Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 11, 2007
This book is based on the idea that pictures (visual images) are easier to remember than meaningless words or numbers. The author shows you how to translate non-visual concepts into visual images that really stick. As an optometrist, I decided to try out his system by memorizing the names of 5 kinds of contact lenses and the oxygen-flow number associated with each, in order from highest to lowest. It took me just a few minutes. It uses all three of the basic methods in Vaughn's book: the room (locus) method for remembering things in order, the "audionym" method for making a visual image from an otherwise abstract word, and the "number code" for translating numbers into words. None of this is new, but Vaughn presents it well, with lots of examples and pictures. It would be an excellent book for exam-taking students.
on April 12, 2011
This is a great book for anyone who wants to learn how to learn. We learn by remembering what we are taught, so knowing how to remember is knowing how to learn. The methods in this book are very arcane to the majority of people, but that's because memory enhancement is not a popular subject in the U.S. I have a lot of educational books I am to do over the summer, and this book will help me learn how to retain the information I am taught. I believe learning how to learn should be mandatory in the first year of public education in the U.S. Anyways, you can remember anything with the methods taught in this book. I recommend this book to everyone who is not evil. There is one important point I would like to make though. The "numbered room" system taught as the first method in this book is inferior, at least in my opinion, to the "memory palace" method. Just to give you an idea of what these things are, they are mental environments where you store imaginary images. I don't need to go to in depth to explain why the "memory palace" is better. The "numbered room" forces you to use environments that are square or rectangle, and you need to order your information according to the layout the book gives you. By putting your images in this sequence in your "numbered room", you can access the images in the order of which you placed them, assuming that you need to recall information in order from first to last. With the "memory palace", you can still put images in a mental environment, but it doesn't need to be a square or rectangular room. You can also order the information from first to last as well. The "memory palace" does the same thing as the "numbered room", but it is less limiting. All the other methods in this book are fine. For information on the "memory palace", either do your own research or check out the book "Moonwalking With Einstein".
on November 6, 2012
Dean Vaughn is excellent. This is certainly worth reading. He has some interesting ideas you won't find in Buzan or O'Brien...

if you want to go deeper into the subject
Read:
Moonwalking with Einstein

and anything by
Dominic O'Brien

also go to
on August 20, 2012
I have several books and a dvd on the subject of memory systems and this book is the best that I have come across.

It differs from other books in that the author gives examples of the words to use when developing images to help you remember the things you want to remember ,a technique used by all memory systems.in developing the locations to store your immages he uses a room with four walls and four cornors a floor and a ceiling. using this technique you end up with an organized method of storing the locations where the things that you want to remember.

other memory systems have the problem in that often you loose what you have storred in short term memory may be displaced by other items before they are transferred to permanent memory.

Dean's system appears to have improved my memory many times over and the improvement has in my opinion has stoppeed the progress of my alheimers disease symptions. I will take up this opinion with my neurologist at our next meeting.

I bought this book used from Amazon as I have all my other books.
on April 14, 2009
Still working through this. Not EASY to use. Then again, maybe I'm just a little old and a little dense. But the techniques described take much, much, much practice. On the other hand, I seem to remember what it taught in the first 10 pages a monthly later, and that's as far as I got so far, so maybe it's working.
on June 14, 2011
I own several books by Dean Vaughn and I highly recommend all of them.
I'm using this book to help my daughter. Wish I'd had this book
when I was in school.
on May 27, 2010
I discovered this book when I was researching for an academic speech on memory enhancement techniques. I've only skimmed through it so far, but I'm sure that the methods described will ensure my success when I begin my Bachelor Degree Nursing Program in the Fall. This is going to be the best summer read ever!! If you are a college student of ANY age (I'm 41) I highly recommend this book to help you get better grades in every class you take. I have recommended this book as a suggested text to my Anatomy and Microbiology instructors for future semesters. I am also giving a copy of the book to my niece who is graduating high school, and is going into the Pharmacy profession. We spend hundreds of dollars on textbooks, so why not less than $20 to make sure that the information in those texts will stay with you beyond the final exam?
on September 6, 2012
This book is awesome! I use Dean Vaughn's memory systems every day. I own the book already but I bought again just to have it in a digital format. Everyone should take the time to read this book. It will change your life!
on December 26, 2014
Another one I didn't get all the way through. There's a section that tells you not to proceed until you've mastered some certain skill. The skill was never mastered, so I never proceeded.
on September 29, 2013
A pretty straightforward read that covers lots of techniques related to mnemonics in a variety of areas. If you are looking mnemonic techniques for a variety of areas you may want to check out this book. Many of the ideas presented are similar to many of the ideas presented in other resources.