5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised How Much I Enjoyed This!
Goldfarb's book is one of the most pleasant surprises I've read in a while - I'm so glad a friend put it in my hands. I couldn't put it down! I read it in two days and then a week later decided to read it again.

Published on December 2, 2010 by Libby Cobert

2.0 out of 5 stars Still not sure....
Published on October 10, 2012 by gmt

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised How Much I Enjoyed This!, December 2, 2010

The last "dude" book I was convinced to read was Tucker Max's "I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell," which I admittedly enjoyed (though I might deny that in person). While this book does fall into the same category based on the narrator's playboy attitude and acerbic tone, "How To Fail" is funnier, sweeter and actually a bit insightful. Also, I loved that it was one narrative as opposed to a compilation of vignettes. The protaganist in "How to Fail" is a somewhat lovable/somewhat hatable character, but his story and experiences are relatable and shockingly honest.

For girls, if you like Chelsea Handler's kind of humor, you'll really dig this too. Guys, you either know this guy or you are this guy, and either way will find the story hilarious to read. Highly recommended. (That is, recommended for those who are comfortable with swearing and explicitly detailed romantic encounters - don't give it to your grandma.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sexy comedy!, January 8, 2011
I got this book for Christmas and I was like, "WTF?" It looked kind of stupid and childish, and, you know what? It was. But it was also hilarious. One of the funniest books I've ever read. I'd finished it before my vacation weekend was over. I've read and enjoyed other "fratire" books by Tucker Max, Aaron Karo, and Maddox, but "How to Fail" is my favorite so far. It had a sweet core that the other lacked. And it's smart too. So I'd recommend it to any one looking for a good, smart laugh that's a quick read too.

5.0 out of 5 stars There Are No Vampires in This Book, December 16, 2010
My wife reads about a hundred books a year. They're all basically the same book- vampires eating warewolves or witches
trying to find love or something like that. Even the covers look the same. Sometimes she even reads a book she's already read by accident. Maybe she's crazy. Or maybe the bulk of books out there are bland, unmemorable bowls of oatmeal. How to Fail is NOT a book you'll forget you read.

I was first introduced to the author through his blog (theviceblog.com) as I was searching for beer reviews. Most beer review sites consisted of a pretentious dude who tasted 20-30 different things in every beer. They were all the same- 'cept for The Vice Blog- it had a crazy way of mixing a beer review with some real life anecdote. It was original and I spent about three hours one night (after a few fine ales, natch) browsing the "Best Of" page. How to Fail is the same thing- Original. It has a feel to it like your buddy is telling you hilarious stories over beers at the local watering hole. But beyond the humor and cynicism is some really good observations about life and human nature. It actually gives you some things to think about.

If you want to read a book that's exactly like the last one you read maybe How to Fail isn't for you. But if you want something that's memorable and different, pick up a copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, yet intelligent, ... a must read satire on life!!, January 9, 2011
Hilarious, yet intelligent, ... a must read satire on life

I have not read a book quite like this one, and was pleasantly surprised at how different, yet funny and intelligent a book "How to Fail" is, inspite of all it's foul language. I did not want to put it down even when I finished it. It's as if Goldfarb is taking possible real life situations of his own life, and putting the narrating main character, Stu, even deeper into those hilarious circumstances. Having lived in New York City many years, and being in a professional job, yet struggling to live a good life, I particularly enjoyed his detailing explicit lists of what neighbors, landlords, and apartments in New York are often like for many. Again, I found myself thoroughly enjoying Stu's humorous take on living in the big city. I also found the chapter on how to fail your parents quite enlightening and incredibly funny. I could go on and on, and talk about the many other hilarious chapters about Stu's work and love life; just get the book. You will love it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Still not sure...., October 10, 2012
wavered between two and three stars for this book. I finished it, but was not sure after reading the ending, if I should have. Another book that I am very glad was a free download. Don't know if I would have wanted to pay for it. It had some very funny parts, but most of it jumped around too much. The sexual descriptions and language were quite vulgar. If you don't like crudeness, don't ready this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny, January 10, 2011
I'll admit that I rarely read fiction. So I was pleasantly surprised when I picked up this book. We live in a world inundated by "self help" books trying to sell you shortcuts to lose weight, make more money, meet new friends, etc. As if the "magic pill" exists among these pages for only $19.95!

What's great about HTF is its counter-intuitive commentary on the social issues and status quos many of us hold so sacred. HTF pokes fun at them and examines them in a completely new way. Goldfarb is an excellent writer and extremely funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Uncommon Perspective- Worth Reading!, January 3, 2011
This is actually one of the first books I've read in a while. I'm fully literate and all, but most of my reading is limited to news/magazines/Joe Lundardi's latest Bracketology Blog. I got sucked in by the anti-self help concept and gave it a try. I'm really glad I did. The thing I enjoyed most about the book was the uncommon and hilarious perspectives offered by the author. It takes a perceptive/witty/demented mind to offer a lot of these points of view. I will definitely look at some things differently after reading the (mis)adventures of Stuart Fish, and am strongly leaning toward treating any future children I have like garbage (you'll understand if you read the book). Speaking of children, this book is about as child friendly as a Christmas subscription to Hustler, a fact which I enormously enjoyed as I looked over my shoulder to make sure that nobody could see exactly what I was laughing at while I read it. I also have a suspicion that you may think twice about reading this book if you are an ex-girlfriend of the author.

I definitely recommend this book if you're up for some smart laughs and graphic detail of topics that you won't find in many adopted by your wife's book club. I suspect that you'll probably end up stealing some of the observations Stuart makes and claim them as your own at the next wine and cheese party to which you are dragged. Finally, this is my first book read on the iPad version of Kindle. What a pleasure! Nice work on the readability and formatting. After this experience, I might have to take up reading on a more regular basis...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, January 5, 2011
I read a lot and I enjoy most books so it is not surprising that I enjoyed this book. What is note worthy is that about a fourth of the way through the book I became hooked and wanted to read nothing else. I normally have about five books going at any one time, each one at a different location (that way I never have to remember to bring a book with me). I usually pick up and put down these books freely. With this book I began carrying it around.

It's funny and can provide you with a totally new and unique perspective or at least provide validation for your own, already twisted, one.

Hutch

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Read...Need to Follow Up w/ a Movie, February 2, 2011
Classic read that needs to be followed up with a movie. I had a great time reading it and could not put it down. Look forward to future books from Aaron....Highly recommend everyone purchase the book and tell their friends to do so as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem of a read...., January 12, 2011
Taking the reader through the self-examination that comes to anyone who eventually pauses to examined his life, Goldfarb's "Stu Fish" goes to the extremes of questioning all of the usual and expected paths in life, and goes the other direction as far as possible. The provacative and sometimes crass (but always polite) main character gets into your head. I found myself eager for the end of day to go on the next hilarious and almost hard to watch journey with this guy. Great book! Goldfarb is a beautiful writer with an edgy and interesting take.

How to Fail:  The Self-Hurt Guide