5.0 out of 5 stars Great For Kids or Beginners
I gave this to my 10 yr old son for Christmas and it really teaches him well how to draw faces. The face is very difficult to draw and this book will really get them on the right path. My husband is a good artist and my son is really taking after him, so they can sit together and draw together and learn together :)
Published on May 9, 2008 by PotterGrl

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
The book is titled "How to Draw Faces" so I was, rather naturally, expecting a book that teaches you how to draw faces.

Published on April 29, 2011 by Orianna

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, April 29, 2011
This review is from: How to Draw Faces (Dover How to Draw) (Paperback)

Instead, it's a book with page after page of "demo" faces with blank pages in between for you to copy them on. There are no guides, there are no tips, there are no instructions, save for a brief note--on the copyright page, no less--that tells you how to divide the face into sections. That's it! That's all the help you get. The faces themselves are extremely simplified line drawings. There are no tips on shading, or adding shadows or highlights, or adding color. No tips on how to draw mouths or noses or eyes or hair. Just many pages of super-quick line drawings and no step-by-step instructions.

Plus, all the faces are very similar, as another reviewer pointed out. The eyes are all a bit droopy, and the features are unrealistic--rather cartoonish.

I bought this for my eleven-year-old sister who is an extremely talented budding artist. It might help her to some degree, since she tends to ignore the instructions and simply copy the finished drawing. But I was hoping for something that would be a little more useful in the long run. Something that would encourage good drawing habits and actually -teach- her how to draw faces better.

I can't recommend "How to Draw Faces" at all, but if you're looking for a good art book for kids, I highly recommend Art for Kids: Drawing: The Only Drawing Book You'll Ever Need to Be the Artist You've Always Wanted to Be. It doesn't focus on faces or people, but it does give excellent lessons on how to draw what you see, with simplistic instructions on drawing shape and form, shadows and highlights, perspective, and so on. My sister has learned a great deal from it, even with just the few lessons we've been able to go over together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great For Kids or Beginners, May 9, 2008
PotterGrl (Northern Virginia) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Everyone, January 18, 2009
Amazon Customer "Mom of three" (Kingsport, TN, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Draw Faces (Dover How to Draw) (Paperback)
This book is simple enough that my children (ages 8 and 10) have been using it since they received it for Christmas. I am not good at drawing and I think it would be helpful to me also. The only negative I can see it that most of the noses on the faces look the same. But for beginners this is a simple book that is a great place to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners, December 13, 2010
Roopa Ravi (New Albany, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Draw Faces (Dover How to Draw) (Paperback)
This is a good book for beginners. My daughter is a good artist but has a tough time with faces. This book helps.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, December 26, 2009
This review is from: How to Draw Faces (Dover How to Draw) (Paperback)
I gave this to a six-year-old and it was quickly cast aside. She loves the Usborne books and I will stick with those in the future. The illustrations are poor and confusing. The illustrator should practice with the Usborne books!

5.0 out of 5 stars How to Draw, April 16, 2010
Amazon Customer (Snellville, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Draw Faces (Dover How to Draw) (Paperback)
I bought this book for my nine year old son, who was having great difficulty drawing. He picked it up and immediately began drawing. This is a good basic book for any wanting to learn to draw.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beginner at 6 years old, December 19, 2013
This review is from: How to Draw Faces (Dover How to Draw) (Paperback)
This is a book on how to draw the basic facial structure using a grid to divide sections of the face (eyes go on this line, nose starts here, mouth here...etc.). Each face is a 4 step process. Might be a bit advanced for a 6 year old without supervision. A basic understanding of spacing and proportions may be needed as there are projects involving side view, hair and hat placement. Depth (i.e. shading/lighting) is not an element of these projects. This will be the ultimate challenge for my grandson. Tracing paper will help to encourage learning. I look at these books as basic beginner books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners, June 11, 2014
This review is from: How to Draw Faces (Dover How to Draw) (Paperback)
I have a student that lives several miles away. She wanted to learn to draw faces and was asking me questions that got me thinking about having a book handy to guide her through the process. Great Book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks Great., June 10, 2014
Scotty "jdk" (Great Smokey Mountains) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Draw Faces (Dover How to Draw) (Paperback)
Haven't tried this yet, but, have looked it over. Looks like the very thing I need at a beginner trying out my talent. Simple directions and would be great for kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars HOW TO DRAW FACES, April 30, 2014
This review is from: How to Draw Faces (Dover How to Draw) (Paperback)
My granddaughters loved this book. It is a very good book describing the different looks of faces. It gives them a view beyond the 'children's' version of drawing.

How to Draw Faces (Dover How to Draw)
How to Draw Faces (Dover How to Draw) by Barbara Soloff-Levy (Paperback - July 17, 2003)
$4.99 $3.13