Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Sale

on July 10, 1999
I have read many books on prayer but this one stands out head and shoulders above all others. Though it was written at such a different time in history, it is just as relevant today. What R.A. Torrey does in this book is much more than teach dry methods. Rather, he imparts to the reader the true spirit of prayer and how vital it is in practicality to our lives on a daily basis. A MUST for any believer serious about having a true, intimate relationship with their "Abba Father."
0Comment39 of 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 20, 2002
Torrey's title is, in my mind, somewhat misleading, but don't let this stop you from reading this invaluable book. There is no handbook on how to pray, really, nor can there be as true prayer is personal and relational. Still, How to Pray offers words on what prayer is, what it can do, and why we sometimes fail, both personally and corporately. "You have not because you ask not" says Torrey repeatedly. He expounds on this simple truth inspirationally and practically. This book should be read by anyone serious about prayer.
0Comment30 of 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 3, 2006
Flat out, there aren't many good, solid books on prayer. This is one of them. I gave it four stars for two reasons. First, what it covers, it covers extremely well. Torrey is an acknowledged master from generations gone by. Second, for some reason, he leaves out a few aspects of prayer that should have been included (like praying for things that seem already promised to us--WHY that's important).

I would recommend this book along with only 2 others. "With Christ in the School of Prayer" (Murray) is another standard work that will deliver the goods. And if you like the way Torrey organizes his lessons, you will probably like an author of this generation (who must have read Torrey!) who wrote "God, Help Me Pray!". This book (though almost impossible to find) reads a bit more contemporary, and could be the modern standard on prayer.

I would not be without Torrey, but the newer books cover everything he does and then some. The latter book is also quite practical, if you like that sort of thing.
11 comment23 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 19, 1998
This book is going on my top ten list of recommended reading for young believers. Torrey explains in easy to understand language the principles of effective prayer laid out in the scriptures. A must-read for anyone desiring to improve upon their prayer life!
on April 15, 1998
This is an awesome book! I've given copies to several friends. While reading at a coffee shop one day, I thought "I can't wait to get home and pray like this!" This book focuses on God and aligning your heart with His will, not simply getting what you want. A short and easy read, but it efficiently makes an impact.
on May 27, 2013
"How to Pray" by RA Torrey was an excellent resource that has helped clarify my prayer life. I'm still unsure that I have a complete understanding of prayer but feel I'm, "getting there." I also gave a copy to a friend from church whom I believe will benefit from it. The book really made me think - I had to reevaluate my prayer life.

Sincerely,
Charles (Chuck) Stanley
on January 21, 2014
I did not fully realize the great depth and magnitude of the power of prayer before reading this book. The act of prayer goes beyond a dinner time grace-like prayer to God. It demands a totally uninterrupted seeking of God outside of a few shallow words followed by amen. This teaching tool on 'How to Pray' has certainly opened my eyes to what it means to pray fervently (with prayer and supplications) and more frequently even without a set organized time for prayer. As I complete this book, we are in the third and final week of a 21 Day Consecration through my church where we are seeking God for various reasons during this set time. Many of us in the church have bought this book as a guide to prayer and to learn just what it means to seek God diligently in season and out of season as some have put it. After the praying and fasting days are completed, we can still continue with the same mind set for praying especially for the lost. There is no limit on the amount of time you can spend before the Lord on behalf of others as well as for yourself. 'How to Pray' is a wonderful prayer guide, Godly inspired and is timeless!!!
on October 4, 2012
How To Pray by R. A. Torrey is one the best books I have read on prayer. It is a must read for people who want to experience a deeper meaning and understanding of bible based prayer.
This book was written in 1900 by R.A. Torrey (1856-1928), evangelist, pastor, educator and author. In it, Dr. Torrey looks at prayer, with chapters on: 1) the importance of prayer, 2) praying unto God (as opposed to praying for the edification of the listeners), 3) obeying and praying, 4) praying in the name of Christ and according to the will of God, 5) praying in the Spirit, 6) always praying and not fainting, 7) abiding in Christ, 8) praying with thanksgiving, 9) hindrances to prayer, 10) when to pray, and 11) the need of prayer before and during revivals.

Though this book was written more than a century ago, it is as exciting and relevant today as if it was brand new. The author makes copious use of Biblical passages, showing examples and admonitions on prayer. And, though many old books are dry reads compared to modern books, this one is so wonderfully written that its age is completely irrelevant. I think that this is a great book, one that would make a worthwhile addition to the library of every Christian.
on February 20, 2014
This book though written in a different era is still greatly relevant to this age and would in my view be always timeless. It mirrors the way God moves in our society- a few people dedicated to seeking the hand of God, laboring in prayer kindle a revival, but first they must first develop a life of prayer.

This book lays the charge of revival soundly at the individual's doorstep, it charges the individual to lead a life that connects to God in prayer so that there is a vessel to pour out God's work to society at large. The reliance on prayer as a God chosen path to not just personal growth but societal change deeply resonates with me and I will recommend this book to everyone interested in seeing God's hand in this ever tumultuous world.