Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Format: PaperbackChange

VINE VOICEon February 27, 2009
I've been looking for a way to get my kids interested in drawing, I ordered the books (101 Monsters, 101 Funny People & 101 Animals) and pretended like I bought them for myself, my 6 year old son saw me drawing and asked what I was doing "oh, just learning to draw monsters" he called up his older brother and they asked me if they could try, "sure" they took the book and spent hours drawing that day.

I gave them one book each week to keep their interested, I started asking them to make their own stories using the books, they usually use all three to make a story.

This was really a great buy!
11 comment37 of 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 16, 2009
I have almost every book in this series. I am an art teacher and these books are wonderful and simple enough for ages 5-12
0Comment26 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon April 14, 2009
My husband and I bought this book for my 5-year-old daughter. While he is rather talented as an artist, my drawing ability is probably less than that of my little girl.

The directions in the book are very simple and clear. Each monster is broken down into simple shapes that build one upon another. My daughter talked me into drawing a few monsters and I found that it was quite fun to be able to produce something that was more or less like the finished picture in the book. I've also been very surprised and pleased by what she is able to produce. She likes coloring and drawing but is sometimes discouraged because she can't figure out how to translate something onto paper. She's really taken to this book and her pictures have been quite good.

We all enjoy this book so much that I plan on purchasing other titles in the series.
on December 17, 2008
My [...] has enjoyed this book. The reason I didn't give it 5 stars is that it doesn't stay open very easily, which I think a drawing book should do. Also, none of the drawings in the book are colored, like the front of the book. It would have been nice if 1 or 2 on each page showed a monster colored in.

It does have a nice mix of monsters, some hard, some easy. It definitely interested him to draw monsters, so the concept is a winner. Just wish they'd make those slight improvements.
on June 1, 2007
We love this one.I bought this for a cub scout meeting with 7 year olds and it kept their attention for over an hour :)
on February 23, 2010
My daughter asked me if I could buy some books to assist her with drawing. I bought a couple, how to draw animals, Wizards, and dragon's, how to draw flowers, and this book. According to my daughter who is 11 How to Draw 101 Monsters is a great deal of fun. She likes it because she can feel creative but not have to be perfect. I have taken the time to go through the book with her and we draw the monster's together. I do not have any artist ability but if I were to show my drawing to some one else the picture would most definitely be identifiable. Nice confidence booster for the young one's and adults. I would recommend to others.
on October 30, 2011
The next time someone asks you to tell them "how you really feel" you will be able to show them. Dan provides easy step by step directions on how to draw a variety of silly monsters, but more importantly he gives inspiration and confidence. I have many of his books, and recommend each. Great for children of all ages - and when we draw for fun, we are all children, aren't we? Sometimes there is a special rate of four for the price of three, but well worth the money at full price.
on January 17, 2011
This is a simple, straight forward illustrating book that breaks down steps for drawing lots of little monsters and creepy things. It has no written instructions, just the six boxes with a progressive illustration in each one. The progression doesn't necessarily start with basic structure and fill in detail as a drawing teacher might suggest, it just shows gradual parts of a drawing until it is complete. I think it's a great little drawing resource, especially for the price!
on January 10, 2009
Bought this for our 6 yr. old nephew who loves to draw. He has drawn many of the monsters in this book already and it keeps him busy for a good while. I would purchase this again as well as some of the other How To Draw books. I recommend this book for children who like to draw.
on January 28, 2009
My kids love this book, it's a little hard for my six year olds but I think next year they will be much better at following each step.