Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: How to Draw Faces (Dover How to Draw)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Paperback|Change

The book is titled "How to Draw Faces" so I was, rather naturally, expecting a book that teaches you how to draw faces.

Instead, it's a book with page after page of "demo" faces with blank pages in between for you to copy them on. There are no guides, there are no tips, there are no instructions, save for a brief note--on the copyright page, no less--that tells you how to divide the face into sections. That's it! That's all the help you get. The faces themselves are extremely simplified line drawings. There are no tips on shading, or adding shadows or highlights, or adding color. No tips on how to draw mouths or noses or eyes or hair. Just many pages of super-quick line drawings and no step-by-step instructions.

Plus, all the faces are very similar, as another reviewer pointed out. The eyes are all a bit droopy, and the features are unrealistic--rather cartoonish.

I bought this for my eleven-year-old sister who is an extremely talented budding artist. It might help her to some degree, since she tends to ignore the instructions and simply copy the finished drawing. But I was hoping for something that would be a little more useful in the long run. Something that would encourage good drawing habits and actually -teach- her how to draw faces better.

I can't recommend "How to Draw Faces" at all, but if you're looking for a good art book for kids, I highly recommend Art for Kids: Drawing: The Only Drawing Book You'll Ever Need to Be the Artist You've Always Wanted to Be. It doesn't focus on faces or people, but it does give excellent lessons on how to draw what you see, with simplistic instructions on drawing shape and form, shadows and highlights, perspective, and so on. My sister has learned a great deal from it, even with just the few lessons we've been able to go over together.
on May 9, 2008
I gave this to my 10 yr old son for Christmas and it really teaches him well how to draw faces. The face is very difficult to draw and this book will really get them on the right path. My husband is a good artist and my son is really taking after him, so they can sit together and draw together and learn together :)
on January 18, 2009
This book is simple enough that my children (ages 8 and 10) have been using it since they received it for Christmas. I am not good at drawing and I think it would be helpful to me also. The only negative I can see it that most of the noses on the faces look the same. But for beginners this is a simple book that is a great place to start.
on February 28, 2016
I've taught art for many years and picked this up for my elementary school age students to look at. No text to speak of other than a couple of paragraphs on the first page that give ambiguous and unhelpful information about general facial structure. There is NO instruction about drawing features (eyes, nose, etc). The rest is comprised of examples of poorly drawn faces in stages of completion with an adjacent blank page for copying. I wanted to like this, but I wouldn't even show this to kids. Plus the back cover was ripped and bent (not an inherent flaw, but just added to the overall purchase experience).
on December 13, 2010
This is a good book for beginners. My daughter is a good artist but has a tough time with faces. This book helps.
on January 27, 2015
My son likes to draw, but he is no artist. Rather, he is a doodler, who can teach himself to draw simple things. So when I saw this book, I thought it would be just right for him. And I was absolutely right, because Barbara Soloff Levy does an excellent job of simplifying how to draw faces, includes blank pages to practice next to the instructions, and gives lots of different types of faces to learn. Highly recommended!
on September 25, 2014
This book is very rudimentary. I was hoping that it might have individual pages for how to draw various noses, eyes, or mouths. There are no written descriptions. It is straight pictures. However it still has some intrinsic value in its simplicity. I probably wouldn't buy it again but that is me.
on May 23, 2015
Description made it sound like this would help with drawing facial expressions. It is really just focused on eye and mouth placement to ensure correct distance from each. Not what I was looking for and the examples of how to draw them are poor.
on June 11, 2014
I have a student that lives several miles away. She wanted to learn to draw faces and was asking me questions that got me thinking about having a book handy to guide her through the process. Great Book!
on November 20, 2013
I have bought several books like this and my 6 yr old niece loves them since she is very interested in drawing. It has helped me get back into it as well. Great price and good quality, will be ordering more!