5.0 out of 5 stars This book delivers on its promises
Published on July 22, 2001 by Kirstin Elaine Myers

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Helpful
I bought this book at a womens' leadership conference a couple of years ago. I read it cover-to-cover and decided to try the skills covered when communicating in my office. My supervisors' opinions of me changed drastically - they began to view me as surly and defiant. I didn't think any of the verbage alternatives were rude, but in the organization where I was...
Published on April 24, 2005 by Amy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This book delivers on its promises, July 22, 2001
Kirstin Elaine Myers (Gloucester, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Say It For Women: Communicating with Confidence and Power Using the Language of Success (Paperback)
Dr. Phyllis Mindell begins her work with an opening that outlines the benefits you will gain as a reader, and advice for making the most of the book. Among Dr. Mindell's long list of promises are some very audacious ones, such as "influence policy decisions at the top" "improve your career" and "lead and manage successfully". Upon reading this intro, I was intrigued but highly skeptical. After all, Phyllis didn't know my particular situation, the politics in my company, or the people with whom I am dealing. How then, I wondered, could she guarantee me such dramatic results? After reading the book and seeing immediate improvement in my professional life, I understand that that is the point indeed--the issues faced by women in all professions and at all levels have common roots! Dr. Mindell has discovered the true cause of women's relative lack of success in the workplace when compared to men: a failure to appreciate and utilize the power of language. Unfortunately, we are often guilty of self-sabotage in which we undermine our own effectiveness with weak language or an attempt to imitate the "strong" language of men.Fortunately, Dr. Mindell has developed a language style for women and she teaches it in a practical, actionable way with lots of examples and tools to show the reader "how to transform your life by transforming your language". She also discusses style and dressing for success, as well as power reading, both important issues related to that of language. The book's effect on me was immediate, as I was reading it on a plane on the way to Brazil: I had to write a presentation to give in Sao Paulo and was "cheating" by using my time to read instead. However, when I got to the chapter on organizing and writing effective presentations, I simply followed the outline and got mine done in half the time. I also received many compliments for my apparent "off the cuff" speech the next day at the Energy conference. Little did they know that I had the help of an "expert"! I loved the whole book and read it in a couple of sittings although it is not a "light read" by any means. I am now recommending "How to Say it For Women" to all my women colleagues and friends. The book is a good investment and a steal at that price.

5.0 out of 5 stars What every woman should know!, March 9, 2006
Anne Hunter "Anne" (Oak Park, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I read about this book - actually, I consider it a textbook - when searching for tools on expanding my career. I usually wouldn't buy something like this, and instead look for similar information from free 'Net sources. But on a whim, I bought it, and am so glad I did. I'm not even halfway through and what I've learned already has helped me to speak and express myself in a way that gets people's attention, and has improved my professional image. One of the best tips, which comes early in the book, is catching myself using the "I think/like/don't like" phrase when I want to discuss facts. I do it, so I don't look like a know-it-all. Dr. Mindell, however, shows several ways to express facts without appearing as though I have all the answers.

The author also cites common grammar and language mistakes that keep women in the background, and prevent us from asserting our strengths and skills. The concept of Weak Language is especially intriguing; in reviewing the examples, I saw myself in almost every one. Her solutions are very attainable, but she strongly recommends practicing this new language with another woman. I have, and my women friends were amazed at how powerful this "new" language sounds.

These are hard habits to break, but with the tips and examples in this book, I'm getting better at it. And I can see the difference in how others treat me; more importantly, I feel different about myself. The book is really a life-changing experience, for someone who has never really put much thought into my "image" but is continually frustrated at not getting the positive attention for my work success as I believe I deserve. Thank you Dr. Mindell!

5.0 out of 5 stars A valuable resource for aspiring women leaders, July 29, 2004
I can't recommend this book highly enough. As a leadership coach in Silicon valley I often help women managers and executives to become better leaders, and this book speaks directly to two of the biggest roadblocks to women's advancement: communication and confidence. These women are shocked at how closely Mindell understands their work challenges. The book takes highly volatile, challenging workplace situations and offers suggestions that immediately actionable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great basis for coursework, April 4, 2005
I am using this book as a reference for my students in a business english course in Japan. Although the students find reading it cover to cover a bit too much (lower intermediate English level) when I point out specific points and pages I want them to read and understand, they really get a lot out of it. The book is written well and ideas are developed and backed up clearly. I would recommend this to any teachers of women students.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to be the speaker you admire, August 1, 2008
Mo "Mo" (Pacifica, CA) - See all my reviews
Early in my career, I knew I was far more intelligent than my speech presented. One day, after listening to an admired friend say one of her gorgeously precise sentences, I asked her where she had learned to speak so powerfully, always able to find the most effective word, always able to form them into the most on-the-mark sentences. Her answer was this book.

I would never have picked it up on my own. The "for women" part would have put me off. I wasn't thinking of my "weak" language as a gender issue. But, even if you don't look at things that way, this book will help you.

Read it. Do the exercises. You'll think about language in a whole new way and find yourself being listened to -and believed- more than ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable!, January 18, 2001
By A Customer
How to Say It for Women is the only guide to communication I'll ever need. It not only gives great tips on reading, writing, speaking, listening, style, and body language, but it even gives "crib sheets" that suggest exact words to say in hard situations (job interviews, conflicts, performance appraisals). To top it off, the checklist on leadership skills show a clear way to perfect my skills. And the idea of using Charlotte the spider as the role model is so much fun and brings me back to my own childhood.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mandatory Reading for the Successful Businesswoman, July 8, 2001
By A Customer
How to Say It For Women delivers an action plan to convey confidence in today's business environment. Whether it is in speech, writing or behavior, the guidelines outlined provide a common sense approach to successful business communication.

5.0 out of 5 stars Women who want to advance into management should invest in this book, November 16, 2008
I purchased this book because of the praise of other Amazon reviewers and I was not disappointed!

As a professional in a very male dominated field, this book truly hit home for me - so much so that a few of the points the author made were echoes of comments made previously by my boss about my own performance. Women fall into many traps that undermine their credibility and this book calls them out, one by one.

I can't tell you how often I'm on a conference call and use the words "I think..." or "In my opinion...". Men don't use these words. Besides, they know that's what you think - you're the one saying it! However, justifiers such as these portray you as insecure, whether true or not. This is just one example of the ways women inadvertently tarnish their credibility.

The author covers a vast array of topics and ways to become a stronger leader (and this doesn't necessarily mean you have to be just like a man!):

Weak words and grammar
Presentations and speaking in front of a group
Body language
Style and dress
Reading for Power (what you read and how)
Listening
Leadership and Management

The author includes many examples to illustrate her points and provides information that women can put to work to accelerate their careers. It is such a useful text that it was the recommended reading selection for a continuing education course a friend of mine recently attended. (She has already asked to borrow my copy.) The author has been conducting workshops on this topic for years and (sometimes humorously) includes her observances from those classes and participants in her book. Take advantage of her knowledge and invest in this book - you will not be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Winning Words for Women, January 17, 2001
By A Customer
Dr.Mindell knows how to make hard things seem easy,like how to plan a presentation without panic,how not to let fear stop you,and the different kinds of e-writing.My favorite chapters are the ones about style[don't vacuum while wearing high heels,shape doesn't matter],listening,and interviewing.I recommend it for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable!, January 18, 2001