5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, Poetic, Wise
Wayne Muller has a deeply caring soul and in this book evidences a lyrical pen.
While no book can conclusively answer the question "How, Then, Shall We Live?" this book is a wonderfully readable and gentle, compassionate and evocative, exploration of some of life's ultimate issues.
Much of the book gains its power from stories of people facing death...
Published on April 20, 2000 by Poetry Primavera

3.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't find a connection
I bought this book for a friend whose child was killed--and bought one for myself at the same time. In the intervening months, I have had serious family problems and hoped that the book might help me with a healing process. But then, I am just a regular person--no sexual or emotional abuse; just hurt. There's a condesending attitude in the spiritual part. It's sort of...
Published on November 29, 2000

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, Poetic, Wise, April 20, 2000
This review is from: How Then, Shall We Live?: Four Simple Questions That Reveal the Beauty and Meaning of Our Lives (Paperback)
Wayne Muller has a deeply caring soul and in this book evidences a lyrical pen.
Much of the book gains its power from stories of people facing death in heartbreaking yet courageous and liberating ways.
This book is good for your soul (however "soul" may be defined or experienced).
In addition to the author's own thoughts, he includes helpful exercises, and cites many inspiring and thoughtful passages from others.
This is not an analytic work that delves into complicated philosophical concepts. Instead, it touches on the simple, yet most profound, questions of life and death in the deceptive plainness of the most wise. It is food for the heart, and it rings deeply true. And, while the author seems to be a deeply spiritual man, there is nothing of a dogmatic sense about any of the writing.
Read this book; your best self will thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, March 13, 2007
Wayne Muller is an ordained minister, psychotherapist and best-selling author. A graduate of Harvard Divinity School, he has spent the last twenty-five years working closely with some of the most disadvantaged members of society. He founded Bread for the Journey, a national, nonprofit charity serving the poor and underprivileged. Muller's meditation on four simple questions takes him far afield into revealing much of himself, the struggles and victories of the many he helps and into beautiful, illustrative literature and stories from world religions. At the end of each section he has inventive exercises that help the reader find her answer to these immortal questions. The questions:

Who am I? The way we feel about ourselves, the way we live our lives depends upon how we answer this question. Am I the sum of my symptoms? Am I the roles I play, my job titles, what others think of me? Have I shrunk to the circumference of a label others placed upon me? Or is there a hidden wholeness within that I must strive to connect with each day? Jesus answered the question in saying "You are the light of the world?" He did not say you are the light of the world if you grew up in a rich or famous family, or if you are svelte and good looking, if you have never been abused or a child of a broken home. "No, regardless of the shape of the sorrow or victory or grief or ecstasy we have been given, there is a potent inner luminosity that is never extinguished and is alive in us this instant." (17). We come into the world with a true self that lets us know when we have gone astray from our nature as children of God. Ask yourself throughout the day, "Who am I?" Pay attention to the breadth of your answers. Which reflect your deepest nature?

What do I love? You cannot love everything or everyone. Jesus said "Where your treasure is there will you heart be also." The aim of this section is to help you with the fruitful challenge of discerning and choosing those things you truly love -- to reset your center of gravity. Who and what gets most of your attention. "Attention is the tangible measure of love" (p. 87) Look through you date book, recall your week. Where are most of you time and energy going? This is where your love is going too. Do you need a course correction, a realignment between what you do and what you profess doing? In a world where doing is more important that being, we can easily lose ourselves in doing too much. Gather some magazines and cut out those pictures that seem powerful and intriguing. As you do this keep in mind this one question, "What do I love?" What do you notice of each, how do they make you feel, pick one and ask what it says to you about your inner life, what you love? (P. 123)

How shall I live, knowing I will die? It is life's impermanence that makes us value it so dearly. Nothing intensifies life as the scare of facing death. Suddenly, life is intense, the unnecessary fades, worries about money are eclipsed by the preciousness of our remaining time. If we are not careful, our life becomes a joyless grind of work and chores. How many of us want immortality but don't know what to do with ourselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon? Who of us is just passing through this life waiting for a happier more fulfilling afterlife? Take an hour to plan your own memorial service. Who do you want to be there, for what do you want to be remembered, what do you want people to say? What is the primary legacy of your life? What would you like your epitaph to say? This exercise may afford you some surprises about the kind of life you want to live. What one thing can you do to begin this life? (P. 204)

What is my gift to the family on the earth? If you believe what Jesus told you that you are the light of the world, then upon what do you shine that light? Or do you hide it behind sorrow, or hurts and try to save it like the last morsel of bread? It is only from the broken places of our life that our light can shine. It is in suffering we gain wisdom, and in trials that we learn empathy. Our gift is ourselves, in whatever manifestation of generosity we share it. Daily we are given opportunities to offer our gifts to fellow workers, family, strangers, to the lonely, dying, to our planet and its many endangered species who have given us so much. Take a day and track your impulse to give in different circumstances. Does giving emerge naturally or is it hindered by a sense of obligation, or resentment? Notice how it feels to give of yourself. Does it produce happiness or leave you feeling weary and drained? (P. 253).

How Then, Shall We Live? makes you aware of the need to listen and to learn from your inner life. As Emerson wrote "Our life is an apprenticeship to truth, that around every circle another can be drawn . . . under every deep a lower deep opens."

5.0 out of 5 stars this book is a song for the mind, body and spirit...., January 5, 1999
Joseph Griffin (west palm beach, florida USA) - See all my reviews
i read this book at a time of my life when i had lost a dear friend.....it is truly inspiring with a purpose of legacy......and celebration of spirit that is within all of us.....grace and gratitude.

5.0 out of 5 stars spirituality, November 7, 2009
Wayne Muller never disappoints. His words are graceful, profound and help one get in touch with the real issues of life. He does this through the sharing of real stories from real people that one can relate to. Very worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars the Best, December 3, 2008
This is by far the most important book that i have ever read. The writings of Wayne Muller are so real and comforting to me. You won't go wrong getting this book, or any of Muller's for that matter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Book, January 6, 2009
Wonderful book filled with great inspirational anecdotes. It will renew your faith in the human race. Wayne is a great writer with beautiful insight. Highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars life changing, February 13, 2011
MissP "MP" (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This is a beautiful book that offers a new perspective on life. It is intelligently written and spiritual without being preachy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, April 18, 2014
I have purchased this book over and over, for the valued and trusted people of my life. Muller has brought together so gracefully, the truths of the ages and the possibilities we each have for finding That Essence which is the Overcomer within. Take the time to find the Timeless and Indestructible...the Savior... as you read Wayne Muller's humble work.

Thank you, Wayne Muller!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, October 3, 2013
I've bought so many of these books over the years I've lost count, because I often give it as gifts to friends. My husband and I have read it several times individually and are now reading it again together. We've also read other books by Wayne Muller. His writing flows, isn't wordy, is inspirational and has been part of my journey in life. Highly recommend "How Then Shall We Live" to anyone looking for a book that simply describes ultimately what life is all about.

5.0 out of 5 stars A joy to read, February 24, 2011
How Then Shall We Live? written by Wayne Muller
This book is written in a most accessible style using stories, shared beliefs from many religious philosophies and suggestions for practice. This book was a gift to me; I have given twelve copies to friends.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›