5.0 out of 5 stars Who Would Be a Short, Fat Man With a Bean-Shaped Face?
...or to those who are not familiar with the callbacks, Richard Herring?

Published on March 11, 2012 by TCNZ

3.0 out of 5 stars Kind of boring
The champagne bottle bit was interesting, I suppose. I bought this really because I feel so bad about enjoying all his free content.

I also bought a few of the audiobook renditions, read by the author himself. (I wish he'd hurry up and record the whole book)

Richard is a talented comedian, and this is mediocre book.
Published on January 13, 2012 by 420

3.0 out of 5 stars Kind of boring, January 13, 2012

Richard is a talented comedian, and this is mediocre book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who Would Be a Short, Fat Man With a Bean-Shaped Face?, March 11, 2012
This review is from: How Not to Grow Up: A Coming of Age Memoir. Sort of. (Kindle Edition)
...or to those who are not familiar with the callbacks, Richard Herring?

It's a hard life when you were on the Telly once and now find that homeless people, Dr Who fans and geeks in general are the only ones that know your face. Worse, your love life has never really taken off and your friends think you are only worthy of kids toys from the joke shop. Even worse, look at the calendar, realise you are turning 40 in a few months and kaBOOM! Crisis.

Join Rich (who is actually not a bad guy on the whole) as he eloquently describes his experience of trying to grow from a teenager in a (nearly) forty year-old body, to a thirty-something with something really amazing to hope for.

I'd give this to any man who is hitting that 'Oh no, I'm turning 40' crisis (or the long-suffering woman in his life). Because if Richard Keith Herring can 'grow up', there's hope for us all. His writing is great. I felt genuinely drawn in to Rich's mistakes (cringe), miseries (don't jump from that bridge!) and achievements (yay!). He's brutally honest with himself too. The contents of this book are not based on real-life events, it *is* what happened with a few names changed.

Those who follow his online diary ('Warming Up'- You can read Rich's diary online or hear him read it to you) will know what the exciting sequel to this book will be. But I will not spoil it for anyone. Rich's life is his art and we are invited to laugh and cry with him as that life unfolds. In turn, our lives are enriched (just a little pun there... is this thing on?!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Nakedly honest, funny, inspiring, November 9, 2011
I found this book funny, moving and inspiring. At times, RH's raw honesty was uncomfortable reading, but I couldn't help but identify, and want to continue the journey with him. Recommended reading for people on either side of the forty-something divide. For those who don't know him, Mr Herring is a professional stand-up comedian with a prolific output in podcasts (try AIOTM) and blogging, and a long history in UK TV and radio.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, July 1, 2011
Loved it, I just wish it had ended with:

Then the phone rang, I looked at the caller ID and saw the name Simon, I answered then he yelled "this is your fault" then I heard a bang and brains hit a wall. :)