5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it.
If you are considering purchasing season 7, I highly recommend it. Very funny, with lots of twists and turns, as usual. Just started watching the show this year, and cannot wait for season 8!
Published on July 30, 2012 by ckernan

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny Moments, But Too Much Going On
Published on July 3, 2012 by Ryan Matthews

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny Moments, But Too Much Going On, July 3, 2012
This review is from: How I Met Your Mother: Season 7 (DVD)
How I Met Your Mother is my favorite show on television right now, period. So it pains me to be a harsh critic, but this season is deserving of three stars. Whether I look at it as its own entity or in comparison to previous seasons, Season 7 just did not live up to standards. There were some high moments, and there were some episodes that momentarily renewed my faith that the writers were onto something, but ultimately I found myself disappointed in the end result.

The irony is that in most cases the writers will start running out of ideas in latter seasons. In this case, I think the writers have too many fresh ideas and filmed an abundance of stories in Season 7 that either weren't necessary or felt completely rushed. My biggest problem with How I Met Your Mother's seventh season is that the show tried to fit about three seasons of stories into a 24 episode arc.

**Will Contain Spoilers**

The first thing I look at in a season of expedited stories is the relationship aspect of the show. Robin, for example, started dating Kevin in the fifth episode of the season, 'Field Trip.' By the sixteenth episode, 'The Drunk Train', Kevin proposed to Robin. If I am to follow a timeline that runs parallel to the air dates of the episodes, Robin and Kevin dated for just over four months. Is it impossible? No, not really. Improbable, not impossible.
Barney's story with Quinn, though, just might be too far beyond believable. Noteworthy is the fact that we're talking about the quintessential womanizer for a good portion of the show. I liked the direction Barney's character was headed in. I thought his reconciliation with his father in Season 6 was a good turning point for him and a plausible explanation for his sudden change of lifestyle. However, this Quinn story is simply an overload of absolute silliness and absurdity. Barney met Quinn in 'The Drunk Train', episode 16. She didn't agree to go out with him until the eighteenth episode, 'Karma.' By the season finale, they'd been dating an astoundingly brief 2 ˝ months, yet Barney proposes to her and she accepts without so much as a hesitation. I can't fathom in what walk of life this is realistic, especially given the fact that Barney is just a few months removed from leaving Nora because of his feelings for Robin. Over a season or two, this works. Over half a season this may even be justifiable, but the pace at which this story develops is plainly inconceivable.

The second thing I look at in this season of accelerated story lines is the fact that over the course of an 8 month period, Lily and Marshall called three different places home. Moving is certainly an arduous task for any couple to take on, but we're dealing with two moves in a matter of months by a couple expecting their first child. 'The Slutty Pumpkin Returns' first introduced the house in the suburbs, but it wasn't until Thanksgiving, 'The Rebound Girl' episode, that Marshall and Lily agree to move into her grandparents' old home. While my feelings on the move were lukewarm to begin with, the brevity of their stint on Long Island combined with the lack of funny stories associated with the house pushed me over the edge. I thought it was a fantastic idea for Ted to give Lily and Marshall their old apartment back, but the mess leading up to that moment cast a dark cloud over what should have been a joyous full-circle moment.
*And on the subject, why is Ted subletting someone's apartment when he just as easily could've moved into the house he purchased two years earlier? My only explanation is his desire to stay in the city, but it shocks me what little mention of his house has been made since 'Home Wreckers' aired in Season 5.

All that being said, a formidable season finale could have negated a lot of the wrong turns the show made in Season 7. While I was generally content with most of what went on, I needed time to digest the last 15 minutes or so of the season. The Barney/Quinn/Robin side of the story was utterly predictable and I was ultimately both pleased and slightly relieved with the wedding couple. It should be interesting to see how the writers get from where they are now to where they need to be.
The Ted and Victoria side of the story, however, I'm still feeling some animosity towards. Let me state for the record that Victoria is my favorite recurring character on the show. I thought she was dynamite in Season 1, and her appearance in 'Ducky Tie' not only helped tie up some loose ends but it served as a reminder that some old flames just never burn out. If you had told me at the beginning of the season that Ted and Victoria would wind up back together, I would have been ecstatic. But the way it was done felt over-the-top, rushed, and above all, unrealistic. It didn't have to be Victoria's wedding day, first of all. That served no purpose but to make Ted look like a villain for doing to another what nearly killed him. Second of all, Victoria's dialogue in the bar was very strange and outlandish considering the circumstances. She'd spent one evening with Ted in six years. She had zero contact with him otherwise, and it just felt way too easy for this woman to bail on everything her life had in store to "ride off into the sunset" with another man. There needed to be rising action here. The story needed a few episodes to develop, and if Victoria felt this strongly about Ted, she should've been the one to initiate contact with him. It all felt very wrong, and again (to beat a dead horse), implausible. I thought the one saving grace from their resurrected romance was Ted's flashbacks right before he decided to drive past the church. Obviously this is a girl he'd watched walk out on him twice through no fault of his own, and I can understand why Ted could not bear the thought of watching her go again. After all, as Robin put it, this was the one that got away. But as badly as I want to buy into this story, it's just too much of a reach. I hope they clean it up in Season 8.

With all that being said, I thought the show did some good things in Season 7:
- 'Ducky Tie' (7.03) was a great episode, in my opinion. Victoria helped drive the story, but I was more drawn in by the group's interaction at the Japanese restaurant. Very clever, vintage HIMYM
- 'The Slutty Pumpkin Returns' (7.08) was supposed to be an episode seven seasons in the making. I thought Katie Holmes played the character very awkwardly and her story with Ted was weak [not to mention there wasn't much slutty about the pumpkin]. However, everything else about the episode was hilarious, from Barney's revelation to Lily's pregnancy brain, this episode had me laughing the whole way through
- 'Disaster Averted' (7.09) was one of the best episodes of the series, if you ask me. Great usage of Hurricane Irene to build Lily and Marshall's pregnancy story, Marshall's health insurance story was gold and any episode utilizing the slap bet is a winner in my book
- 'Symphony Of Illumination' (7.12) was a dramatic, heartfelt Christmas episode and really displayed a lot of depth for a sitcom. I was very impressed with Cobie Smulders' performance.
- The usage of Lily's doppelganger and the two alternate title sequences were very funny in '46 Minutes' (7.14)
- 'No Pressure' (7.17) was an all around great episode. The last couple minutes of the episode used the song "Shake It Out" by Florence + The Machine, and it worked perfectly with the mood the show was trying to convey.
- 'Trilogy Time' (7.20) jumped around in the lives of Ted, Marshall and Barney. I loved the pop cultural references from the various times. Ultimately, this was an episode that could have fit right in to the show at its highest point.
- 'Now We're Even' (7.21) in a way was similar to the show if you look at it collectively. You knew how it was going to end, but you weren't sure how it would get there. That's why I enjoyed it.

Setting aside my problems with the big picture, there were times in Season 7 when the show had a very fundamental problem: it just wasn't all that funny.
- 'Tick Tick Tick...' (7.10) was painfully unfunny, even if Neil Patrick Harris' remarkable acting somewhat saved the episode.
- Though I moderately enjoyed the short-lived "Puzzles", Marshall's visit to his father's grave in 'Tailgate' (7.13) was just plain bizarre and anti-climactic.
- While the room-by-room storytelling of 'The Burning Beekeeper' (7.15) was original, the stories themselves were underwhelming. I like Mickey Aldrin's biggest character quirk, which is to invent the next great American board game. I don't like much else about him, and with much of this episode's success riding on his beekeeping story, it crashed and burned.
- 'Field Trip' (7.05), 'The Rebound Girl' (7.11) and 'Karma' (7.18) just felt like lazy episodes, not in terms of the writing or the acting, but just in the overall execution. To me they were the kind of episodes that you wouldn't turn off if they were on TV, but after awhile they'd just be background noise while you did something else. They just didn't draw me in, & as a huge fan of the show I hate admitting to that.

** ** **

I think the show has become victimized by its own success. The premise, the way we knew the ending before the story even began, backed the writers into a corner. Once the show started drawing praise and the network kept renewing it, the writers had to find ways to stall. It worked beautifully for awhile, but now the lack of preparation is beginning to show. It's really no one's fault, either, but this is the kind of story that probably needed to wrap up in five or six seasons before it became absurd. I'm hoping Season 7 as a whole is just an isolated miss. I will continue watching the show, but How I Met Your Mother's best days are almost certainly a thing of the past now.

Grade: C+

2.0 out of 5 stars Season of spinning wheels, lowest point yet., May 23, 2012
This review is from: How I Met Your Mother: Season 7 (DVD)
I'm a huge fan of HIMYM. The first four seasons are excellent. Season 5 disappointed me with its poor handling of the Robin/Barney relationship, and then a bunch of fillerish episodes. Season 6 redeemed itself right away, setting up a new mystery with the wedding where Ted will meet the mother. The season contained small hints at whose wedding it might be, but there were also a lot of strong arcs involving Marshall and his father, and Barney and his father. There was also Ted, who spent the majority of that season in a relationship with the antagonistic Zoey. The finale revealed to us that one of the people getting married at that wedding "a little ways down the road" was none other than Barney!

Season 7 starts off strong with "The Best Man," but quickly falters from there. Much of the first third of the season are lackluster episodes, as we follow Barney pursuing a relationship with Nora, Robin pining after Barney and then presumably giving up in favor of her therapist-turned-boyfriend, Kevin. Ted ties up some loose ends with Victoria, and Marshall and Lily try to figure out where they want to raise their child. The action picks up a bit in 7.9, "Disaster Averted," which is another standout episode in the season, which takes the tension between Barney and Robin up a notch by having them hook up again. That plotline continues in 7.10, where despite having a discussion which may lead to their getting back together, Robin mercilessly rejects Barney in favor of Kevin. 7.11 is nothing special with a very misleading cliffhanger, and 7.12 is a tearjerker of an episode with a very cruel twist.

And from there the season completely sputters. Despite all the build-up between Barney and Robin, long stretches of episodes go by without them addressing anything that's happened. Instead we get a lot of lackluster filler episodes, like "Tailgate," "The Burning Beekeeper," and "46 Minutes." Barney gets a new love interest just as Robin and Kevin split, and Ted takes the breakup as an opportunity to once AGAIN tell Robin he loves and and wants to be with her. Mercifully she doesn't reciprocate his feelings, and ends up moving out of the apartment, but that doesn't stop Ted from moping about her for practically the rest of the season. (Hadn't these two already made peace with their past relationship? Like...many times before??) The season ends with the bride reveal, which while not surprising in the least is a step in the right direction, and Ted taking off with Victoria, who has skipped out on her wedding.

There were so many issues with this season. Lack of a real plot for Ted, who spends the majority of the season either playing odd third wheel to Lily and Marshall's pregnancy, or pining after Robin again. He does have a few moments, such as with Victoria and the Slutty Pumpkin, where we remember what the show is actually about, but those are few and far between. Marshall and Lily spend so much time deciding to move out to Long Island ... and then move back a couple episodes later. Talk about going in circles. And Robin's character takes a nosedive into the absurd when she's stripped of just about every quality we ever liked about her. She breaks Barney's heart, accepts a marriage proposal from a man she's only dated a few months, is mopey and whiny and insecure. Not to mention, I'm not sure what was up with the wardrobe this season, but she looked awful. (Which is ridiuclous, since the actress is quite pretty!) Barney breaks a record by having two serious outside love interests in one season.

Overall, this season was extremely disappointing. Here's hoping S8 can pick up the pieces and get back to telling the stories we love about the characters we love. I'll probably be buying this for completions sake, but aside from a couple of standouts, this one is definitely a season to catch on Netflix or in reruns.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it., July 30, 2012

3.0 out of 5 stars Huge Step Down, February 17, 2013
This review is from: How I Met Your Mother: Season 7 (DVD)
Wow how have the mighty fallen, this season is a massive step down from previous seasons. Season 6 was not upto par with the previous seasons but still reasonable however season 7 is a new low and at this rate they are gonna get cancelled.

This season truely makes Ted look like a complete loser as he is desperately chasing girls he's already been with and the show's producers run through the ted and robin & barney and robin thing yet again, a sure sign the original ideas are definately drying up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Show, August 11, 2012
This is one of my favorite shows of all time. This season is no exception and continues how I met your mother's excellent integration of events past and future to add fantastic layers of complexity to a simple, fun, and easy to enjoy show.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 8, 2014
Loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 4, 2014
Great

4.0 out of 5 stars Get ready to laugh!, July 1, 2014
This review is from: How I Met Your Mother: Season 7 (DVD)
Not as funny as some of my other comedy series collections, but pretty darn close. Clever writing and good ensemble of actors. Many laughs...

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazballs, June 2, 2014
Personally it was amazing. I watched all 8 seasons in like a months span. I do plan on watching some episodes over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great show, June 1, 2014
This review is from: How I Met Your Mother: Season 7 (DVD)
One of my favorite shows on tv. After rewatch this season I remembered how awesome it was. Had some really funny episodes.

How I Met Your Mother: Season 7
How I Met Your Mother: Season 7 by Josh Radnor (DVD - 2012)
$19.98 $13.49