challenging for the five-year old but still fun.

The details: For the most part, two funny people are featured per page. For each character, there are six frames showing how to make a simple outline drawing. The first frame shows the basic outline of the animal, of the head or hair; additional detail is added in each frame, and the sixth frame shows the completed drawing. For several of the characters, there are only four frames in the guide.

There is a wide variety of characters featured, including:

athletes (surfer, high jumper, weightlifter, skateboarder, tennis player, and all of the basics -- football, baseball, etc.)

musicians (conductor, African musician, opera singer)

health care professionals (doctor, nurse, dentist)

service professionals (mechanic, builder, teacher, baker, fireman . . . )

other professions (actor, cowboy, Flamenco dancer, judge, fisherman, scientist . . . )

historical figures (king, queen, pharoah, Greek scholar, Greek soldier, Roman emperor, Victorian lady . . . )

different nationalities (Arab, Chinese lady -- though she looks like a Japanese geisha to me -- , Eskimo)

The drawbacks: The characters appear in the book in random order -- the clown is next to the pharaoh, the chef and elf share a page. Organizing the characters alphabetically or in some other meaningful manner would be useful. You will have to flip through the entire book to find out whether what you're looking for is in the book and if so, where. And the book doesn't lie flat, so you have to put a weight on it to keep it open.

The recommendation: This book won't turn you into a nuanced artist, but it will help you make some cute drawings and fun doodles; this and a pack of markers should provide hours of fun for most kids. Highly recommended. It's best suited for age seven or so and up -- The drawings are a little more detailed and challenging than those featured in How to Draw 101 Animals, which is also highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Art Class, September 17, 2007
This review is from: How to Draw 101 Funny People (How to Draw) (Paperback)
I use this whole series in my Art Class to Elementary children. They love this extra activity. It builds their confidence that they can draw identifible things. They even take multiple instructions and create a whole picture. I ripped the book apart and laminated the pages into easy to use cards. Works great!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good drawing book for 8 and up, July 2, 2008
This review is from: How to Draw 101 Funny People (How to Draw) (Paperback)
My eight year old daughter loves this book and I love it as well. But it is too frustrating for my six year old son.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes drawing easy, February 25, 2008
W. Henderson (Alaska (for now)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Draw 101 Funny People (How to Draw) (Paperback)
I bought it because my son like to draw but needed a few ideas that were easy to do on his own as opposed to copying. The books format allows kids (and adults) to really do some cute things with pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Children, July 26, 2006
This review is from: How to Draw 101 Funny People (How to Draw) (Paperback)
Very pleased with this How to Draw Book. Our Grandchildren--ages 5 and 7--- sat down and immediately started drawing people from the book. I was amazed! Easy directions for them to understand.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible book to learn from, December 30, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Beginners, January 14, 2009
This review is from: How to Draw 101 Funny People (How to Draw) (Paperback)
My kids ages 6 & 4 are always pulling this book out. They love to draw and this book gives them help where needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, basic drawing book, August 30, 2011
This review is from: How to Draw 101 Funny People (How to Draw) (Paperback)
Four of my children have just started using these "How to Draw" series books during our homeschool art class. They really like it! Seeing each step really helps them to draw more accurately. They have a sense of accomplishment because it looks exactly like the picture in the book when they are done. I highly recommend all of the "How to Draw" books in this series for beginning artists.

4.0 out of 5 stars fun little people, December 25, 2009
This review is from: How to Draw 101 Funny People (How to Draw) (Paperback)
There are all kinds of people to learn to draw in this book!
Some are easier than others, so it fits a wide range of kids. I would recommend this book for 7 and up.

How to Draw 101 Funny People (How to Draw)
How to Draw 101 Funny People (How to Draw) by Dan Green (Paperback - June 2004)
$4.99 $4.49