Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on September 26, 2010
If you're a an entrepreneur that regularly follows Guy Kawasaki or Perry Marshall's missives on Google search and email marketing, you'll want to read this book ASAP. Turner and Shah place social media strategies and platforms in context so that you avoid those "spinach caught in your teeth" kinds of mistakes non-net-natives (like me) tend to make. They also offer plenty of practical tips for fine-tuning efforts on the major platforms, tracking online conversations and dissecting what the competition is doing. It's one of those books you'll refer to over and over again. Especially Chapter 11, How to Use Promoting Platforms to Help you Grow Your Sales and Revenues".

That said, the book is peppered with valuable case studies featuring many impressive Fortune 500 companies. I would have liked more case studies featuring start-ups and smaller companies like ours -- those that have to keep a remorseless eye on the time and effort involved with all social media efforts...
on October 13, 2010
Whether you're a CEO, marketing person, entrepreneur, or just interested in how new media is changing customers' interaction with business, you will find "How to Make Money with Social Media" is informative, accessible, and fun to read. This book emphasizes how a successful social media initiative must be built upon a strong integrated marketing strategy. Marketing basics are visited through a seamless melding of theory and social media tactics. Later chapters focusing on performance measurement provide pertinent advice on how to validate the effectiveness of your social media strategies. Overall, this book captures the essence of what is required to orchestrate a successful integrated marketing campaign.
VINE VOICEon January 3, 2011
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
First and foremost, I could barely read this book. Perhaps the printer skimped on ink; I was reading a pre-release copy. However, I suspect the fault lies with the designer. The font was so light, perhaps even gray not black, that I had to really work to focus on the text. Lose a star right there. Books like this are a form of communication, not a work of art. The text did not communicate.

Second, this is a marketing book that has a lot to say, in a disorganized fashion, about social media. OK enough, I suppose, because plenty of the basic marketing texts on the market today were written before social media became strong enough to warrant attention. But at least half the pages are about basic marketing. Furthermore, if you don't already know your basic corporate marketing, you're not going to get it here.

Third, perhaps it's my own prejudice coming through, but when I read "how to make money with SM, an insider's guide to using new media to grow your business," I expect that the book will be targeted toward people who own their own business. If I were writing a book for people who worked in businesses large enough to have marketing departments and C-suite executives, a more appropriate title would have been, "How to increase sales and profits with SM: ... to grow corporate revenue..." Or something. Of course, that wouldn't sell. But it would be more accurate. (To tell the truth, the occasional paragraph was written for the DIY entrepreneur, but that's not the person testing a social media campaign with a $250,000 budget--FOR THE CAMPAIGN alone.) There are only a very few marketing lessons I can take from the companies with global brands like Nike, Dell, and Geico. Down here in the small business weeds, marketing looks a little different.

The publisher pointed out that my edition had not been proof-read, so please to overlook the typos. OK. That said, and a number overlooked, authors don't get to make grammar jokes and then repeatedly use the word "hopefully." Just one crabby grammarian's opinion, and an editorial point, not a proofreader's catch. In a similarly nit-pickish fashion, using "This surprisingly successful (NOT, by the way; they're still not making money) tool has been widely adopted and is used for everything form business to fun and games" as a DEFINITION of Twitter is sloppy, at best. That is not a definition.

In defense of the book, I might misquote what Churchill had to say about Democracy: It is the worst of all the books about social media, except for all the others. The real gem comes on page 249, "A lead doesn't count for anything until you do the hard work to covert it to a sale. That's the final mile, and it's probably* the hardest mile. But executing that last mile differentiates the social media wannabes from the social media superstars." In truth, all of marketing is organized around that sentence, online and off, web 1.0 and 2.0 and 3.0. How to Make Money is, obscurely, organized around that central idea, but oh, it so could have been made more clear. And that point--taking the clear point of where profit happens and making it more obscure than it had to be--is my problem with this book.

Most social media books simply stop at "the conversation," as if conversations led to sales increases magically. How to Make Money does step you through the map of moving people through a lead generation process, but you may not know that, if you don't already understand how lead gen connects to sales. It could have been a lot more straightforward.

As of today, about half of the five-star reviews have been written by people with extensive review experience, which means their positive reviews are NOT the result of a campaign to get good press. It could be, perhaps, that my struggle to read the text (my eyes are good enough for other books, BTW; got through two other books the same weekend) chewed up any goodwill I might have otherwise had for the content. How to Make Money did not sit well with me.

*That sound in the background is sales departments all over the country, ROTFLTAO.
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Social media is the current rage of the marketing community. It seems that everyone is trying to create a viral YouTube video or develop a huge Twitter following or score with a Facebook Fan Page. There are plenty of marketing "experts" trying to sell the latest tools and techniques for developing a social media campaign. Unfortunately a lot of what is out there is trying to make a quick hit and it not well thought out.

If you are looking for some good solid advice on how to really use social media profitably, then I would suggest you take a good look at How to Make Money with Social Media.

Part one of the book is about the social media landscape. The authors give some background information on the evolution of marketing, what social media is and isn't and how to talk the language in social media. For many seasoned marketers, it seems to start slow. But it is necessary to set the proper foundation to build on and that is just what the authors do.

Part two discusses how to set yourself up for success using social media. Part three covers the various social media platforms. Part four discusses how to integrate social media into your marketing platform. Then in part five they discuss how to measure the ROI of social media. You really need to understand the return you are getting on your investment.

The book is well written and easy to read. At the end of each chapter is a recap with the "key concepts" covered in the chapter and some suggested "action steps" to take based on what was covered. There are also "Money-Making Tip" sidebars scattered throughout the book.

For those just getting into marketing with social media, this book will certainly be a helpful guide to getting started on the right path. It should also be helpful to more seasoned marketers who are struggling to make social media work for them.

The book covers all the basics very well but constantly reminds you of the business principles that you should keep in mind. For example, "when developing any marketing campaign, you need to 1) identify the key drivers for success, 2) develop specific campaign objectives, and 3) know exactly which outcomes you are seeking to achieve."

A very handy book which will definitely help you improve your social media marketing.
on September 24, 2010
I've been waiting for this book to come out for a long time. Jamie Turner's blog is read by marketers around the globe and Dr. Shah is a well-respected marketing professor at Emory University. The good news is that this book met my high expectations. It breaks social media down into bite-sized chunks so you can easily digest it. Plus, it's written in an approachable, conversational style that makes it a pleasure to read. My only regret is that the chapter on mobile media and augmented reality could have been longer. I find mobile media fascinating and would love to have read more. Overall, an excellent book for business people and marketers who want to learn how to make money through social media programs.
VINE VOICEon December 14, 2010
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was disappointed with "How to Make Money from Social Media." With such a great title, I was anticipating an excellent breakdown of the most useful social media platforms and how to use them: what to post about to create earnings, which types of social media work best for different types of businesses, full-fledged analyses of the target audience of different platforms, and so on. I wanted something meaty and specific to give me insight towards creating income from social media.

Instead, this is a basic business marketing book with a social media slant. It's hardly the "insider' scoop that was promised. I personally feel this book misrepresents itself in order to sell copies. Good marketing? For them, maybe.

I know a lot about social media and there was nothing useful or new here for me. Start a Twitter account, and a Facebook Fan Page. Set up your LinkedIn profile. Make a video for YouTube. If this is speaking Greek to you, then you might be this guide's target audience.

If you are a beginner to any sort of marketing, and have not dabbled in social media to any professional extent, then you will probably find this text useful. Pages and pages go by discussing traditional marketing concepts like consumer behavior models, setting objectives, moving product and conducting internal situation analyses. Hey, if you wanted to write a marketing treatise, just say so in your promotional materials.

When social media is addressed, it's all very basic. You will be told to engage. That social marketing is a dialog, not a monologue. There are charts that compare (not in an in-depth way) the top social media platforms and their use for marketers. Useful links for gathering traffic data are provided. A checklist towards the back of the book can help you get a new social media campaign off the ground from scratch (if you can ignore the claims that you need to purchase this book for everyone you know, including 'complete strangers' - really, now?).

Some of the Action Steps at the end of each short chapter might be helpful, and I appreciated the action-oriented format presented. The book is a simple read (I whipped through it in a couple hours this afternoon) and might be greatly helpful if you are a non-web-savvy business owner.
on November 6, 2010
The title is misleading in it's simplicity but this book delivers in a way that puts many others to shame. I've been online for several years and I'm certainly comfortable with all manner of social media but every chapter in this book included gems that forced me to take note and immediate action.

The reviews of key themes at the end of each chapter and the concluding chapter that summarized the book were fantastic places for highlights and bookmarks for future reference. The book wastes no pages in providing extensive coverage of the most popular tools without unnecessary fluff or bias. It's easy to read and will keep you hungry for more all the way to the last page.

I've read several books on this subject--almost all of them--some are decent, others are quite good, many have been completely lacking but this is among those that are required reading for any social media marketer or enthusiast.
on September 25, 2010
I have been using social media for my businesses for a few years now but never really felt like I was getting anything done. Thanks for the push in the right direction, or more accurately, thanks for pushing me off the cliff into the abyss of possibilities with social media. I found by combining the book with the additional information on 60 Second Marketer, I could really grasp the concepts and put them in to action. I have given this book to my new hired assistant and together we have a goal of fully implementing these lessons. Wish me luck!
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have to start by saying that I found the title a bit off-putting as another "get rich quick" using Facebook kind of thing. This book is anything but that, but the title belies what the authors have to share and I hope that a couple of things DON'T happen:

1) People buy this book expecting to find easy money through the use of social media

2) People avoid this book because the title makes it sound "too good to be true"

The book is written in a very conversational style which would naturally suit the audience it is going after: savvy Internet marketers or brick and mortar marketers who want to take their services or products to a new level and a larger and broader audience. The book spends time outlining the WRONG way to go about "doing" social media and tells the reader what it isn't. The book assumes that the marketer has some Internet experience and has used different social media outlets and knows how to access them and use them. If you are a brick and mortar business with NO experience on Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn, etc (or you are not even really sure what those are) don't expect this book to fill those gaps for you. This book targets an audience already using Social Media and shows them how to use it even better through a "Social Media Campaign". The book highlights the need for understanding and using proper measurements and insight as part of a marketing campaign.

I felt that when I was reading this book that it belonged in the "Dummies" series (and I don't mean that as an insult). Cracking a joke here and there and trying to be humorous or anecdotal this book just seemed fitting for that familiar yellow cover. A cartoon here and there would take the book to a different level and a change of title perhaps to something like "How to Make Money with Social Media ... or Not" might be better fitting. This is NOT about getting rich quickly or making money with the use of Social Media. It's more a book about applying a more rigorous process to the marketing of goods and services using Internet tools (which happen to be Social Media tools). Rigor is very much a part of this book.

I liked the book but gave it four stars because I felt it lacked a bit of identity not knowing whether it wanted to be funny or technical? Solid information though.
VINE VOICEon November 8, 2010
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was very pleased to get to choose this book to review as I was fairly new to Facebook and Twitter and I was looking for ways to use them to help me promote my small on line business. Unfortunately, to my thinking, this book fell down on the job. While reading it, it felt like the entire first third of the book was a promotion to the reader as to why they should read the book and put the book into practice. Sorry folks. If I pick up a book that says `How to make money with social media', I already assume that I can or should be able to make money with social media and do not need the book to spend pages on why I want to read the book. Most people would have bought the book so they would supposedly want to read it for exactly the content that the title assured them they would get. It was kind of like getting a book on `How to change a babies diaper' and have the first third of the book telling you why you might want to change a babies diaper. Let's just say anyone who picks up a book about changing a babies diaper desperately wants to know how and wants to get to the heart of the matter ASAP!

Then there were the short little chapters. Almost as soon as you start getting an inkling that you might be learning something, the chapter abruptly ends with some key concepts and action steps. I never felt like the book ever got to the heart of the matter of how to make money with social media. This book is supposedly for all size businesses yet as the book proceeds you hear more and more about the marketing department, public relations, sales team, etc. This book was really written for a CEO of a large corporation that his team knows he needs to get up to speed and has slipped it into his stack of stuff to read.

When I finished the book, I didn't feel like I had learned much of anything at all. Certainly everything seemed to be presented as theories without concrete steps. For concrete steps for instance, I mean; how to sign up for Facebook, how to start a business fan page at Facebook, how to get friends/likes on your business page, how to spread the word about your page and how to MAKE money while doing this. I realize that each type of social media is different and different in the way it is set up, but what would have been the harm of choosing the top 10 sites and telling the reader how to make money at each of these sites.

I realize that some of the information given in the book such as measuring your return on investment in social media is valid information, but many small business people need actual step-by-step ways to go about things. We are continually being inundated with information about things that we should be doing to help our businesses grown, yet so rarely do we get the actual steps that we have to do to accomplish this. As I recall, the book never even mentioned using social media for your strictly on line business which is a whole other ballgame when it comes to advertising and promoting.
11 comment4 of 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse