Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

I am a psychologist working in a college counseling center, and I frequently recommend this book to my clients. The only thing I don't like about the book is the title, because I think it is misleading. Rather than help to "heal" depression, this book is excellent for helping one to understand their depression and to normalize this experience as a means to reduce self-blame. The best part of this book is its unique, easy-to-read format: the chapters are written in outline form, and each chapter is just 1-2 pages long and printed on the left-hand sides of the pages only. The right-hand side pages contain quotes and sayings from famous people who have experienced depression, including Abraham Lincoln ("I am now the most miserable man living"). A great first step to understanding depression in yourself or someone you love.
on May 2, 1999
I found this book to be a great help while dealing with difficult times. It is simple and quick to read with great quotes and phrases from famous poets and historical people that keep the book upbeat and easy to relate to. I would recommend it to anyone who is feeling that they are fighting the never-ending battle of depression alone.
on February 11, 1998
I do not suffer from depression but two of my very closest friends have and do. Both have read this book and asked me to read it also. It helped them feel like there was a way out, and it helped me understand the right and wrong ways to act around those suffering from depression. I think it is an important book.
on December 28, 2005
When I was at a really bad time in my life, my doctor recommended "How to Survive the Loss of a Love." That book helped me so much that I bought "How to Heal Depression" which is by the same authors. This book proved to be the best $7 I think I have ever spent. It is so simple to read, and makes complex ideas understandable. The authors suggest that you take this book along with you and use it often. That was a great piece of advice, since I'm usually the type to not make any marks in my books at all. My copy of "How to Heal Depression" is full of highlighted lines in different colors, and I often referred to it during that terrible time. Since then, I have recommended both books to friends and family, or bought copies for them, when they were most needed. I even have an extra copy of both books to give out just in case. And I have had to restock those "just in case" books a number of times. Everyone I have given one of these books to has truly appreciated them and has felt helped in some way. I cannot recommend this book enough for anyone suffering from depression or for anyone who knows someone with the disease. It helped my mom to understand what I was going through, and also let her know some things to do to help me. Because when someone you love is depressed, it can be quite depressing for those around the depressed person. The helplessness can be felt on both sides, and this book can help everyone.
on August 23, 2001
I first found this book in the library. While the analysis of what depression is may be excellent but standard, the medical aspects informative but routine, the Healing the Mind section is outstanding and unique. It strikes the right balance between accurate information and humor/surprise. May seem simple, but that's the genius of it. Makes profound ideas easy to comprehend and even FUN. I'm buying my own copy both for myself and to share with friends. The book is a keeper.
on November 17, 1997
When a person is depressed, it takes a lot to get through to them. I spotted this book's colorful cover at a large bookstore chain and suspected from the beginning that I had finally found something really helpful. Even the bold nature of the title, "How to HEAL Depression," appealed to the hopeful kernel deep inside. I was right. It was the most helpful of all the books I read on the subject during the time two years ago when my college-age daughter was battling depression. I had waged my own battle with this problem some 20 years before, and and was thankful that I could recognize the symptoms. This book would have helped me then. I am only glad it was around recently to help us now. "How to Heal Depression" offers a simplicity and straightforwardness that recognizes the delicate nature of the depressed person. When you are depressed, it's hard to maintain an attention span. In order to get through, one needs to make clear, bright, easy-to-understand statements. The fierce inte
on February 6, 2004
I love this book! It should be in the collection of every library and I think it should be in every doctor's waiting room. It's short and sweet and easy to read and it really drives home the point that you're not defective, that other people have the same problem, and there is help. I read the book once, and then I decided I wanted to go back through it and make notes from the pages that really spoke to me. At the end I had more than 100 pages that I wanted to keep quotes from.
on December 10, 1999
For someone suffering from depression, listening to this tape made it worse. I was looking for answers, encouragement and a reason to believe there was hope. Listening to someone speak for a few seconds and then listen to a depressing oldie and birds chirping made me want to throw it out of the window.
on October 31, 2014
One of my favorite "Band-Aids" for dealing with depression, I've read this book over and over and over for nearly 20 years. It is wise, gentle, hopeful and helpful. I've given it to many friends and family members, and find it tremendously comforting with intelligent, thoughtful and caring advice. Strongly recommended!
on March 26, 2011
"How to Heal Depression" is one of those truly rare gems, that, once discovered, is like a shining beacon that can help heal those who suffer from debilitating depression.

The layout of this book is clean, simple and serene, just like "How to Survive the Loss of a Love." So important to someone crippled by depression, who doesn't have the energy to thumb through pages and pages of confusing technical terms.

The co-authors speak from a place of personal experience. Both authors have suffered deep depression and have learned how to overcome this largely misunderstood and stigmatized illness.

I have suffered from depression, sometimes so exhausting and crippling I could not function. This book has helped change my life. I feel more doctors out there need to read "How to Heal Depression" to better help their patients. More people, in general, should read this book. Let's help lift the scarring stigma sadly attached to depression.