Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Entertainment Collectibles Shop Now HTL

on July 24, 2011
This book's site, The Road Back, offers a plethora of favorable reviews from those who've used this book to ease off psycho-active drugs and into a wellspring of new health. Ditto for a web search of the book's title. It's thus suspicious to me that neither reviewer, of the two reviews present as I write this, has created any other Amazon reviews. Moreover, neither reviewer has put forth authentic critique or content analysis. One of these two was asked by a reader for follow-up experiences in using the book's approach, but has never checked back in.

To me, these reviews are meaningless, and I urge you to look past them. Because these two reviewers haven't been motivated to write feedback on any other Amazon product, I wonder if the submissions are the work of Big Pharma. Perhaps they are efforts to dissuade readers from considering this approach, an approach that uses research to question the use of some of their biggest profit makers, while also providing the basis for all-natural alternatives. Of course, I'm not saying that no authentic critique of this approach exists, but it isn't present here. At any rate, the approach is self-critical (which the author notes), meaning that it is continually evolving and self-correcting, so as to produce even better results.

Despite Big Pharma's inviting ads, taking psychoactive drugs is hardly one's best possible choice when facing difficulties (far from it!). Moreover, this option has consequences which are often kept from the limelight. As for your doctor, he/she is visited regularly by Big Pharma sales rep's, but most definitely is not called upon regularly by those who've benefited from this approach. Think about that before you fold under the pressure of entities which put profit above everything else. I have personally experienced that being off Big Pharma products produces far better long-term health than being on them. I don't mention this to my physician anymore, however, because he tends to look me at like I don't know what I'm talking about.

This book's site (The Road Back) permits the reading of all the chapters on line, because the book is part of a non-profit effort. Though I no longer take anti-depressants, I'm reading this book to be able to recommend to two people close to me. Going off a mood-altering drug can feel scary, especially since psychoactive drugs tend to hide true conditions, while creating their own side effects. Informed support for that task really helps, and this book provides it.

In my case, after learning about the hidden health costs of being on an anti-depressant, I took myself off cold-turkey, and didn't enjoy the withdrawal period. (The book offers research to verify the dangers I'd discovered.) I just wanted the drugs out of me, however, and as soon as possible. Had I known of a program like this, I'd have appreciated being taught how to use all-natural supplements to balance the system during the withdrawal process, while also making up for nutrient loss from ingesting such medications. This book wasn't available back then, however.

Please consider the book on its own merits (and not on the basis of a couple of questionable, no-content reviews). Use the Amazon feature which permits browsing inside the book to get a sense of the science behind this holistic health-embracing approach. I'll close with summary remarks from the author:

"AFTER ELEVEN YEARS of research, assisting tens of thousands of people to get off their psychoactive medication, this book is the final and closing chapter of the development of The Road Back Program. Not to say there will not be future advancements in this program, but the needed foundation for a psychoactive withdrawal program and health program is now firmly in place. The success rate of people now using this program is higher than ever imagined, the basic causes of drug withdrawal symptoms and the human health decline have now been discovered, and the solution is backed by scientific evidence.

The program is simple, effective, and extremely powerful: when applied correctly. You too can have resounding success in getting off the medication and getting your life back. Based on extensive research, specific "nutrients" have been formulated for this program. Their use, in conjunction with the full and complete program, have resulted in an estimated 98% success rate of people getting off psychoactive medication, while also enormously reducing the potential and feared side effects from withdrawal.

What unwanted feelings come from you and what feelings do the medication generate? The program separates these confusing symptoms, and once this separation occurs, the real you will emerge."
(from James Harper, author)
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 4, 2013
I weaned myself off of 150mg Effexor XR in 2007 over a 4 month period and suffered greatly for it, most especially in the long run (ie, 7 months later). I had a false relapse of major depression because of it and went on another drug. At this time, I'm in contact with a woman through an online forum who is going through an Effexor taper (down dose) at this moment. She is following this book to the letter and purchasing TBR supplements. Her journey isn't easy but it is a lot more positive than mine was. In the future, I will use the guidelines in this book to taper (down dose) off of my current medication, which is not a "dirty" drug like Effexor. The secret is this book, a Paleo or JNK diet, and patience. You have to give your brain and body time to adjust and return to homeostasis via SLOW, small incremental changes. In short, following this book, changing your lifestyle, and going as slowly as possible is key. Don't become arrogant or frustrated. You'll go too fast and crash. Be smart--not emotional. The drug withdrawals will be emotional enough for you. Ha! UPDATE: I'm currently using The Road Back Program and their TRB detox/taper kits. I actually feel better OFF of this drug than ON it. The only side-effect I'm having is that I'm tired. I may order AdMax/FemLife and see how it works. I'm tapering slowly (3 months) and just started personal training 3x week, so it's hard to tell what is causing what. (For dirty drugs like, Effexor or Paxil you may need to take 2 years to detox. Do what's right for YOU.) UPDATE: JANUARY 2014, I'm completely off all unwanted medication and have been for a few months now. I still take a sleeping aid at bedtime, but I'm happy with that. I feel clear-headed and even-keeled for the first time in about 13 years. I wish I'd never taken an antidepressant but I really wish I'd found this program sooner than I did. It's worth the effort and even the money--and I'm tight with money. ANOTHER UPDATE: JUNE 2014: I'm still off of all psychiatric medication except for my bedtime dose of a hypnotic. I haven't had any psych issues--just dealing with the pain of wasting years (and money) sedated on not needed medication.
on September 30, 2011
I started the program outlined in this book over a month ago. WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT!
I highly recommend this book and program for anyone who is or has been on psychoactive drugs. Also, the health care professionals who have heard of this book should definitely read it and use it.
on September 8, 2013
I really resent it when people put forth something that is basically a sales pitch for their proprietary formula supplements and require you to pay for the honor of reading/listening to it. This "book" should be free. It may actually be the program information generally handed out when you sign up. If so, then they should say so up front. Either way, it isn't particularly readable, and should be a free "book".

Additionally, the writing is too dry and clinical. I read the first few sections in their entirety, then started skipping and skimming to see if I could find usable information hidden within the drone. I didn't find it. Mind you, I'm not saying it isn't there. I didn't find it because I couldn't stand to actually read every word. The intro says that the book is written for the patient. The subject matter is serious, and they are charging us to listen to their pitch, and making money off the ones who jump on board. They could at least hire someone to make it readable.

What I did find was pages and pages of all the horrible things that can happen and that you may feel when you go off meds. Those of us on meds already know this part by heart. While I agree that withdrawal is serious and something to be prepared for, considering that the book is a sales pitch, I think that the detail that these folks devoted to withdrawal is a scare tactic to show us how badly we need this program and how only they are the ones who will tell us and be open with us and help us through all the ugliness.

The list was depressing, frightening even. Made me wonder what the H-E, double L I am thinking. Get off meds? Am I insane? It almost had me reaching for the blasted things like a lifeline. I hate scare tactics.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 15, 2011
This is the bible for getting off medications safely. Sadly, most meds are both unnecessary and toxic. If the public really knew this and had easy access to it all the time rather than the constant pushing for profits in all media by Big Pharma, we wouldn't be in such difficulty in terms of medical expenses and tragic early loss of life and function. Learn the mantra and live by it of the founder of so called Western Medicine, Hypocrates: "Let medicine be thy food and food be thy medicine." nearly all psychiatric diagnosis are food, exercise,proper breathing ( actually breathing less re the Bohr oxyhemoglobin curve) and mind or spiritually related ( not paying attention to a sense of life purpose and links to community) Heart and circulation issues are a paper tiger as Caldwell Esselstyn, M.D., Joel Fuhrman, M.D. ( recommended by Dr. Oz) and others have demonstrated and Cancer as well as most other diseases have the same root for prevention and treatment as seen in so many works by those two, Michael Anderson,and Gary Null and Konstantin P. Buteyko, M.D. just to name a few.
Bud Weiss Buteyko Practitioner/educator and Nurtured Heart Advanced Trainer.
on April 29, 2013
I have never found any info or could get from a doctor such helpful information as in this book .
I had tried to reduce my meds and get off them before . I have been on Anti Anxiety meds for a number of years .
This book really gives to you in laymen terms what steps to take . If it where not for coming across this book I would have no desire to go down that path due to the side affects . I feel more energy each day and I feel more foccussed .
Their are sometimes in the first two weeks after I started to reduce my meds by 10-15 percent I would feel a little unbalanced mentally but it quickly passes and with each day my body is adjusting .
If you want to get off meds get this in book , do it in baby steps . and feel alive again .

Good Luck on your Journey
God Bless,
on November 14, 2012
This product was quite useful and had a lot of thought-through and researched information.
It's worth a read for anyone who has been on, or knows someone using, psychoactive drugs.
My only complaint is the products they suggest are only available from specific suppliers and the cost can add up - I calculated approximately $1,500 for one person to do the full program.
However, having said that, some products are not compulsory, which can cut the cost down considerably, and the ideas are still sound.
on July 1, 2013
Absolutely the answers I needed in my withdrawal crisis. No one out there knows what these people know, even the psychiatrist who is helping me get off meds. I am on this program and it has carried me through a dark night of my life. You can even contact the authors for help via email or phone. One recommendation: It is good to have the book in hand for reference away from the computer, but there are some importatn supplement suggestions that are updated on the website by the same title.
on December 3, 2012
I would recommend this book to anyone who desires to get off psychoactive drugs safely and have help along the way by people who truly care and want to help and guide you when you need it. The book is very informative and easy to understand. I could not have gotten off my meds smoothly and easily without this book. It is a must for anyone who is suffering from withdrawals from prescription meds. or anyone who has stopped their meds abrubtly and doesn't know what to do to help. There is hope if you follow their program. Thank you so much Jayson Austin. I couldn't have done it without your book.
on December 5, 2012
I was able to discontinue the medication. However they could recommend using the capsules and just pooring some of the beads out as part of the weaning process. I just put the capsule back together before swallowing it. The information on the supplements was very helpful. I started taking them before the weaning process and continued for a time aftwards. I am thinking on continuing to take the supplements full time.