5.0 out of 5 stars perfect for the professional working mom
Published on October 29, 2007 by K.C.

2.0 out of 5 stars How the RICH she really does it...
Published on September 1, 2010 by DoctorMom

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect for the professional working mom, October 29, 2007
What I loved about this book is that she clearly expressed so many feelings that I have had over the last 3 years of being a professional, working mom. She covers all the aspects of my life; kids, husband, work! And, while there are some tips on how to effectively organize time, etc. this book is really just about helping me feel like I'm not alone. I was so happy to read that other women have experienced all the exact same feelings and frustrations as myself.

This book is really targeted towards professional women who work. She does not have a lot of empathy or understanding for stay at home mom's (she believes it's hypocritical to get a high level degree and then decide not to work anymore), so if this would offend you, don't read this book. For me, it was perfect because I tend to agree, but it's not something all moms agree on. Also, the research presented is strongly supportive of working and does not present research to support mom's staying at home. In that sense it is one-sided. However, for a mom who does work a lot and wants to feel validated it's wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars not a how-to manual, June 25, 2007
At first, I was frustrated when reading this book because I thought it would give me tips on "how to really do it." But I am glad I kept reading because although the book does not offer hints on how to organize yourself or your house, it does tell you how different women approach their roles as mother and worker/professional. The inspirational stories in this book really helped me to see how choosing your mindset can make balancing family and work life easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Wendy Sachs - Much Less Guilt Now!, January 31, 2007
I highly recommend this book to any working OR stay at home mom. It has been such a refreshing read. Since I rarely get time to read it was a blessing that I saw the author on a morning news program and heard about her book. It has really lightened my mental load and made me realize that I am not the only working mom that struggles with the daily grind as well as the often self-induced guilt. Enjoy!

2.0 out of 5 stars How the RICH she really does it..., September 1, 2010
Sure if you're Vera Wang or Bobbi Brown or Ann Curry any other famous or wealthy mom profiled in this book, this might be the book for you. Otherwise, if you're a hard working mother who HAS to go back to a traditional job that doesn't bend around your fame and fortune this book is useless. There are no helpful tips whatsoever. Just not-so-poignant accounts of rich NYC area women who, often times, quit their real pre-baby jobs to start knitting companies or freelance. I was shocked that the author herself quit her job to write the book - hardly a stay-at-work perspective. Save your money for the extra latte that most of us real working moms need!

1.0 out of 5 stars Read only if you areVera Wang or Ann Curry, November 22, 2011
Ivy (Pittsburgh) - See all my reviews
All (or at least most) of the women interviewed for this book have extraordinary careers. And most of them live in NYC or somewhere similiar. If you are an attorney, banker, etc. or if you live in a midsize city, I really don't think that this book offers much insight and virtually no advice.
If you are looking for a book that will lift your spirits, offer some practical advise and inspire you to have a fresh outlook, I suggest "Balance is a Crock, Sleep is for the Weak"

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, fluffy and no concrete tips..., August 4, 2008
What a disappointment... Every chapter reads the same and there is not one true "take-away" that working moms can use... Meanwhile most of the mothers interviewed are high-profile execs who can probably hire nannies, etc. Not reality at all...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, April 11, 2006
Ms. Sachs absolutely gets it. The interviews and observations in her book really describe what I've been going through, trying to balance the two very important parts of my life. Who says we have to choose one over the other? Who says we have to figure it out all alone? Above all, this book proved to me that we're not alone and that there just might be strength in numbers. Thank you, Ms. Sachs! Keep it coming.

4.0 out of 5 stars Made me feel a little better., February 7, 2011
Juju (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
I really liked this book - no, it doesn't give you a perfect answer to a tough problem - it isn't going to tell you exactly what to do - but it really did make me feel a little less alone. There are tons of moms out there who make things work in a number of different ways. Hopefully you'll find some of these stories as inspiring as I did, and it will help you get through a tough adjustment period a little bit easier as you return to work.

1.0 out of 5 stars creepy, August 27, 2010
This book made my skin crawl. And made me so, so happy that I stay home with my kids and no longer have to work with people like this author.

How She Really Does It: Secrets of Successful Stay-at-Work Moms
How She Really Does It: Secrets of Successful Stay-at-Work Moms by Wendy Sachs (Paperback - March 7, 2006)
Used & New from: $0.58