5.0 out of 5 stars Made Me Think of My Etsy Store In a Whole New Way
Published on March 11, 2011 by Kari Esparza

2.0 out of 5 stars More like "Interviews with people that make money on Etsy"
First of all I don't own this book. I got it from the library and boy am I glad that I did.

Published on December 1, 2011 by D

5.0 out of 5 stars Made Me Think of My Etsy Store In a Whole New Way, March 11, 2011
This review is from: How to Make Money Using Etsy: A Guide to the Online Marketplace for Crafts and Handmade Products (Paperback)
I've been selling knitted items on Etsy for over a year now, but only recently started getting serious about it. Sales have come in, but they are slow. I wanted to do something to get more buyers. It's just that Etsy has grown to be so big now, unless you're luckly enough to be featured on the main page, your store can get buried (and mine was buried). So, I bought this book and also Etsy Success - How to Make a Full-Time Income Selling Jewelry, Crafts, and Other Handmade Products Online to get ideas on how to get the word out.

The author takes an "internet marketing" approach to the advice he gives. Basically, he has taken the things that have worked for successful internet marketers (who sell ebooks and other products) and shows you how to apply them to your Etsy store. This was a new approach I hadn't thought of.

There's a lot of mention of SEO (search engine optimization) but it wasn't too complicated to understand. He gives really good advice on setting up a blog and that was helpful. There are also interviews with successful bloggers (some of whom I had read before) which were helpful to better understand how a blog works to get new buyers and keep them interested. Reading about their success also really inspired me.

The big thing I learned was that there's a big difference between advertising your Etsy store and marketing it. Marketing takes a little more work, but can lead to the best results, so it is more efficient in the long run.

This book gave me ideas on how I can spend minimal time marketing my store without it turning into a full-time job, so I have the best of both worlds. This was especially important to me, because I still need time to knit! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Six Stars For This Book - Must Have for Beginner or Seasoned Etsy Seller Worth It's Weight in Gold, March 25, 2011
Ira Mency (Danforth, Maine) - See all my reviews
I've been selling on Etsy for awhile; and I'm a vintage seller. I'd like to think by reading the Storque and all of Etsy's updates that I would know everything there is to know. I bought this book because I knew anyone as successful as marketing guru Tim Adams, may have something worth reading. I can't tell you how glad I am that I did. I quickly realized how much it was I didn't know and probably never would have known if it wasn't for this book.

It has far exceeded my expectations.

The book is loaded with how-to diagrams and screen shots, so that you can understand every step of what Tim is talking about. It's not just about selling on Etsy, that's a big part of it but it's loaded with simple tips and tricks that you can use to market your shop and gain more exposure. It talks about trending, finding your market niche, blogging, and SEO. Basically, it's marketing techniques that are proven to work. Put it this way, I also bought a SEO/marketing book not too long ago this book puts that one to shame.

On top of that there's interviews with Etsy top sellers. Their tips and tricks and secrets. Things you always wanted to know but couldn't ask, well, it's in there.

Here's an example, the first night I was only on page 12-13 when I learned something new - a tool that I should have been using all this time (for years) that is free. I worked on that for awhile, to learn and master that--I could not believe the resources available to me for free that I hadn't been tapping into. Then, I read to page 90 taking in tons of new information. I'm still reading because it's a learn as you go book and Tim shows you how to use the tools he's talking about.

I can't say how much this has helped me as an Etsy seller. It doesn't matter if you sell vintage, supplies, or handmade on Etsy, you need this book. It is worth it's weight in gold.

4.0 out of 5 stars Didn't help me but maybe others..., May 12, 2011
If you are wanting to set up an Etsy shop, this book would be very helpful. If you already have an Etsy shop, you can get much of this information through their newsletters. I'm not very good with computers and I had my shop up and running in no time. Sales have been great following the advice in the newsletters. I really expected this book to give me more ideas to link different social sites to my Etsy shop. The section on Facebook was useless. The pictures he has you refer to are too dark to even be able to see. It was very confusing. Another thing that really annoyed me with this book was the editing. Or should I say, lack of editing. There were way too many words misused or repeated twice, etc. This is something that is very distracting to me.

What I liked most about the book were the interviews with Etsy shop owners. Those were very interesting.

So, I gave this a four star only because it would be great for someone just starting out.

2.0 out of 5 stars More like "Interviews with people that make money on Etsy", December 1, 2011

Most of the information the author offers in this book is very rudimentary. How to set up your Etsy shop. How to add listings and load pictures to them. How to create a Facebook page. A few pages on Facebook basics. A few pages on Twitter basics. It's about 40 pages of filler. This does not belong in a book titled "How to Make Money on Etsy". Ok so he provides SOME info that is worthwhile such as the info on Google Trends and Insights and also some info on how to use the Etsy forums to increase traffic to your shop. But it's only about, and I'm being generous here, 10 pages worth of info which you can easily find elsewhere on the web and in the Etsy forum itself.

My biggest gripe is that this book is 222 pages long and over 80 of those pages are full of nothing but interviews with Etsy sellers and bloggers. I know that it can be useful for some people but you can find better and more in depth interviews on the Etsy blog. Really its just more filler. To be perfectly honest, there are about 50 pages worth of useful information in this book. But the author gives you such a brief and basic understanding of these things that you are going to have to do some research on your own to fully implement these tools and concepts in your own business.

It also seems that no one bothered to edit this book. It has a ridiculous amount of typos and grammar issues. For example, the author uses his own profile page on Etsy as an example when setting up your profile. It says "I live Canton Ohio". I checked his current Etsy profile and that's what it says there too!! I can't believe it made it to print that way and I especially can't believe his profile still hasn't been corrected.

Save your money and don't buy this book. Get on the Etsy blog and forums and search there. They have a plethora of information available to all sellers for FREE.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, January 6, 2012
All of the information in this book can pretty much be found on etsy in the directions the site gives you. I bought the book and read it pretty quickly but have not been able to find even one bit of useful information that I hadn't already learned just from setting up an account. Maybe it was written before all this information became readily available, but you would do yourself a favor to just read a couple of free articles online.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just do not buy the Kindle version, November 26, 2011
It seems like a helpful book, and is very detailed about getting your items to show up on Google, but like any books with pictures or charts, the Kindle version isn't the way to go. The charts and pictures of Google pages, etc. do not show up on the Kindle, and you cannot enlarge them to make them visible to my knowledge. I'm going to ask for a refund for the Kindle version and buy the real book.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, tons of ideas!, August 2, 2012
I have read it through and have already started making changes to my etsy store (gruenetree). There are tons of ideas that never occurred to me and tools that I didn't know about. I hope to see an increase in sales soon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good info, but out of date, February 27, 2012
The book has some good general information, but when it comes to specifics, it's out of date. Etsy seems to have streamlined and simplified some of the processes since this book was written. However, that said, the basic ideas about how to proceed, and tips on things to do and research, are still good, and very helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars very satisfied, August 8, 2011
I purchased Studio magazine and on the front was,How to be found on Etsy. A friend had recently told me about the site and I had gone on it and read how to, but purchasing the book was totally the map I needed. I am on my way to opening my shop in the next month. Thanks Timothy great guide!

5.0 out of 5 stars How to on Etsy, August 21, 2011
I purchased two books concerning Etsy. This one is the best. Etsy has lots and lots and lots of info but nothing organizes for me to follow in steps. This book DID IT for me. He [the author] also has a shop ON ETSY which gives creditability to the book. It starts with About Etsy and Defines Terms we should know in the Biz. Tells about the Community, which is a large find Help in sections. On to Know your product, ie: basic FAQ, marketing and branding, online selling,product research,Google search, Google Trends, Google Insights, eBay Pulse and Etsy search. On to Shop setup with SEO defined, keyword research and much, much more.
This is VERY detailed in How To.
I also purchased ETSY SUCCESS by Mogul Mom. See review