From the Inside Flap
The world of consulting is constantly changing in response to shifting economic realities and new technologies. In this new edition of the classic guide How to Succeed as an Independent Consultant, expert David Zahn updates Herman Holtzs sage advice to fit the new business landscape and take account of developments affecting the business.
No matter what your field of expertise, How to Succeed as an Independent Consultant will help you win clients through a variety of practical, proven techniques youll find only here. Packed with real-world, effective business-driving tacticsas well as up-to-the-minute advice on getting the most out of new technologiesthis helpful guide will show you how to market yourself in new ways, soar over IRS hurdles, and grow your home-office operation into a thriving practice. Information added to this edition also addresses the special concerns of internal consultantsthose professionals who work in-house, but provide the same service and expertise as outside consultants.
With helpful details and step-by-step advice, How to Succeed as an Independent Consultant will show you how to:
- Launch your consulting careerfrom finding assignments to leveraging your skills
- Use three simple rules to succeed spectacularly at your first client meeting
- Prepare for any sales situation and avoid common pitfalls when delivering your pitch
- Manage your finances, including insurance and taxes, so you can keep your business above-board and in the black
- Understand the latest ideas in marketingand how to use the Internet, e-mail, and other technologies to attract more clients
- Write an air-tight proposal
- Affordably produce your own press releases, brochures, and other sales and promotional materials
- Get the best deal possible when you negotiate fees and contracts
- Maintain the highest ethical standards for every project
Independent consulting is more popular than ever and competition is fierce. How to Succeed as an Independent Consultant gives you a head start and a lasting edge with fully actionable advice youll find in no other book. Updated with the help of readers just like you, this new edition is more useful, helpful, and comprehensive than ever.
From the Back Cover
The classic guide to consultingnow updated and more comprehensive than ever!
This latest edition of the independent consultants bible addresses all the ways the business of consulting has changed since the last editionincluding new information on using the Internet for marketing and on the special concerns of internal consultants. Full of no-nonsense, step-by-step techniques for setting up your consultancy and bringing in clients, this helpful, handy guide will show you how to:
- Find more leads and close more deals
- Leverage technology to meet business needs and enhance productivity
- Market yourself and your services more effectively than everonline and offline
- Write effective proposals that sell your ideas
- Make a winning impression in meetings with new clients
- Win over clients by knowing what to listen for when discussing potential projects
- Control your cash flow and spot the warning signs of trouble
- Excel at public speaking and give killer presentations
- Negotiate, set fees, and draft contracts so you come out ahead
- Deal successfully with the IRS
- Uncover new profit centers you didnt know about