Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation

on December 24, 2013
This game starts fun. The graphics are decent for the top-down style. Good lighting and water effects. Day and night cycle where night really amps up the challenge by making you watch your back constantly. A diverse crafting system. Decent skill tree options. Some of the voice acting is funny (I think intentionally) and unique.

I liked the survival aspects, which is the point of the game. You have to monitor your hunger, thirst, rest, and health. It's all manageable. You can collect empty bottles to store up water reserves, hunt animals and collect plants to cook at a campfire for food, collect herbs and create bandages to restore health, and secure a bunker to sleep in.

The combat is solid. The controls are easy. You craft increasingly strong weapons as you progress and different weapons have unique advantages. The machete cuts through plants and carves arrows from sticks, the bow is powerful and the arrows recoverable, the gun is rapid fire with plenty of ammo on the islands, the boomerang is very powerful but not as smooth and fast as the bow, etc. Melee combat animations are fluid with just enough variety--more than I expected from a game with this visual style.

While the gameplay mechanics are very solid, the storyline becomes more of a chore than fun unfortunately. It's a series of fetch quests that take you back and forth across the maps. Every time you pass one direction and clear the large amount of zombies, you have to then fight them all over again on the way back due to a fast respawn rate. This turned the game into a slow fetch quest grind for me and I lost interest about halfway through. If you make a wrong turn, it's even worse, because now you're fighting respawns over and over and you're not even in the right spot of the map.

You can't save the game except at story checkpoints and that can take a bit of time. Perhaps, if I could save at will, I could have tolerated the grind in smaller doses.

Maybe it's just me, but I had trouble with the quest early on where I had to collect meat from a deer. I kept wandering the map looking for deer and could never find them. When I finally would spot one, I would have to clear hordes of zombies to clear a path to it and these actions usually scared the deer away, leaving me to wander yet some more. The worst is when you're hunting deer at night and the extra zombies come to chase you down. You need to keep your flashlight on these nighttime zombies to keep them at bay, which makes focusing on the fleeting deer more difficult. The game says you can track the deer once you injure it by following blood on the ground. It's not that easy to do when the ground is already covered in excessive blood from slaying zombies. I eventually caught the deer and made the mistake of cooking the meat, which didn't complete the quest, so I had to repeat it all over again.

I really wanted to like this game. I actually told my friends how much I enjoyed it at the beginning. Then the grind just beat me down.

There is also inventory issues. Some of the crafting recipes call for 5 or 6 items. You're already stocking ammo, weapons, water, food, bandages, quest items, etc and the 25-item inventory fills fast. I don't really consider this a negative, because it more accurately reflects the reality of surviving on these islands. It might frustrate some players though. 25 slots is still considerably more than some games permit.

One small nitpick when it comes to resting: you aren't allowed to unless your rest meter is low enough. One time I was by a shelter at just over 50% fatigue. I couldn't rest before setting out on the next leg of my journey. That's just silly, because you can make adjustments on the other survival factors whenever you please.

As much as I would like to recommend this game for all its positive, interesting concepts, I just can't because the story is a major drag.
on June 17, 2014
I enjoy this game quite a bit. I picked it up for cheap and have gone back to it a few times. Some people have reviewed it harshly, but I think that's unjustified. If you want a survival game with some crafting and RPG elements, this is for you. My guess is that the detractors didn't know what they were buying in to
on December 31, 2014
Pros
+ CO-OP mode
+ Plenty of weapon combinations
+ Decent combat
+ Funny narrator who is also the bad guy of the story
+ Plenty of tutorials
+ Rpg and Shooter theme

Cons
- Short story
- Story ends on a cliff hangar

Maybe there will be a second game for How to Survive, but you never know nowadays. The game starts a little slow and by the end it gets somewhat repetitious grind for resources and ammo. Not too mention some of the same enemies are used over and over again with different skins and abilities. It feels like the game maker decided to recycle the enemies. The game does have boss fights, but don't expect too much from them. The game has a sort of role playing theme to it, but it doesn't emphasize on this alot. The game ends pretty much where it started and leaves you confused on what just happened. There are missions that you can take up it some time, which if you don't do the game goes by even quicker
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 19, 2014
I bought this game because it was on sale, I always thought that this wouldn't be a very good game. I was wrong, is a very good game, very entertaining and it's easy to just play for a little while or for a longer session.
on February 24, 2014
Not terribly far into this game, but for the price especially, its worth its weight. Good graphics, interesting story, more interesting weapons and environments. Its similar to what Dead Island would be if Dead Island weren't clunky, were 3rd person top-down, and didn't make you play half the game before you got a projectile weapon. This is a Steam DRM game, and I recommend it.
on April 28, 2014
For a measly 15 dollars or so this game is a good deal. The one drag is that it takes forever to find out what is going on, and then even longer to fetch everything that is needed. The one fetch quest I liked was for the dead cat. But only because I found the character who asked me to, hilarious.

P.S. Burning hedges is fun.
on January 30, 2014
Like killing Zombies? Like Post Apocalyptic futures? Want to Survive? This is the game for you, with a quirky storyline and lots and lots of blood and gore to keep you entertained for hours!
on March 7, 2014
I bought this game because it was on a super sale, and I really do like zombie games.

The idea of the game is great, surviving on an island full of zombies which sounds a LOT like Dead Island. However, it could just be a coincidence since this game is about survival mostly.

However, it might just be me but in 2014, the style of this game just didn't appeal to me. The graphics are sub-pay and the top down game-play was just not my style.
In the end, I couldn't get in this game and decided that money will go towards developers who might try to make better games in the future.

If you're really into zombies and survival games, regardless of graphics, this might be your thing. There is no such thing as a bad game, just different tastes when it comes to games.
on January 10, 2015
As soon i downloaded i start it to play and what can i say? is a nice game :) good for killing time.
on January 17, 2014
As long as you don't take it too seriously, this is a pretty fun game. The "survival guides" add a light bit of humor to the game.