Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on May 29, 2011
i didnt expect too much from this book but even so it disappointed me. the plus is that there were a few useful tips on how to handle certain type of people, not to mention realizing which category i myself was in (we all have our negative sides...) and how i might be percieved. my criticism is that the book is quite superficial and it fails to mention anywhere in the cover that it is actually meant for managers and supervisors, as the advice seems to always be how u handle the issue with an employee or in a meeting. examples are very rarely from normal life or relationship for example. perhaps i should have guessed that this book is for business life and especially for those managing employees, but i didnt. and a few sections fail even the management point of view -advice. for example the plodders (slow people) were assumed to professionals who are just used to meticulously write down everything and mark down details... the advice given was directed on handling this type of professional people. i think its obvious that there are also slow people/employees who are slow for other reasons. so, in other words, i think the book doesnt give an honest description of it self in the front nor back over, and the content is superficial and not very well done, some parts seem to be just quickly thrown together to have something there, to get to number 50.
on September 25, 2012
Almost every situation in this book relates to how to handle people in the work place. And more pointedly for managers handling employees. Most of the advice given would not work in your private life. For example I know someone who is so eager to please that he will agree to do any favor someone askes of him, even if he can't deliver. The tip for this is to "ask them to let you have confirmation in writing of exactly how they'll be doing what you've asked." This may work with an difficult employee but I wouldn't be comfortable asking a friend, who has just agreed to do me a favor, to put it in writing. There were some good solutions but many of them I found to be superficial, manipulating and even condescending.

Unless you manage employees you will not find much practical advice here. I read this on the Kindle Fire and it was formatted well and well written.
on July 15, 2012
An insightful guide on how to recognize and deal with different types of difficult people. It's easy to understand, funny in some parts and straight-to-the-point. The strategies can be applied to personal relationships, the workplace or just for interacting with people in every day situations. I wish I'd had this book years ago!
on September 14, 2009
Everybody is different and everybody proves to be a different pain in the neck. Now in a newly updated second edition, "How People Tick: A Guide to Over 50 Types of Difficult People and How to Handle Them" is a guide to dealing with annoying, difficult people who overall just make one's life ever more unpleasant. Using various archetypes, author Mike Leibling gives readers solid advice in how to get out of certain situations with the least damage done. "How People Tick" is a strongly recommended read for any who want to deal with people better.
on February 24, 2014
This is an extremely fascinating book. First off, Mike Leibling has far more Difficult People that I ever thought about. As the title says, there are over 50 types. Once I read what he had to say about each category, I could see his point. From the perspective he presented, the category belonged in this book.

The hard part is reading about a category I either belong to or at least share some of the traits of. After all, I’m not a difficult person, right? But as Leibling pointed out from someone else’s viewpoint my good traits can make me difficult to work with. I was fascinated at how he could see the good and less good trait of so many different behaviors.

The interesting point that comes out in these different categories is that people in a category, like Ponderous People, are mainly difficult people to those who fit the opposite end of the spectrum, people who are exceptionally fast. Leibling makes it clear that people think at different speeds.

He also has a really helpful organizational structure to his chapters, each of which covers one behavior. He starts the discussion with “What ticks us off,” “How it can happen,” “Tips for handling workaholics,” and a story or stories that make the points discussed more meaningful.

I loved his stories because of how they made it easier to relate to his points. His tips too gave really practical advice.to help you guide your difficult people to better fit what you need for them to become functioning members of your team.

This is such a thorough study that it will always be one of my favorite reference books for how to work with difficult people, especially when you want to be able to work with them.
on September 25, 2012
Interesting guide to many different personality types and how to handle them in the workplace. Not very practical for everyday use. This book seems to be written as a workplace management tool. Although, many people are combinations of more than one of these personality types, it will help you understand what truly does make them "tick".
Who doesn't have some flaw? Each of us is difficult in our own way. While reading this very helpful book I was reminded of my own faults and the faults of others I interact with on a daily basis. Whether you are dealing with people in your real life or online you will find this book to be brimming with helpful advice.

After reading this book you will know how to respond to angry people so that they feel heard and calm down. You will know what to say to a bully. You will also understand all the intricacies of dealing with people at work.

This book will be especially helpful to employers who are trying to motivate their employees. In a book full of good ideas I was impressed that the author also had great ideas on how to deal with kids who don't like to clean their rooms. This piece of advice was probably the most helpful advice you could give a parent who is driven crazy by their kid's messy rooms.

While looking on the negative side of most situations, the author occasionally had something very positive to say about negative people. Sometimes they really do have something to offer and we should consider their point of view. They may warn us against certain disaster when we might be overly positive about a situation.

This book took many days to read but was well worth the journey. Everyone should read this book so we can have a more peaceful world. After all if you can't get along with people in your life how can we expect the world to get along?

~The Rebecca Review
on September 23, 2012
I really liked this book. It gives explanations why certain people act the way they do, giving the reader some insight and perhaps some empathy for the other person. It also offers useful information on dealing with these types of people. These suggestions are useful for situations ranging from school age children to difficult adults in the workplace.
on December 5, 2012
Thinking Tool: PNI, plus, not-plus and interesting

very good to know how they do tick!