Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: How to Say It to Seniors: Closing the Communication Gap with Our Elders
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on July 9, 2007
An easy to read book with a very powerful message. We as a society need to redevelop a respect for our seniors. Because, after all, we will all be there sooner than we think.

This book describes human development stages, including the one seniors go thru toward the end of their lives. It really is the most important, but least understood phase of our development.

As a senior advocate, I would like to see this information rolled into our educational system, because it's so important to us all.

If you have a senior family member, friend or client please get a copy for yourself. I think that you'll find yourself ordering additional copies for others.
on February 22, 2016
If you do not know what to say to an elderly person or feel you constantly get into arguments or get frustrated or irritated. This is the book to read. It explains the communication gap so wonderfully it is absolutely amazing. Once you start reading you cannot stop. I work with seniors and this book came highly recommended when I attended a required training for maintaining my certification. It is everything needed for good and clear communication with seniors. Highly recommend it. Awesome!!!
on September 16, 2004
As someone who daily works with seniors, I found this book to be an excellent overview and comprehensive study into this subject. The author's experience and specificity of the issues involved is very informative. I especially liked the manner in which the many relevant subjects were covered.

I highly recommend this not only to those who work in this area, but anyone who has contact on a continuous basis with this generation.
on December 19, 2012
I read this a few years ago when I worked with senior citizens. It was very helpful in understanding where they were coming from, what their motivation was. But I had taken it out from the library and I now need it for dealing with my own parents. I am so glad I could find it for my Kindle. I often wonder why my parents tell me things that are so different from my own perspective. They raised me- when did they change? This book helps with that disconnect. It has given me patience and understanding that make it easier to work with my parents and get them to accept the care and support they need. I can show them what they need to know in a way they can understand and accept, without feeling like I am forcing them to do something they don't want.
on June 30, 2015
It's a good book for those who are facing caring for their elderly parents. It is not going to solve all the problems, but it has very good suggestions on how to talk to the elderly - mainly by describing what motivates them, what their priorities and states are, and how to respect that and save yourself some frustration, because one cannot and should not force anyone and anything, and one should not rush things either.
on December 7, 2012
Suggestions of ways to approach difficult questions are answered carefully. Did not help me with an 100 year old mother with all of her wits whose body is just shutting down. It is difficult to discuss some of the suggestions when the senior is totally deaf and cannot see well to read notes.
on June 18, 2016
Another book that was used for my Elder's Class. My professor is a life coach for working with seniors. David Solie writes how being patience is so important when dealing with the elder. He mention in his writing of how many sales have been loss in financial planning, because the person did not understand many seniors, and was not patience. Many try to close the deal without giving the seniors time to think things through. This is a very good book.
on March 20, 2013
As my parents began to need more help from me, the non-sensical (to me) things they were saying were making me crazy! This book helped me understand what they were REALLY talking about. It doesn't have any quick, easy answers, but it helps give me patience when I realize the issue is not this or that little thing that is happening, but an expression of deeper personal issues that they don't know how to express in a more direct way, or maybe even realize themselves.
on September 16, 2008
Sheds light on why it can be so hard, and frustrating, to talk with our parents and other seniors and, offers recommendations for overcoming communication barriers - theirs and ours.
on August 13, 2013
In the last couple years, while my parents crossed the 70 age line, they became increasingly impossible for me to understand. Who are you people? What happened to the people I'd finally adjusted to dealing with? Why can't you make a simple decision within a reasonable time frame? This book, I hoped, would help explain what happened....and it does. It should be required reading for anyone with parents in this age group. It's accessible and clear with examples that ring all too true.