4.0 out of 5 stars Good read for any male coach of young female players, December 19, 2012
This review is from: How She Thinks is How She Plays (Kindle Edition)
I have been coaching girls and young ladies for the past 5 years. I always knew girls reacted differently from boys in regards to instruction, positive reinforcement and critical feedback during practice and on the field at game time but always struggled with the how's and why's of dealing with sometimes emotional young ladies. Like most volunteer coaches, I'm not a trained psychologist or educator. This book gave me much insight into the female psyche and has given me a more positive outlook as my team and daughter go into competitive travel ball. It covers some things you probably already know about your team or daughter but it goes much deeper into the how and why girls think and react to different situations and how you as a coach or parent need to deal with them.

Probably the biggest thing I took out of it was the effort vs results mentality. After a difficult tournament weekend where all the girls were mentally breaking down and I admittedly got too emotional and lost my cool, I changed my personal philosophy and that of all the coaches and parents to focus more on the effort each player was putting forth rather than worry about a poor inning, error or game outcome. Being a developmental team, this was exactly what we all needed. I was less stressed as a coach because I was looking for small victories throughout the game rather than focusing on the score and the players were more willing to go hard each play rather than worry about making a mistake. There was an immediate performance improvement and better vibe all around. It almost felt like we were winning even though the score said otherwise. There is so much more to the book than that and I recommend this to any coach or parent at any level, particularly for the those of pre-teens and teenage travel players. It gives you much insight and will help give you direction as your players seek higher levels of play and a possible scholarship if that is the goal. It also talks about how to deal and interact with a coach of your daughter as well as how a coach can deal with parents. It is well written and filled with great quotes.

I have been focusing so much of my effort as a coach into the physical part of the game and working on skills, that this book was just what I needed to start working on the mental part of the game with my players. It has without a doubt made me a better dad of a female athlete and a much more understanding and positive coach because it has put many things into perspective.

5.0 out of 5 stars Softball Parents' Dream Book!!!!, December 19, 2011
This review is from: How She Thinks is How She Plays (Kindle Edition)
As a former softball player, I was really excited to get to read this book! I loved how John Michael Kelly was able to write a book showing parents of softball parents better ways to help their kids improve on their game and improve as people. Growing up with my Dad as my softball coach for many years, I wish he would have read a book like this! He definitely needed to read the chapter about Confusing Winning with Success. If my fiance and I have a daughter one day who decides to play softball, he will definitely be reading this book before getting to coach her!!! This would be a great read for softball coaches as well! Many softball coaches become like second parents to their players so this book would be great for them as well!

4.0 out of 5 stars Mental game, good book, June 20, 2014
This review is from: How She Thinks is How She Plays (Kindle Edition)
Good book for my daughter pitching for a travel softball team. She has the skill but needs to boost her own confidence when on the mound.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Softball Coach Must Read, March 29, 2013
Glenn Bassett (Scottsdale, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How She Thinks is How She Plays (Kindle Edition)
This book brings together a number of fantastic strategies for the new coach or assistant coach to read and understand in a few hours. A solid read - many of these strategies are in our team's portfolio, but some new ones or at least a different look at some old ones as well. Take the time - read on a cross country flight or a sunday afternoon after practice.

4.0 out of 5 stars So Far So Good, January 1, 2013
This review is from: How She Thinks is How She Plays (Kindle Edition)
A lot of good insite to the mental game, could do without the URL ad popping up on the pages its really distracting

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, August 6, 2014
This review is from: How She Thinks is How She Plays (Kindle Edition)
Awesome book. Very informative! As a softball Mom this book brought lots of insight.

How She Thinks is How She Plays