Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on May 15, 2005
I have to admit that I was not initially a fan of Tom Hopkins. To me he comes across like a used car salesman with a high pressure type of sales tactic.

My business is network marketing, and we use a soft sell approach. I was conferring with the top rep in my group who is making some insane income in our company. I asked him what he attributed to his success and he mentioned several books and tapes, but when it comes to selling, he said Tom Hopkins is tops.

I was at my favorite bookstore on Friday and was happy to see that the new and and revised version of this book was just released. It has a purple cover and large print. Over 420 pages loaded with information. I spent four hours non stop reading this great text, the most informative sales book that I have ever read. This is indeed the bible of salemanship.

Nice intro by Mr. Hopkins mentor, the late J. Douglas Edwards. Then on to what makes a great saleman. Chapter after chapter by Hopkins covering every aspect of selling. I used some of Hopkins techniques earlier today, qualifying prospects and working on presentation skills ala Tom Hopkins. I began to use "tiedowns" and the the "ben franklin close" and have to admit I felt a little silly at first, but it worked!

I can't wait untill I truly master all of the skills Mr. Hopkins presents in this masterpiece. Then I will really be dangerous.

Right now I am only halfway though the book. Wait untill I finish it and master these skills!

Thank you Tom Hopkins and Warner Books for releasing this new and revised version.
on June 5, 2010
I've been anticipating the release of this book when I saw it was being published, and as good as Tom Hopkins is (peerless, frankly, in my eyes) in the world of sales skills training, I was a little disappointed in this book.

I have read his classic, epic, bestselling and game-shifting "How to Master the Art of Selling", and I have a hard time turning anywhere else when I have questions or want to refresh on the basics. I am aware there are other sales trainers, but for my money (and the money I'll make!) Tom Hopkins is the gold-standard.

Some of his other books bear mention here: "Low Profile Selling" is fantastic, replete with scripts and language and good tips for how to approach the sales process without coming off as a pushy, greedy salesperson. His "Guide to Greatness in Sales" is another very good, very on-the-ground counsel for people who find themselves 6 months to five years in the business and are dealing with some of the requisite growing pains.

I also can't mention highly enough his 3-CD audio collection; I have relied on disc 2 (Advanced Survival Training) more than I ever thought I would and it kept me going when I was contemplating throwing in the towel.

One of the things, I think, that separates Tom Hopkins from the others is that he is selling the profession of selling to all of us, his students, in the best possible way. Demonstrating the principles he teaches, he paints vivid emotional pictures for us to imagine ourselves as successful salespeople, pictures that give us the desire to undergo the training to go out and win. It's brilliant.

So I came to the latest book with this deep respect for his teachings, and is perhaps why I was underwhelmed by the book. He surely does update some of his best material for the book, and tailor it in ways to the financial services industry, but much of what he says about sales in the financial services industry - such as that your prospects are nervous about making a big decision with their money, can they trust you with it, your company, etc.? - doesn't differ substantially from sales in other areas too: real estate, corporate purchasing, high-net worth products - anywhere, in fact, where a large purchase is made, so doesn't seem that this advice is tailored or only relevant to the financial services industry.

I suppose I was hoping for more script language, more specifically adapted material to financial services, but much of the book dwelt on fundamentals of any sales process - finessing the first impression, becoming referrable, etc - such that after all the exposure I've had to his teachings, I didn't find anything here that made me go "Wow, that's exactly right for my field!"

That said, if you are considering this as your first Tom Hopkins book, and you work in the financial services industry, I would say without a doubt that it is an excellent introduction to his teaching, and that once you read this you'd be well-served to visit the previously mentioned works too and mine them for all of their brilliance.
on July 22, 1999
How to Master the Art of Selling is a book that must be read by anyone planning on entering the sales profession, and everyone currently in sales. No matter how good a salesperson you believe yourself to be, your sales skills can be sharpened by the information contained within the pages of this book. Tom Hopkins has been a master salesperson for many years. He has taken the time to compile all of his proven sales techniques and list them in an easy to follow format. Since I read this book, my sales have increased dramatically. Even though I have read this book from cover to cover many times, something new is gained every time I read it. You don't have to be in sales to benefit from the knowledge that is in this book. What you are selling does not necessarily have to be a product. It could be a point of view or an idea. How would you like to be able to talk someone into or out of something? You will be able to, if you follow the guidelines that are in this book. You will have a better understanding as to what people think about when they make decisions. Mr. Hopkins calls the people who have mastered the techniques in this book "champions". He says, "you know the champions when they walk through the door." If you want to be a champion,
22 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 22, 2005
This is an excellent book by a Master of Sales. Tom Hopkins has been in sales for decades, starting in real estate and then selling his selling skills to others. If you want to learn how to create a selling mind or the mood for selling in your daily life, read his books and listen to his tapes. I admit some of it does feel hokey at first, or maybe even fake, but if you internalize the strategy and make it yours it wont be fake anymore, it will be who you are.

Be sure to buy his new revision of this great book. It has been completely updated and revised to work in a new selling environment: the information age.

Remember that he did it, he has taught others to do it, they did it and now you can too.
on December 4, 2001
Rarely have I come accross a book so passionately written about the subject. Not does Tom highly succeed in explaining the art of selling, but also outlines the very important aspects of psychology (notable fear of failure). He covers beautifully the basics of time management (in line with 80/20 or Steven Covey). Champions are made, not born!
I am writing this review to share how this book helped me get a new outlook on how I see things. Let me first give you a brief history on me.

I was a music store employee who was making minimum wage, and I never (and I do mean never) made commision. This was 1998, I had long hair, no car, living at home with mom and dad, and I was a college drop-out. The owner of my company paid for me to go to Mr. Hopkins sales class in 1999. I immediately bought his book (which was a lot of money for me at that time), and started applying what I had learned. I increased my sales at the music store, but I still wasn't making enough money to support my family. I used my sales techniques to learn to sell my own abilities to another employer (a hospital). I worked there a few years, and during this time I took pre-nursing classes.

Fast forward to 2004. I got accepted into a nursing program. I had to compete for a scholarship at my hospital which I was awarded using tchniques I learned from Tom and his book. Once I graduated, I used techniques I learned from this book to land my first nursing job (which pays really well for a new graduate nurse).

In closing, I would like to state that my belief in God, and learning/applying what I learned in Tom's book helped me go from living with my parents and broke; to now being comfortably middle class, married, and living the life I always wanted to live. You have to do the work, and you have to be willing to keep your head up when everything doesn't go your way. However, if your diciplined the keys laid out in this book can help you in life; even if you don't stay in sales. After all, are we not selling our own abilities to future employers? This was a good purchase for me, and I hope it will be for you as well.
44 comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2007
I first read this book in the 1980s, and reread it in the past year. Salespeople so often disdain sales training as not helpful, but the more experience you garner, the more you realize the power of sales process and how it can influence your sales success. Every sales concept discussed in this book can be applied in every sales career, I believe. The power of effective communication in the context of creating clients can only be learned through the adoption of a system of which there are many variants but which all include the principles mapped out here. For the neophyte just starting to the grizzled veteran (and I read this book at both junctures of my career), this book is as good as any.
on May 1, 2014
I got my first copy of How To Master The Art Of Selling in 1981. At the time, I was doing well, selling vacuum cleaners in people’s homes. I remember buying the book in a bookstore (remember those?) and reading it over a long weekend.

The book changed everything about how I sold. Sure, I knew some closes, I had a way to prospect, and I knew how to demonstrate my product. But this is the first time I was seeing all this written down in a comprehensive book. A serious study of the techniques of selling. The book drew me in…I was engaged.

There have been several editions of this book. I was reading the first edition, in hardback. But the newest edition is the 2005 version. There are updates, and so I’m going to review the 2005 version.

Hopkins gives a short introduction about the profession of selling; Why it’s a great and honorable profession, and the advantages of seeking out a career in sales.

A large chunk of the book is invested, wisely I think, in asking questions. Some of this is Qualifying. And I have to admit, this is where the book helped me the most. What questions do you ask to make sure that you are talking to the right person. What questions do you ask to make sure that they have the money…and the ability to buy…before you even start your presentation. The technique of “Bracketing up for money” I took directly from the first edition of the book, used it word for word, and I saw a huge jump in my closing percentage.

He spends time on “Tie Downs”, which are ends of sentences, that turn the sentence into a question, and gather agreement from the prospect. I’ve used these in my selling, and find that they help hold the prospect’s attention. But if you use them more than a few times, they become obvious and irritating. Just use them in moderation.

There is a section on how to see rejection. This is a series of views on how to see rejection. The work comes from the book Anatomy Of A Salesman by Art Mortell…which is a great book by itself. And I wonder why it isn’t a best seller. It takes the fear out of prospecting. It also helps overcome the fear of rejection. The techniques in this section work. I’ve used them in my own life, and they helped me get over my fear of rejection.

The section on non-referral prospecting is revealing. There are several places to find perfectly good prospect, before you ever ask for referrals. These sources are covered nicely in the book.

The real strength of this book are the sections of types of questions, that lead to a close, and the closing questions themselves. Although I don’t use these in their presented form, you can learn a lot by reading the questions, and knowing why you should ask them. I won’t spoil it here, but the closes presented are strong stuff. This is old school closing, from a master of the craft.

The section on referrals is weak, but I imagine it’s because the author wants to appeal to salespeople in every field, and so he leaves out techniques that are only going to apply to a few businesses.

Do I use these techniques today? Not so much. My selling is pretty advanced, and my prospecting method makes the selling pretty easy. But for salespeople who haven’t taken serious sales training? This book is a goldmine. And everything taught in the book works.

I remember the end of that weekend in 1981. That week, I put what I learned to use, and saw my sales increase dramatically. Buy then I was already doing much of what was in the book. But the book taught me why I was doing it, and it helped me polish my methodology. And a few techniques, I learned for the first time, right from the book, and used them as is for a few decades.

A must for any sales person’s library. This is a book you study.
on February 8, 2015
I'm a Realtor and had heard about this book while reading a book on guerrilla marketing. I was hooked from the start.

The techniques are practical and if put to use and practiced I don't see why anyone can't succeed in any sales arena. I've committed mastering one technique at a time as I'm new to real estate but not to sales at all. Tom also recommends reading this book once a year. I will definitely do that to pick up on things I may have missed.

Anyone serious about mastering and being successful in sales? I highly recommend.
on September 26, 2005
Without a doubt, Tommy Hopkins is the #1 top sales trainer and creator of sales champions in the world today, bar none! Pretty bold statement, but Tom Hopkins has a pretty bold reputation.

Tom Hopkins is taking the training he recieved from his mentor, the late, great J. Douglas Edwards who was without a doubt the father of modern selling and sharing it with all of us. Tom Hopkins has taken the best of J. Douglas Edwards, refined it, finessed it and modernized it.

Hopkins was a superstar salesman in his own right, he set records in sales 30 years ago that still stand today. He is also a fabulous trainer. As already mentioned, the best in the business. He has personally trained over 3 million clients on 5 continents.

Some think that Hopkins teaches hard sell techniques. Far from it. Hopkins tells us that it is better to be an interested introvert than an interesting extrovert. Most people think selling is the exact opposite. The old back slapping, fast talking con man. Or the guy who thinks he has to bombard his client with a ton of information.

Tom Hopkins teaches to ask questions and get the client to sell themselves. As Tom Hopkins says; "If you say it, they doubt you. But if they say it, it's true." This again was a technique popularized by J. Douglas Edwards.

How To Master The Art Of Selling will teach you everything you need to know about becoming the very best salesman you can be. I usually go over this program every year, at least once and review throughtout the year.

If you want to succeed in selling, this book is must reading. I also recommend any tape program by Tom Hopkins that you can get your hands on.

Occasionally I run into people who say these techniques don't work anymore or won't work for their particular business. These techniques have been used by real estate sales people, insurance salespeople, car sales people, network marketing people, all direct sales people, ministers,U.S. Army recruiters, college recruiters and more. The techniques work for anyone who is trying to master persuasion techniques.

If you want to Master The Art of Selling and Persuasion, I highly recommend this book. It's the best.