Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: How Ganesh Got His Elephant Head
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Hardcover|Change

on October 30, 2004
My daughter who is four loves this book. I was a little surprised that she liked it so much, since it is a little advanced for her. The only reason that I do not give it five stars is that the story has been altered slightly to be more palatable to today's kids. For instance, the Gods ask permission from an elephant mother before taking her son's head and putting it on Ganesh's body. This was not in the original story, and since we are talking about a religous text, this is the equivalent of telling children that Jesus drank grape juice instead of wine. Still a great book, but the story has been slightly sugar coated.
on July 24, 2005
My son loves the book How Ganesh Got his Elephant Head! I have read it to him and his friends at least a hundred times! Although the author's choice of vocabulary is complicated for a five year old, my son has learned many new words and their meaning.

He says, "I like the pictures and learning about each of the Gods is fun. My favorite part is matching each God with his or her vehicle. How come Ganesh does not squish the mouse his rides?"
on May 18, 2004
Kids ages 6-9 who are sampling multicultural folklore will relish How Ganesh Got His Elephant Head, a wonderful collection of classic Indian stories. Pieter Weltevrede's bright full-page color drawings enhances these Indian classic folk tales, which should be part of any serious picturebook multicultural collection.
on October 5, 2015
Not only is this book beautifully illustrated, but the story is nicely told. I bought it for my 6 year old daughters and they love reading it over and over again. I would estimate that this is for grade 1 reading level or above. Overall the general quality of this series (storytelling and illustrations) is quite high. I have purchased several in the series and would like to collect them all - makes for a nice collection for Hindu kids raised in the west and is generally good all around for those who just want to learn about the Hindu religion.
on May 29, 2012
I am not a student of Hindu Mythology but was recently moved to learn about the archetype of Divine Unconditional Love and Compassion embodied in the Hindu goddess Paravati. Thankfully, a friend recommended this children's book about the elephant-headed Hindu god, Ganesh, as an introduction to Paravati, who is his mother. The book is a beautifully illustrated story of feminine unconditional love, compassion and strength. When Paravati speaks, her god-consort Shiva hastens to enact her will! Hence, Ganesh gets his elephant head. This book is a fine example of excellent children's literature which is fit for adult readers as well as young ones.
on September 8, 2014
Lots of reviews say their 4 year old like the book, but it is LONG for a 4 yr old. I would have preferred a more abridged version for a kid this young. I would think this is better for a 6-7 year old.
VINE VOICEon December 13, 2008
I grew up reading Amar Chitra Katha comics that tell Hindu (and other) religious stories and Indian Folk Tales in a very straightforward (sometimes slightly graphic way). I still have a large collection I'll pass on to my kids, and their telling of Ganesa is my favorite.

Compared to those, this is a slightly less appealing though still decent telling of the Ganesa story. It takes some creative license (it leaves out some of the "color" to how Ganesa received the elephant's head, for exxample) that results in a story that is a bit too toned down/altered for my tastes, but it's still good.
on August 17, 2007
Beautifully illustrated, wonderful story told in an interesting style for children (and adults).
Highly recommend for anyone interested in Hindu culture.
on September 22, 2007
This is a great introduction to (or addition to a collection) centered around Ganesh. The story is brilliantly illustrated and the text is great. I was very happy with the purchase.
on October 21, 2007
My daughter loves the pictures. The story itself was a little over here head , but she did love that it was a bout a mother and her son.