5.0 out of 5 stars The bible for freelance translators
Published on February 28, 2012 by Judy Jenner

3.0 out of 5 stars A good starting point for newbies
I was very excited to read this book as it seems to be the number one "must read" for freelance translators. I would say it's a must read if you are just starting out and if you have no prior business experience. The chapter on social media is very basic and merely listing the existing social media.
Published 22 months ago by Tim Windhof

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The bible for freelance translators, February 28, 2012
This review is from: How to Succeed as a Freelance Translator (Paperback)
There's no question that Corinne McKay's classic, now in its second edition, is the bible for all beginning -- and experienced -- freelance translators. This book should be required reading at any translation studies program. I immediately recommend Corinne's book whenever someone asks me how to get started in the industry. It's the most comprehensive book that's been written on the practical side of running a translation business.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, December 15, 2011
This review is from: How to Succeed as a Freelance Translator (Paperback)
This book really is the gold standard reference for linguists considering a career in translation. It's got a nice balance of detail and big-picture content, and is a good read to boot. If you've got the language skills, "How to Succeed as a Freelance Translator" will get you off to a strong start.

4.0 out of 5 stars Must-have book for any prospective freelance translator, December 31, 2013
I enjoyed reading the second edition as well as I enjoyed years ago reading its first edition. It is well written and to the point, with lots of useful information. I recommend this book to any linguist who is thinking of working as a self-employed freelance translator. Although it is targeted towards the US market, much of the information is very useful and can be used regardless of the market. The first edition was my motivator to brush up my translation skills after a decade of working in fields other than translation. Since I read the first edition, I started part-time freelancing and am considering now going full-time.

5.0 out of 5 stars informative, July 28, 2013
Good for anybody starting out. Lots of helpful info. I thank Corinne for sharing her experience. I still don't know whether I will be able to make a living translating but I learned a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breaks down the trade and business end to the T!!!!!!!, April 30, 2013
This review is from: How to Succeed as a Freelance Translator (Paperback)
Keep a highlighter handy! I just started reading the book and I'm already halfway through. Definitely helped me in my decision to remain doing freelance on the side. I have a Translation degreee 10 years experience with no Certification so she basically breaks down what the market is looking like and what your alternatives are based on your goals. I love interpreting but have a 9-5 so freelance translation is more feasible for me. THe book has many resources agency and association info and advice. ALso an intersting insight on common language pairs in terms of competition and pricing. I wish I had this book in my undergrad!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, August 27, 2013
This review is from: How to Succeed as a Freelance Translator (Paperback)
This is a great book if you want to begin a business in translating. It is not however a book about how to become a translator. I has great tips on how to become certified, what options you have, and how to charge your clients. I strongly recommend it!

3.0 out of 5 stars A good starting point for newbies, March 1, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars great, May 16, 2014
Loved it. Everything I needed to know to start my freelance business. She mentions everything that you wouldn't think of unless you were actually already in the business. Nice focus on the first year and marketing, I never realized how much of it you had to do.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful book for future translators, May 6, 2014
This review is from: How to Succeed as a Freelance Translator (Paperback)
Everything was ok with the purchase. It arrived in time. The book was in perfect condition. For me it was a useful purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars To be a successfull frelance translator should read this book., March 10, 2014
This review is from: How to Succeed as a Freelance Translator (Paperback)
It is usefull and wise advices and new ideas that I have not thought of as a freelance translator would have done.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

How to Succeed as a Freelance Translator
How to Succeed as a Freelance Translator by Corinne McKay (Paperback - August 31, 2011)
$19.95 $19.52