Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Elizabeth Cook Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon February 27, 2009
I've been looking for a way to get my kids interested in drawing, I ordered the books (101 Monsters, 101 Funny People & 101 Animals) and pretended like I bought them for myself, my 6 year old son saw me drawing and asked what I was doing "oh, just learning to draw monsters" he called up his older brother and they asked me if they could try, "sure" they took the book and spent hours drawing that day.

I gave them one book each week to keep their interested, I started asking them to make their own stories using the books, they usually use all three to make a story.

This was really a great buy!
VINE VOICEon March 21, 2009
The good: This is a fun drawing guide for kids (and adults, too) that shows, step-by-step, how to make simple, stylized outline drawings of 101 funny people, everything from artist to waiter, baby to granddad, burglar to sheriff. Several of these drawing books have kept the preschooler and teenager in our household entertained for hours; this one is a little challenging for the five-year old but still fun.

The details: For the most part, two funny people are featured per page. For each character, there are six frames showing how to make a simple outline drawing. The first frame shows the basic outline of the animal, of the head or hair; additional detail is added in each frame, and the sixth frame shows the completed drawing. For several of the characters, there are only four frames in the guide.

There is a wide variety of characters featured, including:

athletes (surfer, high jumper, weightlifter, skateboarder, tennis player, and all of the basics -- football, baseball, etc.)

musicians (conductor, African musician, opera singer)

health care professionals (doctor, nurse, dentist)

service professionals (mechanic, builder, teacher, baker, fireman . . . )

other professions (actor, cowboy, Flamenco dancer, judge, fisherman, scientist . . . )

historical figures (king, queen, pharoah, Greek scholar, Greek soldier, Roman emperor, Victorian lady . . . )

different nationalities (Arab, Chinese lady -- though she looks like a Japanese geisha to me -- , Eskimo)

The drawbacks: The characters appear in the book in random order -- the clown is next to the pharaoh, the chef and elf share a page. Organizing the characters alphabetically or in some other meaningful manner would be useful. You will have to flip through the entire book to find out whether what you're looking for is in the book and if so, where. And the book doesn't lie flat, so you have to put a weight on it to keep it open.

The recommendation: This book won't turn you into a nuanced artist, but it will help you make some cute drawings and fun doodles; this and a pack of markers should provide hours of fun for most kids. Highly recommended. It's best suited for age seven or so and up -- The drawings are a little more detailed and challenging than those featured in How to Draw 101 Animals, which is also highly recommended.
on September 17, 2007
I use this whole series in my Art Class to Elementary children. They love this extra activity. It builds their confidence that they can draw identifible things. They even take multiple instructions and create a whole picture. I ripped the book apart and laminated the pages into easy to use cards. Works great!
on December 30, 2013
Unlike most drawing books, this one starts at the head and goes down to the bottom, so it's easy to misjudge the proportions and have really short legs. The cartoons are not that great. I sent mine back. If you're expecting step-by-step, this is not it. Each photo advances about 10 steps. You have to guess what goes next.
on July 2, 2008
My eight year old daughter loves this book and I love it as well. But it is too frustrating for my six year old son.
on February 25, 2008
I bought it because my son like to draw but needed a few ideas that were easy to do on his own as opposed to copying. The books format allows kids (and adults) to really do some cute things with pictures.
on December 17, 2015
Nice book with simple instructions and examples how to draw funny people .
It's a cute book , I bought it for my 7 year old Granddaughter . It would also
be appropriate for a boy . Depending on their skill I think it could be used by
a person maybe 5-12 . Or an adult, but I think I'd be a little insulted if someone
bought me one.not because I wouldn't use it , but because it's a little juvenile.
Even though that would be my ( people ) drawing skill.
on January 13, 2016
My 5 year old has shown great artistic ability and loves to freeze the TV and draw what is on the screen. So I purchased this for a Christmas gift and she loves it! The pictures are broken down into about 8 steps with simple lines and shapes added to each frame. While she still struggles with facial features and hands, my daughter has really done some great drawings on her own using this book.
on May 18, 2015
My 8 year old son absolutely loves these books. Great starter book for kids that live to draw. He has been drawing like a mad man since he got these books. We also got the 101 Animals and 101 Monsters. Great price and will be purchasing more to add to his collection.
on July 24, 2015
I purchased this as a gift for my teenage son, and he likes it. He tries to draw more realistic, so this is more of a novelty item for him. It's a great way to help young artists try to stretch their imaginations.