Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on October 9, 2012
Luckily my copy of the book arrived in a plain brown wrapper, or else Fluffy would have surely destroyed it before I came home. I took it into the bathroom and locked the door behind me. As the Oatmeal revealed the details of her insidious plot, she was sticking her sharp clawed feet through the crack under the locked door like a kitty reenactment of The Shining. I hid the book under my shirt when I left the bathroom although I could tell she was suspicious because she wove through my legs trying to trip me up so I would drop it and show my hand.

Thanks to the Oatmeal, I now know the truth. She knows that I know that she knows that I know. She is watching me. I am waiting for her next move. It's like a game. Like a game of what?... yes, cat and mouse, my friend. Only this time she is playing for keeps.
3131 comments| 1,184 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 9, 2012
Since there are other reviews based solely on device-specific criticism and not on the content, I figured it'd be logical to write a positive review in the same way. The paper edition seems to work natively without any apps. The right combination of gravity and friction make for a steady reading experience in my hands. In space (or any zero-G environment) I might not even have to hold the book! I'd probably hold the book anyway; it'd be strange reading a floating book. Sadly, the print version doesn't seem to work well in the dark, but hindsight is 20/20. Since it functions well enough in sunlight or under artificial light, I didn't negate four stars. Inman & co: please think ahead for the next version. Glow-in-the-dark pages are a must.
2525 comments| 1,040 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 9, 2012
I read my copy about 20 minutes after it was delivered this morning. Then I read the second copy I purchased for a friend about an hour after that, just so I could say I was the first to read his copy.

I'll always have that...

Also, the damn thing was funny.
0Comment| 274 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 21, 2012
I have never written an Amazon review before (as you will see, for good reason). However the negative reviews of this book are amazeballs. Either people are 1)having technical issues with the e-book 2)have never read Matthew Inman's online comics or 3) didn't look at the book's description before buying it (and expecting it to be like his first book).

Addressing each of these:

1) When MS Works doesn't work on your Windows 98 PC, do you blame the writer? Oh yeah, you are the person holding your mouse upside down and calling the support desk to come down to fix it.

2) Do your homework man! If the title didn't give you a heads up that this book is a bit effed up, then reading Matthew's online content would surely give you an indication of what you're in for. If you don't like profanity and you read /bought this book...only you are to blame for not having enough media literacy to make a good decision about your purchase.

3) Read the author's webpage for this book (Amazon won't let me post it here). It very clearly describes a book ALL ABOUT CATS. Additionally, when do you expect an author's book to be exactly like his/her last book? Ok...except for Cormac Mccarthy.

Ok...if you've gotten this far in my stupid little rant, here's my psuedo review. If you like The Oatmeal, you are a crazy cat person that knows you are a crazy cat person (and/or simply enjoy laughing at crazy cat people), and you realize you should buy the actual physical/paper copy of graphic content (most of which is available online for free, but you like supporting artists and their awesome works), then stop reading my crappy review and go buy this book. If not, stop reading my crappy review and use the comments to tell me how dumb this review is.

In conclusion, The Oatmeal is nothing if not pure genius. If you don't get that, you should really question the value of your life.
33 comments| 108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 15, 2012
The book itself is fairly humorous, especially if you enjoy the sense of humor employed by The Oatmeal. I was going to purchase this as a gift for my mother (as something of a joke, as she contracted cat scratch disease [a.k.a. cat scratch fever, which is apparently more than just a Ted Nugent song]), however I decided to read it prior to giving it to her. This turned out to be a good idea, as I found that many of the jokes were ones you may not want to tell your mother. To wrap this all up: good for you, bad for mom.
on October 9, 2012
Just cracked open the amazon.com box and pulled out my copy. If you like The Oatmeal, you will LOVE this -- my sides hurt from laughing!
on October 12, 2012
I pre-ordered 3 of these books about 1 week before it was released. Matthew Inman is a pure genius when it comes to writing comics and telling it like it is. He is not afraid to speak his mind. I love how politically incorrect he is.

I got 2 extras so I can provide offensive gifts to friends... (Am I a good friend or what??)

We seem to live in a world that whipped and everyone seems to get offended at one thing or another. This book is filled with wonderful offensive material that will be sure to ruffle the feathers of the sensitive types out there. So if you are weak minded and get offended by comics that talk about cat poop, animals that lick their testicles, gay cats, and howitzers... this book is not for you.

Better yet when I pre-ordered the books they were $8.98 each, but the price went down 18 cents so I was refunded 54 cents, how awesome is that?

The pull out poster is hanging in my kitties room above their litter box, so they can study it for future attack methods.
on October 15, 2012
Unlike his last book, this one focuses mainly on cat-related material, giving this one a central theme unlike How to Punch a Dolphin in the Mouth. I liked the variety of material, inclusion of all the BobCats stuff, as well as some stuff I haven't seen before. The printing is high-quality and glossy, and it's a really good experience to hold the physical book in your hands. Well done!
on October 12, 2012
If you like The Oatmeal, buy it, if you don't like The Oatmeal, move along. Yes, it's a comic with profanity in it.

It's one of those things that if you aren't sure you'll like it, there is a possibility you won't. Or you're already a fan, in which case you bought it already.
on October 11, 2012
So I just got my book today, and not to repeat other reviews but come on, rate the product for what it is, not due to your lack of understanding!

So first, since I ordered the print version, I've gotta say the thing that most concerned me before ordering was the quality of the printing. This is a very cheap book, as in price-wise, it's on the low end particuarly for a high-color book, and I feared the print quality would suffer as a result. However, I've gotta say, the print quality is phenomenal. Nice thick glossy pages (but not so thick that the entire book is like 10 pages), spot-on high quality color printing, it just feels nice.

The comics are also hilarious, but as other reviewers have commented, much of it is already on the 'net. That being said, I wasn't really shocked and personally, I don't think that's all that much of a problem. Many books merely gather web content, and many of them don't even provide new content as well! I have a post-secret book, which even though it's all online, seeing it in print is worth the price (if you like that kind of stuff). Heck, many comic series are free (Hobbes, Garfield, etc) yet I still buy those books as well. Anyways, the gist of it is yes, much of the book is already online, but some of it is not; if you absolutely love the Oatmeal comics the new ones are worth it, if you're kinda "meh" on the ones that area already online such as "How to Tell If Your Cat Is Plotting to Kill You", then no, the new content isn't worth it. Funny, but not pee your pants hilarious.

Finally, This leads me to my one complaint, but again, I'd say it's also personal opinion: I wish the book was larger. While I can see and appreciate how neatly Inman organized the comics to work in a normal novel-size book, I think comics lend themselves to more "creative" book sizes, particularly when they are somewhat conversation-piece oriented. Personally, I actually would have liked a 10"x14" hardbound version, but I think Matthew did this probably to make the piece more affordable. Like I said, that's personal opinion, but I'm not going to knock off stars because Matthew didn't personally make and design the book to my exact specifications. The book is solid, and more then worth the price of admission.