Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 26, 2009
I am artistic and love drawing with my kids. I really like all of Barbara Soloff Levy's books. She uses only a few, uncomplicated steps. My girls (7 & 5 years) can sit down with these books and follow the steps themselves.
on December 19, 2013
This book may be a bit more difficult as some shapes are composed of free-hand drawn curving lines. Each project has 3-4 steps. Adding different parts of the animal builds the total picture. Dashed lines indicate lines to be erased. This book differs from the other beginning "How to Draw..." by this author because it instructs how to build texture. Texture in the form of fur and feathers. A practice page is adjacent to the instruction page. However, the practice page has the next project on the other side. Depending on skill level, tracing paper may be a definite to help with practice because of the free-hand drawing. I would suggest a drawing pad, as well. I would have given it 5 stars if it had a practice page which could be removed.
on January 18, 2009
This book was a gift to a nine year old who was tired of coloring and wanted to learn to draw. This book provided the perfect tool to get her started. She an I were both thrilled.
on August 9, 2011
This is a win-win situation for us. Our granddaughter really cherishes animals, but cannot have a pet at this time. She is enjoying drawing animals & learning how to look @ the physical makeup of what she is drawing while putting her conception on paper. It is a painless way of instruction, just what a parent type wants for a child, a learning tool that the child eagerly values. Good choice for us!
on January 13, 2009
Great step by step sketches! Nice colors and easy to follow. Kids would love this, grown ups too!
on April 1, 2014
My kids (ages 5-9) love to draw and were excited to get this book! I would recommend it - it's a bit too hard for my 5 yr old but my 7 and 9 yr old really enjoy it.
on January 2, 2012
I got this for my 7 year old nephew who loves to draw and is always trying to get things just right. He immediately grabbed a pencil and started drawing the different items in the book. They are easy to follow and not frustrating. Great gift!
on February 10, 2016
"How to Draw Pets" is an interesting little book. One the left page are the steps and the right page is blank, so you can use it to draw the animals on the left. This is great for children. For adults (and I think this is actually geared for kids, but not noted as such), I think it would be better to have instructions on both side of the spread, which would double the number of animals one could learn. For me, even with one child, I would prefer more content.

With kids, especially if more than one in the family is interested in drawing, I would copy the page, give each a copy, lots of paper, and let them go to work, thereby saving the original for future use. The actual paper in the book is not artist grade, so you lose nothing by doing the above.

The steps were easy for me to follow, and once explained, I think most kids would get it, too. To use this book, you need to understand shapes. The author uses the principal that everything is made up of shapes, and if you draw those shapes, placing them in the correct spot, you can draw anything. At its most basic, this is true.

Each animal has 4 steps, beginning with the initial shape(s), such as an oval body and a round head. The next step might add the tail and legs. The third step adds more detail, and the fourth step shows the completed animal. There is no text on any of these pages. So if you are expecting, "Step 2, draw an 1" line, connect it to the oval body. This will be the tail," you will be disappointed. (I made that step up for example purposes.) In that respect, there are no instructions. The author has simple broken down the animal to its basic shape and added new shapes in each step.

KIDS will likely enjoy this little book and the subject matter is fun (what kid does not like animals?).

For ADULTS, I prefer "Everyone Can Draw" by Shoo Rayner (who has a great YouTube channel), or, if you are really serious about learning to draw, I'd suggest "You Can Draw in 30 Days" by Mark Kistler.
on October 25, 2014
It may take a while, and I might have to stick my nose in and jump start things, but my little neighbor is free-style drawing some neat stuff. At eight, she already has plans to start her own greeting card company. So, what's not to like about this?
on September 9, 2014
Another winner as far as my husband and I are concerned. I earned Amazon gift cards by completing surveys, this is one of two drawing books I ordered for our Audrey , who wants to be an illustrator when she grows up, she is eight. She loves this and shares with her siblings, who also really like this book. The first few weeks it was a squabble over who would get it first after homework was finished, lucky we have several drawing books purchased through Amazon, so the arguing didn't last long. love this series though, the wide array of animals, the ease with which the children seem to be able to not only copy the drawing but start drawing these same animals on there own and putting their own spin on their creations. I would suggest anyone get this for their little ones , or their big ones, or shoot, even for yourself!