Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Movember Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on Tikes

on September 4, 2009
I select and buy books for our Columbine Genealogical and Historical Society to donate to local libraries. This book got my attention when it arrived and I am utterly amazed at the quality and detail of its contents. George is legend in the genealogy community, he has done it all and his advice and examples in this updated 2nd edition are dead on. His examples are perfect and his text lean and to the point. I've done lots of genealogy research, and I was picking up new tips in each chapter, like this bit of advice to get access to today's 'semi-restricted' public records found on pgs 317-318:
(quote)"... Be prepared by carrying a copy of your pedigree chart with you, along with copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses, death certificates, obituaries, and other documentation that might prove your relationship. The fact that you 'are' prepared to prove your relationship speaks volumes to the people from whom you make these requests." (end quote)
I have recommended this book to our society instructors as well as numerous friends. Much of the material in this book comes from George's seminars which are always top notch. Considering the price of seminars these days, the book is a true bargain!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I have been dabbling in Genealogy for a few years now. I have read, and in fact own, several books on the subject. I thought I knew quite a lot. I picked this book up at the local library sort of on whim; well, more than a whim because I needed some information in my battle with our government over some military records of long passed relatives. I brought the book home to study that particular section. I ended up reading the entire thing, cover to cover! I found I knew far less than I thought I knew!

Good grief, if I had to pick and choose and be allowed only one book on this subject, I would most certainly, without hesitation, pick this one. I learned more in the four days it took to read the thing than I have learned from all the other books I have read combined, and all the seminars I have attended. I felt a mild (well, actually it was more than mild) attack of chagrin when I finished and began realizing all the money I have wasted....arrrrrgh!

From setting up and organizing (an area in my life that needs a lot of work), through the actual process of DNA testing, it is all here. Research methods, obscure unthought of sources, methods of snipping though the endless red tape (this aspect of this hobby, if you want to call it a hobby, drives me up a wall), traditional and nontraditional methods and sources of research, on-line resources, planning a successful genealogical research trip, cost considerations, (did I mention valuable and obscure research sources?), searching in other countries, cemetery research, and the list goes on and on and on.

One of the best and most delightful aspects of this book though is its readability. The author writes for the reader and not to the reader or down to the reader. He says what he wants to say and does not muck around about it. You get the information you need served up in a very straightforward manner. No mumbling and word play here. I do love and appreciate this. I will bet that this guy is one heck of a teacher.

And for me the absolute best thing, and one of the most helpful, where the author's tips on organizing the information you already have and the information you will get, and be able to record all of this information into a comprehensive format(s) that you and others can actually read and make sense of. That information alone is pure gold as far as I am concerned.

The book is very will organized, very well referenced and liberally illustrated. At 442 pages of high quality paper, it is a heavy puppy but not so heavy that it is a burden to pack with you on your many trips.

My Scrooge like qualities as to money are legendary in my family as well as among my friends, but I am actually going to spring for the bucks and buy this volume to add to my collection...actually, I might well sell the other books on this subject and stick with just this one!

Don Blankenship
The Ozarks
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 23, 2010
If you need a book that covers just about everything you need to learn in genealogy this is the one! I have met the author and his personality comes through in the writing of this book. Very easy to understand with lots of notes and tips.
on April 26, 2011
Excellent condition. This book especially good for someone new to genealogy. It also can be helpful to a seasoned genealogist in jogging the memory on places to search and added insight to understanding what has been found. Overall, just a great book to include in my own library.
on April 3, 2010
This is the best book I have seen for beginners. It covers all the basic information needed without talking down to the reader.
on June 7, 2011
I selected this book after reading the many reviews. It is to be a birthday present for my daughter, who is into this type research. After receiving the book I checked it out and had my wife, Janie, do likewise. Janie does a lot of family history. We both agreed it is a wonderful book and helps to walk the researcher through various methods of research.
What real cops do. Another wonderful book.
on May 23, 2010
How to Do Everyhing Genealogy is an excellent title for this book - I found it helpful and informative in areas that I have previously researched and it provided an excellent introduction to areas that I had just discovered I needed to research. An excellent overview of the available records and a research book that I will continue to refer to for many years to come!
on November 24, 2011
This is the first and only book I have read on genealogy. It is filled with a wealth of information although EXTREMELY repetitive. I felt that a simple table could have resolved the issue.
on April 21, 2011
I really like this book and it's layout. I am hooked on working on our family tree. This will really help.
on July 9, 2013
I have been doing "Family History " research for many years, for people across the USA whom I met through my Genealogical Society magazine. It is the reason I learned to use a computer at a time when ladies my age did not!! The Genealogy Book helped renew myenthusiasm and courage. It gives me new ideas of attack in finding clues to my ancestors, both the Germanic Lutherans who came over in the 1730's and my Cherokee, who, I tell those who claim to have ancestors on the Mayflower, "met them at the Shore!"