Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on November 8, 2007
I think this book is alright if you want some quick and easy art activities or if you need an introductory worksheet when teaching a certain art element. I am a specialist Art teacher and I very occassionally refer to the book for 'early finisher' activities. But, as a book that claims 'how to teach art to children' it is severely lacking and I did not find any of the 96 projects inspirational. All of the illustrations appear to be photos of adult work (made to look like childrens' work). If you are looking for a book with depth, expert advice and beautiful photos of actual student work - I would thoroughly recommend the book 'Emphasis Art - A Qualitative Art Program for Elementary and Middle Schools'.
44 comments|164 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 12, 2005
I have used this book in my second grade class and been pleasantly surprised at the results. The lessons are fun, require minimal set-up, and the projects created have turned out very well. There are multiple lessons for one concept so I have been able to skip any lesson that I feel may be too advanced for my students (though I have done that very infrequently). Overall, this book has been an incredibly valuable teaching tool.
on November 14, 2007
I am a homeschooling mom, sadly lacking in the creativity department. I love this book and have found it to be a wonderful resource for art class. It's easy to use and dd loves the activities. This is the one subject I was really concerned about being able to adequately teach, but this book has made it so simple. In addition to just offering a creative outlet, it gives instruction in actual technique.
on July 14, 2006
This book is a good start to teaching younger children about art. It has smaller lessons that are good for younger kids to grasp onto concepts. I wish there was more to it, with some extra activities for each concept taught.

It teaches children the use of lines and shape in art. It also has a section on color and color theory. Even older elementary aged children find the sections interesting and fun.

There are a few blackline masters in the book that are great resources for teaching the concepts. Each concept has a list of materials and step by step instructions and that makes it very easy to use.

This book is a must have for art teachers, homeschoolers and parents who want more art instruction for their younger children.
on July 11, 2005
Outstanding book! Teaches the fundamentals of art, not craft type projects. I use this book every year and love it!
on August 25, 2007
I purchased this book for some new ideas for art activities in the college class I teach for elementary education majors. It is nicely arranged by formal art elements with clear, concise directions. While it has worthwhile classroom activities, those concise directions can be a bit thin for most teachers that don't have any art background, unless they are the more motivated type that will do some deeper study into the art elements and principles covered in the National Visual Arts Standards. The one other problem is in the examples pictured in the book, which are obviously done by an adult, and not very imaginative uses of the lessons. Real-live kids would give far better effort than is pictured throughout the text.
Overall, this is a nice resource for the classroom teacher.
on January 23, 2008
I love this book...It's very simple and well organized. Plus, everything is in full color! The artwork examples are large, the directions are extremely easy, and the layout is great. The printing is also of very high quality. My favorite part is that I can quickly flip through the pages and visually pick out projects within minutes, without having to read through a lot of text.

A few of the projects are kind of boring to me, but my younger students enjoyed them nonetheless. Most of the them are better suited for early finishers or substitute lessons, rather than an in-depth art lesson. However, I wish I could find more books that were this colorful and easy to read.

I found this book most useful during my first year teaching art- I taught in an inner city school that did not have an art program in place. I was surprised that even 5th graders couldn't use scissors or fold a piece of paper in half. I had to go back to the basics, and this book was very helpful. Now that my students are much more advanced, I don't use it as much. It's great to have in the classroom library though... the students love to read it and look at the pictures when they finish early. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in teaching the basic elements of art.
on February 6, 2007
I am using this book as a tool for teaching kids the building blocks, or"grammar" of Art. The elements of Art are taught chapter by chapter, and are easily grasped when doing the projects, all which are well explained and fairly simple. There are several projects to help teach each element of Art, and the required supplies are inexpensive and easy to obtain. While the kids need to follow the specific requirements of each project, there is plenty of room for creativity.
This book does not teach the technical skills of drawing or painting. It is designed to teach the building blocks of art. It will help a child think more about how artists use these elements to draw the eye in to a work of art, and will help them as they create their own pieces. A very good book!
on October 29, 2013
This book covers it ALL. I was so intimidated teaching art to my homeschoolers. I had no idea what to do or even how to proceed. This book goes step by step. You can literally start at the beginning in first grade and end up, by the end of the year, in the sixth grade curriculum. I have 5 children i am teaching, ages 8-17, and even the 17 year old likes it. Lessons are 45 minutes a piece. There are 80 lessons! More than enough art for a year!!! Get this book, you will not regret it.
on October 22, 2012
We love this book and have added it to our curriculum. I have a first grader and a kindergartner and the lessons inside are easily taylored to fit their needs and understanding. There are some other lessons that are beyond their grasp, but we just skip those. Each chapter covers a different concept such as lines, color, texture, etc and has several activities for each chapter. You can do them all or just pick a few and move on to the next chapter. Its great and can be used multiple years to fill in with the activities you skipped or repeat the ones they really liked.