5.0 out of 5 stars Super dinner-party fun!
Published on July 13, 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun Theme, Very Complicated Story
I enjoyed the theme and my friends and I had a great time getting into to the event. However, the mystery itself was too convoluted and at the end I felt that it was just a guessing game (with maybe a few characters ruled out.) Also, it took a LONG time to go get through. We started at 7:00 p.m. like the game suggested (so maybe it was 7:30 before people really settled...
Published 13 months ago by Jen9087

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Super dinner-party fun!, July 13, 1999
This review is from: How to Host a Murder: The Tragical Mystery Tour (Toy)
What a great evening! I highly recommend this particular murder mystery if you're just starting out. Almost everybody can play the roles, costuming is fairly easy, and you generally won't get many complaints about either the dinner menu or background music you might want to play. (When my husband and I hosted, we even set up a small dance floor and we all jitterbugged the night away once we'd finished the game!) If you're going to try a dinner party murder-mystery game, try this one first.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best of the Series, December 31, 2004
Jay Kelly (Oklahoma City, OK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Host a Murder: The Tragical Mystery Tour (Toy)
I've played over a dozen murder mystery titles (mainly from this company, Decipher). This is one of their best for two reasons:

1. Mainly because the theme is so much fun. I'm not a child of the 60's, but come on, this is a GREAT opporunity to get a bit crazy.

2. The mystery is very solid. Difficult to figure out but not "out there"/no-way-you-could've-figured-that-out, either.

If your primary concern is the actual mystery component and you don't really care about the 'party' component, you may want to go with "The Duke's Descent" or "The Grapes of Frath" instead. But if you're looking for Good Times, this is the ticket.

RULES OF THE ROAD:

1. Make sure everyone dresses up. This theme is TOO good to waste on people wearing normal clothes.

2. Invite people who like to laugh. This should be a party, not a re-enactment of a CSI episode.

3. Block out several hours to play. This isn't a two hour affair. You should budget (ballpark) 3 to 4 hours for the actual game, not counting any time you might take for food, etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars How to Host a Murder- Tragical Mystery Tour, April 24, 2000
By A Customer
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: How to Host a Murder: The Tragical Mystery Tour (Toy)
The Tragical Mystery Tour is one of the many murder mysteries I've played. I thought it was just as much fun as the others, but much more involved. The story has a very deep plot that requires people to pay attention. The only thing that I can think of that a person buying the game should know is that it is certainly aimed towards an adult audience. It's much more graphic than any of the others I've played. We had children at the party, and I wished after it had started that I had read through the booklets first. Besides that, in a mature group, the game is alot of fun and worth the money. Easy outfits, easy meal/snacks and lots of laughs!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most fun dinner parties you'll ever have, November 18, 1998
This review is from: How to Host a Murder: The Tragical Mystery Tour (Toy)
From the invitations... to the dressing up (in your character)... to the well-written plot... this is a classy game. It's the perfect evening for everyone to be involved equally in the conversation and comraderie. I've done about a half dozen of these guys murder mysteries (and one of the competitions - Murder A La Carte) and these How To Host A Murders are much better. I've only guessed the correct murderer one time. This particular title is one of their best. Way to go amazon.com for carrying them. This was as much a comedy as it was a murder mystery. What I've discovered, is that it's the person that moans and groans about "...dressing up, it's going to take too long, it's silly, etc" is the person that has the most fun and really gets into the game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun, September 1, 2003
Penny Halvarson (Warroad, Minnesota United States) - See all my reviews
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: How to Host a Murder: The Tragical Mystery Tour (Toy)
This was the first mystery game that I ever hosted. We had so much fun with it that I really was looking forward to doing another. This was an evening of laughter and everyone just cut loose. We enjoyed the period and the characters. I would not recomend this to younger people because of the sexual suggestive
language but if you can over look that and just set out to have a good time this is a great way to spend the evening.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Host a Murder, it was a success, October 9, 2003
By A Customer
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: How to Host a Murder: The Tragical Mystery Tour (Toy)
This was the first game I have bought of Host a Murder. I threw it as a halloween party. It worked out great. There were 8 adults. My partner agreed to handle dinner and the dishes while 8 of us played the game. This worked out really well. It was arkward to play the game while eating though. I would play a round, serve dinner, then pick it pick it back up. Between the third and fourth round, we served dessert. Allow atleast 4 hours to play the game. I also received a cd instead of a cassette for the game. This was a lot of fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun but hard to win, July 27, 2000
By A Customer
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: How to Host a Murder: The Tragical Mystery Tour (Toy)
This was a hilarious game! It was however very difficult to solve, and would have required paying more attention (our group was having too much fun & everybody kept talking at once!) and taking notes. Not for kids (unless they're really hip) but lots of fun to dress up for too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Night of Fun!, October 30, 2004
This review is from: How to Host a Murder: The Tragical Mystery Tour (Toy)
Let me tell you, I did this game for my 18th birthday two years ago, and it could not have been more of a hit! It was created so well that no one got lost or confused at all! I would recommend this to ANYONE and EVERYONE! We are even thinking of doing it again this year!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Wonderful!, August 6, 2001
A Kid's Review
This review is from: How to Host a Murder: The Tragical Mystery Tour (Toy)
This murder game is fabulous! My friends and I are all in our early teens and even though this game was a little bit grotesque at some times, we just loved it! Although I thought it was a little hard, I still liked the challenge of trying to figure out who the murderer was. It's very convinient, but if your hosting the game for the first time, make sure your guests know exactly how to play, or else they'll be very angry/confused the whole time! I would probably reccomend this to anybody in their teen years that loves mysteries!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, but one time only, February 27, 2003
J. Davis (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Host a Murder: The Tragical Mystery Tour (Toy)
I've been wanting to host a murder party for quite awhile now, so I was very excited to finally get the chance. This game was really fun (all my guests enjoyed it) and the costumes are fairly easy to come by. Be careful to invite people that will play along with the character, otherwise it could be a dud. I didn't choose to go with the menu they supplied, but it was still good. One bad thing is that it can really only be played once. Once you know who the murderer is, that's it. And even though it advertises that it comes with a cassette tape, my game came with a CD (which is fine by me, but make sure you have a CD player!). It was a lot of work (cooking, costuming, cleaning, etc.), but we all had fun and I can't wait to host another!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›