Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now DOTD

Format: PaperbackChange

on March 26, 2009
I am artistic and love drawing with my kids. I really like all of Barbara Soloff Levy's books. She uses only a few, uncomplicated steps. My girls (7 & 5 years) can sit down with these books and follow the steps themselves.
0Comment48 of 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 18, 2009
This book was a gift to a nine year old who was tired of coloring and wanted to learn to draw. This book provided the perfect tool to get her started. She an I were both thrilled.
0Comment26 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 19, 2013
This book may be a bit more difficult as some shapes are composed of free-hand drawn curving lines. Each project has 3-4 steps. Adding different parts of the animal builds the total picture. Dashed lines indicate lines to be erased. This book differs from the other beginning "How to Draw..." by this author because it instructs how to build texture. Texture in the form of fur and feathers. A practice page is adjacent to the instruction page. However, the practice page has the next project on the other side. Depending on skill level, tracing paper may be a definite to help with practice because of the free-hand drawing. I would suggest a drawing pad, as well. I would have given it 5 stars if it had a practice page which could be removed.
on January 13, 2009
Great step by step sketches! Nice colors and easy to follow. Kids would love this, grown ups too!
on April 1, 2014
My kids (ages 5-9) love to draw and were excited to get this book! I would recommend it - it's a bit too hard for my 5 yr old but my 7 and 9 yr old really enjoy it.
on January 2, 2012
I got this for my 7 year old nephew who loves to draw and is always trying to get things just right. He immediately grabbed a pencil and started drawing the different items in the book. They are easy to follow and not frustrating. Great gift!
on August 9, 2011
This is a win-win situation for us. Our granddaughter really cherishes animals, but cannot have a pet at this time. She is enjoying drawing animals & learning how to look @ the physical makeup of what she is drawing while putting her conception on paper. It is a painless way of instruction, just what a parent type wants for a child, a learning tool that the child eagerly values. Good choice for us!
on November 27, 2012
Perfect for my 5 year old daughter. My 13 year old son liked the way it processed the information on the how-to steps. I would recommend this book to anyone.
on September 9, 2014
Another winner as far as my husband and I are concerned. I earned Amazon gift cards by completing surveys, this is one of two drawing books I ordered for our Audrey , who wants to be an illustrator when she grows up, she is eight. She loves this and shares with her siblings, who also really like this book. The first few weeks it was a squabble over who would get it first after homework was finished, lucky we have several drawing books purchased through Amazon, so the arguing didn't last long. love this series though, the wide array of animals, the ease with which the children seem to be able to not only copy the drawing but start drawing these same animals on there own and putting their own spin on their creations. I would suggest anyone get this for their little ones , or their big ones, or shoot, even for yourself!
on December 12, 2015
I looked for awhile to find a sketch instructional for my niece (8). I loved this one in particular, because it has step by step photos of each animal. I looked at many others which had only one finished drawing to copy - I felt they were not practical to teach someone how to improve their skills. The only downfall to this book is that it lacks any verbal drawing instruction (picture only) - but for the price and purpose I needed it for, I would definitely recommend it. If you are more of a visual learner, you can't go wrong.