Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: How Not to Act Old: 185 Ways to Pass for Phat, Sick, Dope, Awesome, or at Least Not Totally Lame
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on August 7, 2009
You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll tell all your friends to run out and buy it. How Not to Act Old is an instruction manual and life coach in book form for baby boomers trying desperately to stay cool, and their Evil Young progeny who make fun of them. Even those of us who like to believe (okay, delude ourselves) that we know what's going on will recognize ourselves in Satran's witty, shrewd, razor-sharp observations. And to be clear: Satran's not really suggesting that we give up dancing to Springsteen or drinking vodka, only that we understand that a whole new generation is watching and snickering. We used to be them, and now we're not. This is the funniest book I've read all year.
on August 12, 2009
Oh, Pamela Redmond Satran, did you secretly interview BOTH my 20-something daughters before writing this book? I won't let them see your hilarious and painfully true book because you confirm everything they've ever said to me. I don't think I could handle hearing "What did we TELL you?" that many times. I will, however, consider figuring out how to use my cellphone, re-think my notion of "dress shoes" and maybe even give up the Cosmopolitan in favor of the Kamikaze. I may even try to sleep past 6:30 AM on weekends. (At least I'll be savvy enough to avoid sending any incriminating time-stamped e-mails if I fail.)
on September 29, 2009
Granted that many people seem to find this a spoof, a send-up, and so on, I think a social scientist would have a field day analyzing the attitudes that inform this exercise.

In the first place, everything is couched in terms of pop culture, which assumes that those are the only earmarks by which to measure how with-it someone is.

In the second place, I'm not sure who the beneficiary of this advice is. One's (old?) peers would dress and act the same out-of-it way, and the young will not be fooled into thinking you are also young, no matter where your jeans fit on your waist...or not.

In the third place, it's always been the privilege of youth to have its own code words, its own dress style, its own music, and so on---an exclusive club. Gate crashers are not welcome, and are quickly identified as bogus.

In the fourth place, age has its own status if one has real achievements, and a self-confidence that can't be bought any other way. That in itself is sexy.

Finally, the author betrayed her own lack of hipness when she listed a turtleneck as something no one should ever wear, lest it betray old-fogey-ness. Tell it to Steve Jobs, who is about the coolest guy on the planet and who invented iPods and all the rest of the hip new gadgets.
77 comments| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 3, 2009
If you are in the workplace NOW, you need this book. If you believe in fantasy, that is you're retired and will NEVER have to work again, you really need this book. Financiual realities have taken away that blissful picture of roaming the country in a motorhome with a bullet proof nest egg tucked securely away. There is no more "securely". Your choice now is either working at McDonalds or as a greeter at Walmart. Maybe not if you are smart enough to heed at least some of the advice in this handy book. Recognizing yourself in the simple one-page anecdotes may be just enough of a push to change up your stlye. Even Darwin pointed out, without change there is no future. If we have to keep working through our golden years, we want the best job that pays the most money in the easiest environment. That requires good appearance and a current mindset. We did it once, the second time will be so much easier. So don't throw in the towel. Instead use the towel to dust off your monitor, upload some conversation points and wave it overhead in a victory cheer!
on January 25, 2015
Pamela has a wicked and ironic sense of humor. I get to act old because I AM old! I was in college when she was born. Glad to know that I'm old but not brain dead. New challenge Pamela! Next write a book and call it "HOW NOT TO ACT LIKE A BABY! Life isn't all about YOU!" Your wedding DJ messes up? Someone "steals" the darling name you chose for your baby? It's about the stuff to get over. Now go write that book, Pamela. Please! Happy to know I've already quit doing a lot of the things she tells us not to do. Some stuff I will NEVER embrace. Tattoos? No. I do have a hidden wish I could starch and iron my birthday suit, but that would be painful. Does anyone out there even know what starch is? I do remember the 5 1/4" floppy dics, and no hard drive, no mouse, all the graphics are green...Or in the next step amber... Sometimes it's OK to act old in the interest of comfort, and ability. (My walker won't fit on a treadmill.) Thanks Pam. Do it again!
on August 6, 2009
This very funny little book is social satire masquerading as self-help. (It's also a send-up of self-help books, avoiding which is--delicious irony--another way How Not To Act Old.) Who is being satirized? The young! And quite perceptively. Also those who would mimic them (whose number would not include anyone hip enough to buy "How Not To Act Old"). Slim as this volume is, it's loaded with amusing specifics. The author proves herself a shrewd observer of human nature and a writer with many arrows in her quiver.
on August 6, 2009
OK - this book is seriously LAUGH-OUT-LOUD, read-around-the-dinner-table funny, not to mention awesome (yes, you're still allowed to say 'awesome,' although 'sick' is also high praise). If you've ever caught yourself or a loved one making lame jokes about how to text, blog, or tweet, or ever felt befudddled by even the most mundane pop culture expressions or trends, this is the book for you.

Think you're too young for HOW TO NOT ACT OLD? If you're over 30, own any kind of underwear besides a thong, and aren't sure when the last time you hooked up was...well, maybe you can't stay young forever, but that doesn't mean you have to act old!
on March 3, 2014
I bought this book because I finally realized I need to start dressing my age....even though I only look around late 40's or early 50's. Have no idea what's appropriate to wear or say anymore. The book is enlightening and funny....but the language is crude...as if written by a "sailor". I was surprise...the swearing actually takes away from the message of the book. Wish I hadn't bought it.
on November 1, 2009
I loved this little book. It was super funny and, as a result of my reading it, I learned how to text on my cell. I'm not getting a tat though.
on October 5, 2009
very clever take on aging,straight in your face advice, lots of t is true,
though not everything.
made me think twice before buying grannies and sending long emails!
must read for everyone who wants to fit in in modern society
and keep connection with his own kids.