Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on May 26, 2011
I love the series since the first time I watched on the History Channel, but the DVD has no indication of any kind if its the whole series or the first couple episodes etc... I believe that the DVD needs more information like 5 of the 10 episodes, or season 1 or volume 1. Anything to let me know what I am getting and what I can get later on
on July 23, 2011
I just wanted to clear up some confusion that is apparent from other reviews. This DVD is ONLY the original 2-hour special, which first aired on April 2010. This DVD does NOT include the 10-part series which aired from May 2011 - July 2011.

As far as I can tell, the 10-part series is not available here on Amazon nor at the History Channel website store, but see Ellen Goodman's comment below about it being available at Video On Demand.

Also:
Although this is a very interesting show, it has many factual errors, probably because the book that it is based on is full of errors. You might want to read through the reviews here of the book that the series is based on (same title). That doesn't mean we can't enjoy and learn from the show (or the book), but we should be very cautious about believing everything we think we "learn" from the show (or the book). Popular history is full of interesting "events" that never actually happened.
on May 4, 2011
How the States Got Their Shapes is a great dvd! It tells the story of how our nation formed geographically -- how it added states and how their borders changed. For instance, did you know there was a state named Franklin for 4 years? Or that Texas had to lose some of its northern border to remain a slave-holding state prior to the civil war? Or that the Louisiana Purchase happened because the Haitians rebelled against the French? There is so much more! This is history that just isn't found in our kids' history books anymore.
on June 11, 2011
While I have always been a history buff, I found this production could be much better if the product did not have music playing loudly while someone was speaking. I have no idea why the production staff would think that music inhances everything especially when someone is speaking as it was not needed and made it difficult to understand what was being said. Leave off the drummer and the music and it would be an interesting and informative piece of work. But for me, I would pass if I knew then what I know now regarding the drums and the music.
on February 14, 2012
This single DVD which is just the 2 hour teaser special and it actually costs more than the 10 episode entire season which also happens to include the same 2 hour special as a bonus on Disk 4.

Do yourself a favor and buy the whole season instead. It is an excellent series.

How the States Got Their Shapes: Season 1
on August 10, 2011
Great video but it may be the first of this series. One is not really sure what you are ordering as there is no table of contents detailing what program are contained...this is my only criticism. None of this is what is currently being shown on the History network in the summer of 2011 so would like to see a series of these programs put together in some kind of box set by each season it runs. What you have here is very good and I intend to use it in my high school classes. Give us more of this excellent series!!
on August 30, 2011
When you look at this product on Amazon the first image you see is the one that says season one! Yes the other image is there but this product is extremely misleading in terms of what it really is. This is as others have mentioned the 2 hour special. It is a great resource for me to use in my classroom but I really was looking forward to actually being able to use the T.V. Series.
on October 29, 2011
Love Love having my own copy of this extremely interesting dvd. Its fascinating and would be a great gift for anyone who has an interest in the USA
on July 15, 2012
Have you ever wondered why Michigan has the U.P.? Why Oklahoma has its odd "pan handle"? Or why many of the western states are so "boxy"? HOW THE STATES GOT THEIR SHAPES answers these questions, and presents many additional quirky tidbits and factoids associated with the boundaries of our states. From short-lived states such as "Franklin" and "Jefferson," to anomalies such as the Missouri "boot," and the "Northwest angle" - this DVD presents a nice bit of "cocktail party knowledge," whetting the appetite of those who are fond of odd facts and historical minutia.
I came across this DVD at my local library, and I'm glad that I gave it a chance. I look forward to getting my hands on a copy of the 10 part series that subsequently followed this premier.
on October 25, 2012
Watched the entire series in one very long day in the hospital and I was not bored for one single minute! Engaging, adorable, fascinating, charming, informative - and cute! Sure makes you want to travel...! They say that the one country the French know nothing about is France. They could say the same thing for we Americans. What an amazing place we live in. I had no idea of the enormous range of ways that we all live in these United States. How lucky we are! Five great big shiny stars for a GREAT series!!

So happy to see that the series is available for purchase. Can't wait to share it with my friends!