Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Paperback|Change

on February 20, 2008
the nuts-and-bolts of a local campaign. And Judge Grey is blunt about the tribulations a first-time candidate is about to experience.

If you are running for local office, you can't afford not to read this book.
on February 14, 2010
Lawrence Grey's book offers a "business plan" for running for local office. Each chapter covers a different facet from focusing on why someone would want to throw their name (and soul) into the ring to the steps needed to get from filing to winning that seat. I have worked on political campaigns in Florida for thirty years and there is something here for everyone, whether you are the candidate or want to help a friend win a local election.
on March 10, 2015
As a new campaign manager for a city councilman, I found the book very helpful and the CD that is part of the book as well. It covers all the bases briefly and when you are running a campaign you need brevity with intelligent information behind it. I recommend this book.
on April 18, 2008
Reads as a how-to book for aspiring politicians. As a veteran of two political campaigns and just gearing up for my third it touched on everything I have experienced before and added a few new ideas.
on June 23, 2014
There is a newer version of this book available. For the slight increase in price get the newer book. Politics changes too fast to rely on old information.
on August 11, 2013
Reading this book helped me with my campaign for county office. I read it and used a lot of the tips in the book. And, I won the election! I highly recommend this book for anyone starting a local campaign for office.
on July 29, 2010
Actually, this book is a must read for the small-time or beginning candidate who does not have the good fortune of having expensive handlers and a huge pot of strings-attached money. Plenty of factual information, although I would have enjoyed a bit more instruction for the unfunded dark horse candidate.
Also, our state allows absentee voting prior to the actual election day. I lost out in a pre-vote and had to make up with last minute personal contacts. Thus, absentee balloting is critical for a successful race.
The art of being a serious dark horse candidate while keeping under the radar of the machine candidate could have been discussed in greater detail. But, this book is thorough and packed with good advice. If you are considering running for office, give this book a read.
on November 9, 2013
Full disclosure: I was a first time candidate who lost by about 8 votes so this may sound a bit like sour grapes.

I enjoyed this book and found it very helpful BUT the chapter on Winning It One Precinct at a Time (Chapter 16) suggests that the mere contact with voters (especially going door-to-door) will garner you 1.5 times as many votes (The book is also unclear of whether that includes actual contact or just leaving literature on the door of someone who is not home, etc.)

I made personal contact (the people were home) with about 120 folks and received 82 votes (I would've won with 90, this was a small time Fire Commissioners race). This does not include the work of some volunteers who helped me reach about another 100 voters for a total of about 220 voters (actually met). By the way, I had a great voter list of highly active voters.

According to the math of this book, I should've been able to pull in 330 votes, but instead I got 82. Being a newbie, I was counting on the formula that Mr. Grey presented in his book to win.

My main point is this: Don't rely on this formula...there are many factors at play. (In my case I was new to politics, new to the area, have a difficult name and come from a different ethnic background than the majority of the community)

My own thoughts are that if you are going to use a formula, make it one that predicts a fraction of the voters contacted rather than a multiple. In my case it was about 40% (Actual votes / Voters contacted).

Hope this helps!
on July 11, 2011
I read a LOT of different "how to run" books before I jumped into a race in 2004, and this is absolutely the BEST book on the subject available. It covers everything from the first thought of running to Election Day. It is formatted in a time-line so you can always know what to do, and WHEN it needs to be done. It tells you HOW to do everything, or tells you where to get essential information. Anyone planning a run needs to get a copy for their campaign manager as well.
on February 27, 2008
This is a good book for a first time candidate to know what they should be thinking about.