Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on June 5, 2016
I absolutely love Chris Tomlin and this CD did not disappoint...I bought it to listen to on my way to NM, since you can loose radio signals....I found myself listening to it even when I did have radio....I love this CD.....definitely recommend.
on December 27, 2013
This is the first CD of his I've ever bought, and really wasn't that familiar with his work. Love all the songs, and mostly, I appreciate that I can listen and understand every word he sings. A very good collection of worship music.
on July 30, 2015
I love Chris Tomlin he is an amazing Christian singer and always lifts my spirits. I would listen to his voice all day long and still be in a chill calm mood. Christian music calms me and puts me at peace. I love worshiping God with my children on the go. So I got the amazon music app and can listen to this anywhere.
on January 4, 2012
I got this CD as a Christmas gift for my husband. We both love Chris Tomlin and find his music to be very inspirational. We listened to this CD on our holiday roadtrip, and it was such a great way to connect with God on our travels. I especially love the song "Wonderful Cross" and found myself playing it over and over again! If you are wanting to be uplifted and inspired....definitely purchase this CD!
While I have a few worship oriented discs in my collection, they don’t tend to make it to my CD player that often. That’s even true of powerhouse artist Chris Tomlin, and I absolutely love some of his songs that we sing in church every week. So when I saw he was releasing How Great Is Our God: The Essential Collection, I figured this was a chance to get all the songs I love in one place.

Most best of collections like this feature a new song or two. That’s not the case here, although several songs have been rerecorded. I’m not familiar enough with Chris’ music to know for sure which tracks those are, although I can make a couple of guesses.

One of those is the World Edition of “How Great is Our God.” While Chris starts it off and sings some lines here and there, he turns the majority of the track over to worship leaders from around the world who sing a line or two in their native language. It’s different and takes a few listens to appreciate, but I do like it as it shows just how universal the body of Christ is. And the African chanting during the chorus is a great touch.

But don’t despair if you are looking for this song. Chris also closes the disc out with the song, and this time it’s all in English. I believe this is a new recording as well and builds from piano to full on drums and guitar. This anthem is a current favorite of mine, and I love it.

Another new recording is “Forever.” A choir joins Chris on this chorus taken from the Psalms. The new drum pattern is lots of fun and makes a great song even more powerful.

Two of Chris’ updating of hymns are present here. First up is “The Wonderful Cross” with features fellow worship leader Matt Redman. The verses here are the familiar hymn, but there is a new chorus that makes it feel modern. Of course, the drums and guitar help with that, too. Chris does the same thing with “Amazing Grace (My Chains are Gone),” and if possible I love this hymn even more with the new chorus. The song is mostly piano, but it somehow makes the lyrics even more powerful.

Speaking of powerful, there’s one of his newer songs, “Our God.” This anthem is based on the idea from Romans that “If God is for us, who can be against us?” It starts off with strings before more traditional piano and guitar come in and the tempo increases. It’s a great song.

It’s funny some of the songs I didn’t know I know until I got this disc. Songs like “Holy is the Lord” and “Made to Worship” are songs that I’ve heard without even knowing who had made them popular. And speaking of popular, this disc does have his classic take on “Indescribable” and “We Fall Down.”

I’m sure someone better versed in Chris’ music will have complaints about some songs that were included or excluded. All I know is that most of the songs here I like.

Yes, I did say most. There are a couple of songs that are weak. “Famous One” has never struck me as a great song. It just seems disrespectful to call God “the famous one.” Maybe it’s how cheap we’ve made fame in our society, but He is so much more than that. “God of This City” also doesn’t sit quite right with me since I feels like telling God what to do. I’m probably missing something in those songs since the rest of this disc has a proper reverence for God, but those are the tracks I skip over.

The rest of the disc is great, however. So if, like me, you want Chris Tomlin’s best songs in one place, How Great Is Our God: The Essential Collection is the disc to get.
on July 16, 2012
A good choice for anyone looking for contemporary Christian music. It truly is as the CD cover says "The Essential Collection" as it includes many of his popular songs. If you are feeling a little down and need a spiritual lift this is the CD to get!
on January 2, 2015
This is an extraordinary collection of Tomlin's best work. Some of the songs have been updated with new sounds, but they remain true to the originals in many ways. I especially love the "How Great is Our God (World Edition)," as it captures the essence of all nations and tongues singing the praises of the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Truly an amazing collection!!
on December 27, 2013
There has not been a Chris Tomlin song or CD yet that I have not considered as a worship experience. I am not one to get into the technical details of music...I just enjoy it, and Chris Tomlin is one of my favorites. This is the perfect collection of some of his best songs.
on October 24, 2013
Every song on this album is amazing and heart felt praise. If you don't buy any other album buy this one. And the World version of How Great is Our God! Wow - If you want to feel what International Community should be like - that is it!

Chris - You are awesome and you are Spirit Filled - Keep up the God Work! You have blessed me with this album and I will share and share and share!!

Thanks so much. Oh, I plan to push my church praise team to do something quite dramatic with the World version of this song!
on November 7, 2014
I love to listen to this kind of music. Few of my favorites on this CD are from the CD Arriving. Everyone include me wish they could write songs and sing. All I can do ia write are alright poems nothing to get excited about.