5.0 out of 5 stars A 'Must Read' for anyone who works with children
I am a Montessori teacher with 10 years' experience in the classroom as well as a parent to two young children. I also teach workshops to parents and teachers based on the Faber/Mazlish books.

Published on August 14, 2005 by Tracy L. Fortun

2.0 out of 5 stars Be Easy
Caveat: I've read the other books in the series so my review may be a little skewed. While this book has some good ideas and some very good suggestions on how to speak to children - most of it is rehashed from the other books. However this book is written from the teachers perspective and not the perspective of the parent. For some reason the author(s) writing style is a...
Published 11 months ago by Ty Nelson

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'Must Read' for anyone who works with children, August 14, 2005
This review is from: How To Talk So Kids Can Learn (Paperback)

Anyone who works with children should use this book as a reference and re-read it every year or two. Not simply because these methods are effective - which they absolutely are, when practiced faithfully - but because Faber and Mazlish promote a style of teaching/parenting that helps a child develop a positive self-image, strong skills of communication, empathy for others, and self-control.

I'm so dismayed to see even a few negative reviews of this book, presumably written by educators. One of the negative reviewers is right on the money: if you are a person who believes that the adult must retain absolute power over children, then this is NOT the book for you. I would also say that if you are that person, then you should STOP working with children immediately.

If, however, your goals are to aid a child in the development of a strong character and to help nurture life skills that will lead to an adult that is confident, capable of making decisions, and excited to learn and explore the challenges of the world: then get this book today.

4.0 out of 5 stars More of the same from the authors in this excellent series, August 25, 2002
David Stengle (Princeton, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How To Talk So Kids Can Learn (Paperback)
This book was written in response to requests from educators, some of whom apparently experienced difficulty translating the principles from the authors' earlier work, "How to talk to kids will listen and listen so kids will talk." The writing is clear and the supporting comics are very helpful. Like their earlier works, this is about how to get kids to open up and has useful tips about a variety of subjects. For example, when brainstorming, let them go first so that they are not initimidated by some great suggestion.
As with the earlier works, the ideas apply similarly to adults. I don't think the book is necessary unless one wants more examples applied to primary education. Otherwise, I'd just get their first book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I highly recommend this incredible book, February 16, 2000
This review is from: How To Talk So Kids Can Learn (Paperback)
This was a blessing to read! The book offers practical ways to create solutions for problems, how to listen, empathize, and better understand the person with whom you're speaking. As a teacher, I am able to apply this with students of ages ranging from 5 to 15 yrs old, and as a continuing student, I am able to apply communication techniques to others. The illustrations are especially helpful for "review" of the books main focus. This is a simple to read, easy to understand book, with efficient ways to apply knowledge towards MANY people, not only children. I recommend this book for anyone who has an interest in improving their communication skills, interpersonal relationships, and relationships with children. Husbands, wives, teachers, students, THIS BOOK WORKS when applied. I felt a sense of accomplishment and pride when I noticed myself referring to examples from the book, and you can, as well. It's definitely worth reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - A must for educators, September 23, 2001
Ms Diva "cycworker" (Nanaimo, B.C. Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How To Talk So Kids Can Learn (Paperback)
I loved this book. It goes along with "How To Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk." In fact, the book uses the same formula and layout. The communication techniques are the same, with different examples which show how they can be used in a school setting. I found the cartoons really helpful and I liked all the great examples. I especially liked all the illustrative dialogues between the teachers in the book; the authors really take the time to explore all the criticisms of their approach and do a good job of refuting them.
The one thing the book doesn't do, because it is so focussed on communication, is really address specific school problems, like students who don't do homework. If that's what you're looking for, this book may not be enough, but the communication skills taught in it are still valuable as part of dealing with such issues. Thus, if you've read the first book you might find it repetitive. If you haven't, and you're a teacher, I'd suggest you buy this one instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every teacher, experienced and new, needs this book!, June 25, 1998
This review is from: How To Talk So Kids Can Learn (Paperback)
After a frustrating first year of teaching at a junior high school, I was about ready to give up the teaching career all together. I picked up this book one evening because I liked the cartoon drawings in it (it looked like it would be fun to read). I couldn't put it down. I learned so many things that I cannot wait to use my second year of teaching. I especially appreciated the chapter on praising children. I never realized what a negative impact that too "straight-forward" praise (such as "You're so smart!") could have on a student. Now I look back when I was a kid, and I hated it when people would constantly say that to me, because I always felt like, "okay, i'm smart....so what?" I thought I wouldn't be allowed to make a mistake. Those types of teachers that would say things like, "oh, don't worry about that assignment/paper/project...you are smart..you can do it," well, that didn't make me feel any better. The best teachers I had were the ones that gave me specific examples of things that I was doing right in class.

5.0 out of 5 stars cartoons help you to visualize yourself in examples, July 4, 2000
This review is from: How To Talk So Kids Can Learn (Paperback)
I just happened to stumble upon this book while looking for something to help me communicate better with my kids and I think I have hit the jackpot! Instead of just talking about and around each example the authors funnel their expertise into little cartoons that make it so easy to grasp the concepts. I can really see myself in each example speaking to my kids, and (yes, unfortunately) I am usually on the doing-it-wrong end of things. This book should really give me a lot of practical ways to relate to my children that are immediately usable.
Even after gaining the knowledge contained in this book I'm sure that the key is always being aware of what is happening so that you do not miss opportunities to use the techniques that you have learned. This awareness is probably attained only through consistent practice of the techniques themselves. The good news however, is that you will probably remember the little cartoons better than if you had simply read about something you were supposed to do in a certain situation.
While the book is aimed at the parent/child or teacher/child relationship, the concepts are easily transferrable to other social contexts such as supervisor/worker, boss/employee, etc. And don't stop there. The techniques do not have to be limited to non-peer relationships. They can be just as effectively applied to peer relationships as well. They basically cover good, PRACTICAL, communication techniques that are in essence universal. In my current guest relations job, I can immediately use many of the techniques. They involve denying yourself the satisfaction of talking down to another person, and trying to find another means to effectively commuicate without being condescending, which is so easy in the parent/child relationship.
Although there may be other fine books that also give great advice in this area, this book stands out in that the advice is perceived visually, and it is fun, which may make the information more retainable. A great book and easy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for every teacher and education major, May 18, 2004
This review is from: How To Talk So Kids Can Learn (Paperback)
Wow. This book made a lot of sense. What I like best is the layout. Not only does it practically apply theories (particularly those of Ginott), it tells you how to do so in a user-friendly way. There are checklists, comics, and even dialogues to help teachers (and parents too) see and understand how the techniques described by Faber and Mazlish work. The day care where I currently work uses extreme discipline techniques (and requires teachers to punish moreso than negotiate), so I have not been able to fully practice this method and really see whether or not it works in that setting. However, this book helped me look at children in a different way and respect them even more. The tips on parent-teacher conferences helped me successfully hold my first parent-teacher conference. I did use the method in a student conference with my CCD kids, and it helped me see all the children's point of views and understand the roots of the misbehavior (though we are currently still working on the issues, but the method has a long-term approach moreso than short-term one). Parents should pick up this book at a library and check it out. Teachers, read it and read it and read it some more (and highlight it like crazy)!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are a parent or teacher - get this book., September 22, 2000
reviewer (Carlisle, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How To Talk So Kids Can Learn (Paperback)
When I picked up this book in the library, I thought it would be just another PC approach to teaching. Instead, what I found was an insightful, well written book with ideas and techniques that I could put to work immediately. I've been teaching 8 and 9 year olds on a volunteer basis for 9 years, often feeling frustrated that I couldn't get through to them or motivate them. This book has given me a new approach that has already paid big dividends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable book guides and instructs in simple fashion., April 26, 1998
This review is from: How To Talk So Kids Can Learn (Paperback)
We,parents are often overwhelmed with the responsibilites of raising the sweet things we call our children. We make it throught the strain of the sleepless years, the toddler tantrums, the preschool whys and then we realize we cannot dump our kids off in school and sigh with relief. We need to encourage life long learning. It will never end! Well, Faber and Mazlish continue to outline in this book, simple, sensible, aproaches to problemsolving and esteem building that will invigorate a child's desire to learn. This book is a continuation of How To Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk. Getting away from the fussing, fighting and ranting with children becomes so easy when following their direct and simple outlines of how to carry on discussion. By encouraging active listening, the heart plays a bigger role in interacting with children than the sometimes ranting mouth. I highly recommend it !

5.0 out of 5 stars The Power of True Listening, October 16, 2007
LiveitUp (Montclair, NJ) - See all my reviews
"How to Talk So Kids Can Learn" caught my eye when I was looking for a
book to read. Communicating with children has been something that's intrigued me. I don't have any kids of my own but my boyfriend has two and I want to be able to communicate with them to the best of my ability. Kids are little beings who absorb everything around them, which in turn, creates who they become. I'd often ask myself " What is the right way to communicate with kids?" or " Is there a "right" way?"

The authors, Faber and Mazlish, have some wonderful suggestions on how to
engage and truly listen to kids. Just being with kids and allowing them to
be who they are can create a truly positive relationship and bond. I have
found that when I'm "in the moment" with them, I can be appropriate to all situations.

Another book that I recommend is Being Here: Modern Day Tales of Enlightenment by Ariel & Shya Kane. This book has just been released and it is fantastic. Through stories and experiences it provides keys on how to truly listen and be available for whatever comes your way. It is possible that when you live your life in the moment, magic can happen in all relationships: the one with yourself and the people around you.

How To Talk So Kids Can Learn
How To Talk So Kids Can Learn by Adele Faber (Paperback - September 3, 1996)
$16.00 $12.40