4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!
This book is very good for children. The children have not put it down. It teaches them how to draw basic animals and gives them a sense of accomplishment!
Published on April 29, 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good.
Published on June 28, 2001 by Blake Watson

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good., June 28, 2001
I'm an Ed Emberly fan, and as my children (and admittedly myself) have drawn so much out of his books, we've started to branch out to more sophisticated drawings. With the exception of Ed's, most "how-to" books pretty much "teach" in the same way: They give you a number of guides which are supposed to take you from simple shapes to the picture you're trying to arrive at.
It's apparent to me now, having revisited Emberly's work as an adult, and going back to books like this, which were tremendously frustrating to me as a child, that the key difference between a book like "How To Draw Animals" and "Ed Emberly's Drawing Book of Animals" is =not= the complexity of the final picture.
The key difference is the =gradient= between the guides.
In an Emberly book, each guide adds one or two very simple shapes to add--and tells you which shapes to add and often where (though it's usually obvious) and maybe even some explanatory text, etc., etc., whereas a book like this often gives you half-a-dozen shapes, and requires you to tweak the shapes you drew previously, all without a word of instruction or a different color or kind of line showing where the changes are.
Of course, these things are obvious to someone who already =can= draw, but very frustrating for those who can't.
Now, in my experience, most drawing books are like this, and you can't realistically buy them and be shocked when they all more-or-less take this approach, so I didn't really mark Ms. Soloff-Levy's book down for it.
Parents and teachers should pay close attention when buying these books for children. They all have different skill levels and the difference between ending up with a kid who gets frustrated and wants to throw the sketchbook away and ending up with one who enjoys drawing is, in a large part, going to depend on the adult's understanding of what skills a particular book requires.
For what it's worth, I'll continue to post my experiences here.
From a skill standpoint, I'd put this book after Ed Emberly's Big Red Drawing book. The shapes used are subtler than straight geometrics, but there are often only a few elements to a picture. And, thankfully, there are more than just three guides. (Some drawing books give you just three--or even two!--guides to go from nothing to a finished picture.)
I'd give it four stars but in some of the drawings, the guides don't match! I don't mean that a shape has to be tweaked or subtly altered, but simply that a leg in one guide is in a different position than the same leg in the next! Other than that, this book is recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, April 29, 2000
By A Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems Easier than "How to Draw Pets", December 22, 2013
This review is from: How to Draw Animals (Dover How to Draw) (Paperback)
I bought this book along with "How to Draw Pets." There are similar animals in this book (monkey, rabbit, horse, mouse, sheep, pig, dog, cat) but are drawn with a different design. Most of the animals are farm or zoo related. The design of these animals are more simple than the animals in "How to Draw Pets." The difference is there is less focus on texture, i.e. fur/feather development. These drawings are more shape initiated than free-hand. Each project has 4 stages which build upon each other to complete the drawing. Dashed lines indicate lines to be erased due to overlapping. Practice page is include next to each project but the following project is on the back of the practice page. This is for my 6 year old grandson who I also bought a drawing pad to practice on. Tracing paper will help me overcome areas of difficulty. Good book for his age/ability level.

5.0 out of 5 stars kids dig it, February 24, 2008
GameMaker (Portland, OR USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I bought this as a gift for the daughter (7 years old I believe) of a friend of mine. I am very impressed by the results. She snapped it up and immediately began using it. You could see her drawing improve almost immediately, and she came up with some very impressive (and hilarious) drawings.

I can't really give the book any higher praise than that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grand daughter loved this., May 16, 2014
This review is from: How to Draw Animals (Dover How to Draw) (Paperback)
My 8 year old grand daughter loved this book and sent me many of her drawing for my refrigerator. I love them all and was surprised at how good they were.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kid friendly, January 4, 2014
This review is from: How to Draw Animals (Dover How to Draw) (Paperback)
Simple easy lines, very basic perfect for my7 year old. I would buy it again plus how to draw people and just how to draw by same author!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed by kids !!!, May 1, 2014
This review is from: How to Draw Animals (Dover How to Draw) (Paperback)
My child loved it! We bought it for my 9 year old daughter and her little girlfriends. They loved it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excelent, November 6, 2014
This review is from: How to Draw Animals (Dover How to Draw) (Paperback)
Excelent book and the blank page to try it on the book is awesome!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, April 10, 2014
This review is from: How to Draw Animals (Dover How to Draw) (Paperback)
Easy and simple for kids. My four year old loves it and it keeps him entertained. Wish there were more animals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Drawing book, February 13, 2014
This review is from: How to Draw Animals (Dover How to Draw) (Paperback)
The kids are using it to learn to draw and we happy with the other drawing items for Christmas presents.

How to Draw Animals (Dover How to Draw)
How to Draw Animals (Dover How to Draw) by Barbara Soloff-Levy (Paperback - May 19, 2008)
$4.99
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.