Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

on October 12, 2012
I just finished reading this. I got it from the library but it has so much helpful info in it that I just ordered it for myself. It covers Google and libraries, finding people, public records etc. I highly recommend this for anyone who wants to find things. It discusses syntax tools like using an asterisk and brackets and other info I never heard of before.
44 comments38 of 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 21, 2012
Disclosure: I know Don Macleod, and I was part of the team that helped him begin the process of writing this book by curating the class which he first taught on the topic. I'm a journalist now, and everything I know about good Internet research is from the contents of this book. I can easily find out anything about anyone, usually for free, and my searches for information -- be they for a particular study or about an individual, or anything else -- take so much less time because of simple word-choices in my searches. This isn't just about the Internet. It's about learning to think and ask questions in a way that puts you in control of the information you receive. I can't recommend this book, or its author, highly enough.
0Comment53 of 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 17, 2013
This book is for those individuals who are just learning about searching on the Internet; focusing on the Google search engine. The title is subjective and there is nothing "extreme" found within the pages. Chapter 3 "Ins and Outs of Google" provides a simple introduction to search queries syntax but falls short on more advaced search criteria concepts. I did not feel like I got the information I wanted or desired from this book. The rest of the book, in my opinion, reiterates the obvious and provides links (URL's) to sites of interest but nothing that a person could find on their own.

Do not get this book if you are intermediate to advanced with computer technology and already have a strong understanding of the World Wide Web.

If you are very new to how the "Interwebs" works, this book might be right for you.
55 comments37 of 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 29, 2013
This is a great reference for investigators of all experience levels. For its size and price it is packed with useful sources. Internet tools and sources change rapidly so any publication, regardless of size is quickly obsolete. I have purchased other resources, and have spent years compiling my own list of useful sites. This book is more than just a list, it includes tips on making the best use of the tools it contains.
0Comment23 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 3, 2014
I teach information literacy at the library. I use this book as my aid and think it is the best book on the subject
of online research because:
a) It is written in a friendly and comfortable style
b) It is NOT a textbook
c) It focuses on connections more then the new fad technology

This is a great book and I encourage
Don to write more books for information literacy educators
to share with their students.
on February 22, 2013
I went through it quickly and it does cover some items you may have had in the past in searching on Google. It's OK, but it really could have been a pamphet not a book. It would, though, recomment it to teens and older adults who have had limited internet usage.
on November 4, 2013
This book is excellent. I am a librarian. I took a reference class years ago. This book would have been a great supplement to the course.
on February 12, 2013
If you need to search for information frequently, this book will pay for itself just for the chapter on "googling" effectively. Of course, everything you find here you can find on the internet- but here you get everything in one neat bundle. After (and during) reading this book, I found a lot more information on how to get information, and this has helped tremendously not just with my projects, but also with my daughter's schoolwork. She is also becoming quite proficient in her searches.
0Comment12 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 13, 2015
Book would only be ten pages long if the removed the rest of the contents it's always referring back and repeats itself constantly
on May 30, 2015
This book does a decent job of giving you directions on where to look - sources for both online and offline, if you are not very clear how to do research. In the way it was structured, it is helpful.

I gave it four stars because my focus was on Internet research and so I was quite dismayed to find that the various sources stated in the book for Online Research led to some dead links or to sources that had ceased operations. I did not try out the sources for the offline suggestions so can't comment on that.