4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating look into the NYC Ball culture
I'm a DJ and big house music fan. I've always taken note of runway or bitch tracks, but for a long time didn't realize many of them were directly born out of this underground culture. I watched Paris Is Burning first, followed by this documentary. Each stands on it's own into showing the viewer what "houses" and "ball culture" are like.
Published 19 months ago by Mike R.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bring it to the Runway...!
A good look forward companion piece to the late 80s era "Paris Is Burning" and where the Ball scene has gone
Published 20 months ago by darryl b washington

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating look into the NYC Ball culture, May 3, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie, October 2, 2013
This review is from: How Do I Look, Harlem Drag Balls (Amazon Instant Video)
This is a decent overview of the history of the Ballroom scene in New York. I was actually glad to see some of the interviews from some of the original cast members from Paris is Burning like Octavia St. Laurent. It was also good to see Pepper Labeija and see that she was involved up until her dying days with the ballroom scene in New York.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun documentary., September 23, 2013
This review is from: How Do I Look, Harlem Drag Balls (Amazon Instant Video)
I really enjoyed watching "How Do I Look". I did not like it as much as "Paris Is Burning" but it was fun to watch. It was interesting to get an update on the stars of "Paris Is Burning". Some parts of this documentary were slow and boring. I think everyone should watch both "How Do I Look" and "Paris Is Burning" to educate themselves about the ball scene and pop culture.

5.0 out of 5 stars Required viewing, March 30, 2013
This review is from: How Do I Look, Harlem Drag Balls (Amazon Instant Video)
An excellent follow up to ¨Paris is Burning,¨ ¨How Do I Look,¨ provides a candid, unpolished look into the lives of the ¨children¨ who make the world of drag balls so fabulous and fascinating. A must see.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bring it to the Runway...!, March 30, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars all the better for being homemade, March 16, 2013
loved it. definitely felt there was a storyline, about how the drag houses became family for their members.
very real. incredible characters. i'm not feeling these other reviewers! true, i haven't seen paris is burning in years. i remember it being a hell of a movie. but how do i look is a movie with great heart. recommend.

1.0 out of 5 stars No Story, Plot Line or Character Development, August 10, 2012
This review is from: How Do I Look, Harlem Drag Balls (Amazon Instant Video)
My partner saw this on Amazon and rented it since we loved Paris is Burning.
We thought that this documentary would be maybe as good so we were excited to watch it.

Boy were we wrong.

Since Paris is Burning we have seen the growth, richness, talent, individuality,
charismatic, charming, caring and the beauty of Drag Queens in all shapes and sizes.
Instead of being the butt of a joke Drag Queens are being more accepted and respected
as you can see in movies and on RuPaul's Drag Race: Season 4 or
any of RuPaul's shows.

Spoiler Alert:

This film looks as if someone put an AD in the Village Voice
asking for old film footage from any Drag Balls or Drag Queens.
Pepper LaBeija is listed in the film but we only get a glimpse
of Pepper in a wheelchair. Pepper died in 2003 this film is 2006.
I don't think Pepper expected anyone to sell a picture of her like that.
(I'm saying that as one who has been in a wheelchair, scooter and
living with AIDS for 30 years).

This film makes no sense; you don't care about the characters because
you never get to know them. There is no storyline just clips thrown together.
I could go on but I'm so bored with this rip off I'll end with one note.

If you want to see a great movie about the true lives and people of NYC Drag Balls
then you've got to see Paris Is Burning!

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking good, April 5, 2014
This review is from: How Do I Look, Harlem Drag Balls (Amazon Instant Video)
I really liked this movie, I've been wanting to watch it since watching Paris is Burning. If you like Paris is Burning you'll love this movie because you get to see how the balls, fashion and people have changed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Makes the ball room scene look really bad. Not a sequel to Paris is Burning. No plot, no message. no artistry in filming., December 18, 2012
Amazon Customer (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How Do I Look, Harlem Drag Balls (Amazon Instant Video)
That transexual Ocatavia was completely inarticulate. I have never heard such a poor use of language from all those inteviewed. Not worth the 2 dollars I paid for.

2.0 out of 5 stars big shoes to fill, September 6, 2012
This review is from: How Do I Look, Harlem Drag Balls (Amazon Instant Video)
Though this movie is still worth a look, by being an unofficial companion to "paris is burning," there is a lot to live up to. That documentary has an almost effortless quality, getting to the reality and personalities of each of it's characters with an unparalleled ease. This successor at times seems forced, without a real logic behind why the subjects are special or why the ball scene still holds our attention. It's as if the director's vision was too broad. Maybe there was so much to tackle that a sole topic couldn't be picked. Still, its worth a look. You get to catch up with several familiar faces and see where these great underground artists have found themselves later.