5.0 out of 5 stars Effervescent and Engaging

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for the casual drinker who likes to entertain
Published on December 28, 2010 by SeaShell

5.0 out of 5 stars Effervescent and Engaging, December 17, 2010
This review is from: How to Drink (Kindle Edition)
This is a must read. The writing is lovely, lively, and engaging. I am blown away by her knowledge and enthusiasm for the subject. It's infectious: like the other reader, I was inspired to search for a delicious tea online, as well as brew myself a pot of my own. The ingredient lists are short and simple, with readily available ingredients (with the exception of the author's reliance on blood oranges. Maybe they are more popular in England?) The recipes are vibrant, elegant, and interesting. She has a great recipe for chile hot chocolate that is so simple and delicious, it is worth reading the book alone. As you can tell by my attempts at a glowing review, I truly loved this book, and would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheers, December 15, 2010
Elizabeth (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Drink (Kindle Edition)
Nice little book for my Kindle. Lots to learn and very good hints and tip. This is a subject of which I have only a smattering of knowledge, I should say. So as an occasional drinker, I am finding this read useful. Good to pickup right before the holidays!

Just had to add, after spending some more time with this little gem, it's really worth a read. Very well written and evocative. Heck, it even drove me to Amazon to hunt for a certain tea!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good cookbook for drinking, December 24, 2010
This review is from: How to Drink (Kindle Edition)
Review written and posted with a Kindle. This was a nice little book and the first one read on my new Kindle. I have a couple of other cocktail books, but this one contains a whole new approach in so far that it recommends drinks according to the season, which I find to be refreshing. I will be using this book often as a reference. Well worth the price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for the casual drinker who likes to entertain, December 28, 2010
This review is from: How to Drink (Kindle Edition)
I love to entertain, and if the occasion calls for a good microbrew, I'm always confident that I'll have something on hand that will please my guests. The problem is that not all occasions call for beer, and then I'm lost. This quick read covers everything from making a good cup of tea or coffee to wine to mixed drinks. It doesn't recommend spending a ton of money stocking your liquor cabinet and building your glassware collection, but does help you figure out what the essentials are. Bring on the guests, I'm ready!

I think the content deserves 4 starts, but I've knocked a star off my rating only because the book does not have a navigable table of contents. Being able to jump to a specific section or recipe is essential with a book like this, and the fact that the publisher did not bother to give us that ability is really unpardonable. I've gotten around it by bookmarking each section, but what a pain!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hysterical reading--and super-informative, December 28, 2010
This review is from: How to Drink (Kindle Edition)
Every once in a while a food writer comes along who, along with a keen palate, is also gifted with a sense of poetry and wit--and dare we even ask for it?--good humor. Victoria Moore is blessedly one of those. You can randomly pop in on any page in this book, read a passage, and burst out laughing. Great to read aloud to others--just give it a try. And then because of Moore's wild and uproarious observations, you end up learning as you go. And, without doubt, to have the deep knowledge of a Guardian UK wine columnist is devoutly to be desired.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bottoms Up, May 17, 2011
This review is from: How to Drink (Kindle Edition)
Very informative, easy and fun book to read. I've been looking for a book like this for a while. A lot of great recipes, and is a good reference book to have. There was so many tips and how to's that I didn't know, truly a gem of a book.

5.0 out of 5 stars delightful, April 15, 2011
This review is from: How to Drink (Hardcover)
I got a Kindle for Christmas and this was the first book downloaded for FREE. I thought it might be about how to take small sips and breath deeply to keep from getting too drunk. But it was much more interesting than that sort of thing. The thesis is "there are lots of good cook books around that help heighten the pleasure of eating; why not do the sme thing for drinking?" She did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice addition to the cookbook shelf, January 28, 2011
This review is from: How to Drink (Kindle Edition)
I have tons of books about cooking but none specifically about beverages so I was intrigued by the concept of a book pairing drinks and foods. This is NOT just a book about alcoholic beverages by any means (although there are plenty of recipes for those in there). Instead, this is about what to drink with what and when. I found her suggestions for winter beverages spot on and am looking forward to going back through the book again come spring (and summer and fall!).

Reading this book gave me a new perspective on how beverages match with food and left me more thoughtful when it comes to food and beverage pairing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, February 26, 2014
This review is from: How to Drink (Hardcover)
I love this book, great simple drink recipes with funny personal back stories, and societal references by the author. It's an easy breezy read, nothing complicated just simple and funny and a good reference with good side humor.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good & Educational Too, October 10, 2013
This review is from: How to Drink (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this in the same way I enjoyed American Terroir -- only this one didn't keep my attention quite as well. I did learn a lot though, which I always appreciate!

How to Drink
How to Drink by Victoria Moore (Hardcover - November 18, 2009)
$18.99 $14.23