Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: How to Host a Murder: The Tragical Mystery Tour
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Pop Ups Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on July 13, 1999
What a great evening! I highly recommend this particular murder mystery if you're just starting out. Almost everybody can play the roles, costuming is fairly easy, and you generally won't get many complaints about either the dinner menu or background music you might want to play. (When my husband and I hosted, we even set up a small dance floor and we all jitterbugged the night away once we'd finished the game!) If you're going to try a dinner party murder-mystery game, try this one first.
0Comment| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 31, 2004
I've played over a dozen murder mystery titles (mainly from this company, Decipher). This is one of their best for two reasons:

1. Mainly because the theme is so much fun. I'm not a child of the 60's, but come on, this is a GREAT opporunity to get a bit crazy.

2. The mystery is very solid. Difficult to figure out but not "out there"/no-way-you-could've-figured-that-out, either.

If your primary concern is the actual mystery component and you don't really care about the 'party' component, you may want to go with "The Duke's Descent" or "The Grapes of Frath" instead. But if you're looking for Good Times, this is the ticket.

RULES OF THE ROAD:

1. Make sure everyone dresses up. This theme is TOO good to waste on people wearing normal clothes.

2. Invite people who like to laugh. This should be a party, not a re-enactment of a CSI episode.

3. Block out several hours to play. This isn't a two hour affair. You should budget (ballpark) 3 to 4 hours for the actual game, not counting any time you might take for food, etc.
on April 24, 2000
The Tragical Mystery Tour is one of the many murder mysteries I've played. I thought it was just as much fun as the others, but much more involved. The story has a very deep plot that requires people to pay attention. The only thing that I can think of that a person buying the game should know is that it is certainly aimed towards an adult audience. It's much more graphic than any of the others I've played. We had children at the party, and I wished after it had started that I had read through the booklets first. Besides that, in a mature group, the game is alot of fun and worth the money. Easy outfits, easy meal/snacks and lots of laughs!
on November 18, 1998
From the invitations... to the dressing up (in your character)... to the well-written plot... this is a classy game. It's the perfect evening for everyone to be involved equally in the conversation and comraderie. I've done about a half dozen of these guys murder mysteries (and one of the competitions - Murder A La Carte) and these How To Host A Murders are much better. I've only guessed the correct murderer one time. This particular title is one of their best. Way to go amazon.com for carrying them. This was as much a comedy as it was a murder mystery. What I've discovered, is that it's the person that moans and groans about "...dressing up, it's going to take too long, it's silly, etc" is the person that has the most fun and really gets into the game.
on October 9, 2003
This was the first game I have bought of Host a Murder. I threw it as a halloween party. It worked out great. There were 8 adults. My partner agreed to handle dinner and the dishes while 8 of us played the game. This worked out really well. It was arkward to play the game while eating though. I would play a round, serve dinner, then pick it pick it back up. Between the third and fourth round, we served dessert. Allow atleast 4 hours to play the game. I also received a cd instead of a cassette for the game. This was a lot of fun.
on September 1, 2003
This was the first mystery game that I ever hosted. We had so much fun with it that I really was looking forward to doing another. This was an evening of laughter and everyone just cut loose. We enjoyed the period and the characters. I would not recomend this to younger people because of the sexual suggestive
language but if you can over look that and just set out to have a good time this is a great way to spend the evening.
on July 27, 2000
This was a hilarious game! It was however very difficult to solve, and would have required paying more attention (our group was having too much fun & everybody kept talking at once!) and taking notes. Not for kids (unless they're really hip) but lots of fun to dress up for too!
on February 27, 2003
I've been wanting to host a murder party for quite awhile now, so I was very excited to finally get the chance. This game was really fun (all my guests enjoyed it) and the costumes are fairly easy to come by. Be careful to invite people that will play along with the character, otherwise it could be a dud. I didn't choose to go with the menu they supplied, but it was still good. One bad thing is that it can really only be played once. Once you know who the murderer is, that's it. And even though it advertises that it comes with a cassette tape, my game came with a CD (which is fine by me, but make sure you have a CD player!). It was a lot of work (cooking, costuming, cleaning, etc.), but we all had fun and I can't wait to host another!
on March 25, 2013
This is a silly, fun game that everyone enjoyed. All the invitations were sent out well in advance and people adopted their personas. We had folks show up in purple suits, bell bottoms, love beads, etc. Everyone liked his or her character and a couple people figured out who did it, though the why was really unclear until reading the result. We were a group of mid-50 year olds and were just behind the 60s generation. We timed it so people came at 6 for drinks and appetizers and they were leaving about 11pm after getting through dinner and all the rounds. The CD was nice to have, though we switched to a 60s radio station ultimately. Materials were well organized and easy to follow. We saved everything and sent it off to our daughter, as the materials can be used over and over if the clues aren't destroyed.
on October 13, 2015
We threw this Murder Mystery Dinner Party. Dressed in period costumes from the 60's that matched our characters. Had 60's music rockin in the ceiling speakers and Apollo 13 playing on the tv screen in the background. A lot of FUN! Enya Goddard-Daveeda (Miss Wisconsin & High Priestess of Church of the Vacant Mind), Burnette DeBrah (political activist and bra burner, now running for Senate), Jamaica Bomblast (herbal remedy queen), Reina Terra (groupie), Karma (the hired help of Hedda Leiss, (singer), later found dead! Muahhhaaa Timothy Bleary (Spiritual Guru), Phillip MaBong (Record Producer), Juan Stepford Mann (Astronaut), Nate Ashbury (student body President at UC Burpley)
review image review image