5.0 out of 5 stars How I Met Your Mother
Published on January 5, 2012 by Jason C. Wilkerson

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad quality product
Items were recieved in a timely manner though exterior quality appears to be from DVD's that were burned and labels were made for each disc. As read in previous reviews, the season 1 inside cover had a clip from the movie "Forgetting Sarah Marshall".
Several discs were scratched and DISC 2 from 5th season won't play in my PS3s or DVD player or laptop.
I...
Published on March 26, 2012 by Maia

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars How I Met Your Mother, January 5, 2012
This review is from: How I Met Your Mother: Seasons 1-5 (DVD)
Hollywood likes to repeat itself. Well, I should say that if an idea is successful they try to repeat the success. In movies they create sequels, prequels, and remakes. In TV they make spinoffs or remakes. Sometimes they work like Frasier, other times they don't work at all like the American made version of Britain's Coupling (which was itself a British working of Friends). After Seinfeld studio after studio bought ideas of endearingly funny people who were basically loathsome people, and after Friends studios bought ideas of groups of best friends who met in public places to talk about their messed up sex lives.

Boiled down to its basic premise, How I Met Your Mother could be considered to fall into the latter category. Because I was never a fan of Friends (still not, although I have enjoyed a couple of episodes here and there, I wouldn't turn on the show of my own accord) and many critics and commentators compared How I Met Your Mother to Friends I decided not to check it out at first. There have been many Friends clones, and I felt that another one of them didn't warrant my attention. It wasn't until just before the fourth season aired that I realized I was wrong to wait so long to check it out.

I would be lying if I said that the recent appeal of Neil Patrick Harris and Jason Segel's recent box office success in Forgetting Sarah Marshall had nothing to do with my choice to check out the show. It was really my fiancée who got me to check it out. While I was at work a few times Renee chose to check out some episodes in syndication on Lifetime and really enjoyed them and got me to check it out. The first episode I viewed was the season 3 episode "How I Met Everyone Else". In the episode Ted (Josh Radnor) brings a new girl he's dating to meet the group, and everyone in his group of friends recounts how they met each other.

This particular episode illustrated one of the brilliant elements of How I Met Your Mother's storytelling. While the initial conceit has Ted in the future (future Ted is voiced by Bob Saget) telling his kids the story of how he met their mother. At times this allows for a modicum of suspension of belief because of the fact that future Ted is perfectly capable (and at times his kids call him out on it) of embellishing the story. Beyond that we see stories within stories. "How I Met Everyone Else" exploits this idea to great effect. For three seasons we've seen these characters together only really knowing how Robin came to join the circle of friends, but here we get the full story and told in a way that remains engaging.

All of the characters are fully rounded with quirks that endear them to the audience rather than overbearing. The cast and crew have proven that How I Met Your Mother is first and foremost a character driven show, and even in the show's sixth season they pull major surprises. Throughout "Bad News" we watch a hidden countdown ticking down to the biggest tragedy in the history of the show. Over the next several episodes we watch as the gang works together to help each other through the situation. There are also running gags throughout the series, but these work to further flesh out the characters and their relationships and are not overused. In the season 2 episode "Slap Bet" Barney and Marshall enter into a bet that leads to Marshall being able to slap Barney 5 times at any time he wishes. Going into the seventh season only four of the slaps have been dealt, and they're typically dealt without the prior knowledge of the audience. There's also a really brilliant recurring gag about Robin (Cobie Smulders) being a former Canadian pop star that hits all the right notes (pun intended) as well.

Because it is one of the best American sitcoms in recent years, How I Met Your Mother ranks on my list of top 10 favorite TV shows. It would rank higher, but I have to admit that the show suffers from a somewhat dull main character. While Ted is not the worst in this category, I have to admit that I would rather watch any of the other characters on the show more. Also the fifth season didn't live up to the promise of the previous four. However I do also have to give this show extra credit for making even Britney Spears tolerable!

5/5

Be sure to check out: Armadillo & Sands: Intellectual Properties at Work!

5.0 out of 5 stars Family Time, January 8, 2011
This review is from: How I Met Your Mother: Seasons 1-5 (DVD)
Gave this gift to our 20 year old son for Christmas. Couldn't believe it when he asked us if we wanted to watch it with him... the gift that kept on giving! Now I know what to give him for his birthday; Barney's book, The Bro Code.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad quality product, March 26, 2012
This review is from: How I Met Your Mother: Seasons 1-5 (DVD)
I purchased these items because I thought they were original. Now that I know, not only that they are burned DVD's, but also that they have poor quality, I wouldn't have bought them. I would like to know if there is a possible way to return the DVD that's not working.

2.0 out of 5 stars New Bootleg Copy, March 11, 2012
This review is from: How I Met Your Mother: Seasons 1-5 (DVD)
Items were recieved in a timely manner, but the exterior quality made it appear that the DVD's were burned and labels were made for each disc. The season 1 inside cover had a clip are from the movie "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" which doesn't have anything to do with "How I met your mother", other than Jason Segal. Couple of the disc were scratched as well. Some would not play in my DVD player, but all worked in my PS3. I wish I would of known these were redone copies of the show instead of actual manufactured set!

5.0 out of 5 stars Top 5 Best Comedy TV Series Ever, February 24, 2012
This review is from: How I Met Your Mother: Seasons 1-5 (DVD)
I`ve never seen a tv serie like this in the past 5 years and i love comedy. The last one that really caught my attention was The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air. Though I never watched Friends, it seems that HIMYM and Friends are alike (they both have Pamela Fryman as director), but HIMYM is new, 21st century material and you can always see yourself in some situations, characters. Recommend it for sure... true story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best seasons!!!, April 18, 2014
This review is from: How I Met Your Mother: Seasons 1-5 (DVD)
The first 5 seasons are the best ones of the series!! Even though the finale brought mixed feelings, during the first seasons, when knowing the mother wasn't such an important thing, the characters were at their best!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great show!, October 22, 2013
This review is from: How I Met Your Mother: Seasons 1-5 (DVD)
This show is amazing! I don't what for it to end! The characters are hilarious, I couldn't stop laughing! Great.

5.0 out of 5 stars How I Met Your Mother Seasons 1-5, June 7, 2013
This review is from: How I Met Your Mother: Seasons 1-5 (DVD)
Suspense! When will be meet your mother??
Delightful, fun, Like meeting new friends.
The various personalities often melt into each
other and sometimes clash.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE, January 30, 2013
This review is from: How I Met Your Mother: Seasons 1-5 (DVD)
GREAT PRICE! GREAT SHOW! I WOULD DEFNIATELY GET MORE AS THE SEASON COMES TO A CLOSE! LOVE THE SHOW FOREVER!

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommend, December 29, 2012
This review is from: How I Met Your Mother: Seasons 1-5 (DVD)
Excellent product thus far. Everything is working great, family loves it. Highly Recommend as lots of extras to use with the Camera.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›