5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for New Bloggers & Experienced Bloggers!
I have been blogging since the early 2000s when a blog wasn't even called a blog! In that time since, I have managed dozens of blogs, sold several and earned a living by blogging...this book was a breath of fresh air and still very informative.

Published 12 months ago by Chrystie Vachon

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing New...Just Okay
This is the first time I've ever felt compelled to write a review on Amazon for anything. Not because the book was super awesome or super terrible, but mostly because I'm pretty sure many of the previous reviews were written by friends of the author or test readers. It's definitely not a 5-star book (in my opinion).

THE GOOD

If you're a new blogger...
Published 10 months ago by Kathryn Lambert

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing New...Just Okay, November 3, 2013
This review is from: How To Blog For Profit: Without Selling Your Soul (Kindle Edition)

THE GOOD

If you're a new blogger or a blogger with less than a year or two's worth of experience, this is probably a great book. The author does a great job of organizing the information into sections and she actually provides actionable steps that will improve your blog. Many are common sense - such as "write awesome content" and "determine your main theme..."

The chapter on social media was extremely helpful. I've struggled with figuring out how to utilize Pinterest for my own blogs as my focus is not DIY or anything home related. In fact, this chapter alone made it worth the $4.99 price tag for me.

The blogger's planner is pretty cool. You can, however, get the planner free from the website without buying the book.

THE BAD

There is nothing new in the monetization chapters of the book. Meaning, no awesome techniques or ideas that haven't already been talked about by 100 other authors in 100 other blogging ebooks.

A large portion of the book is dedicated to things that a blogger with any experience at all already knows. Most bloggers don't need to read a book to realize that content is king or that we should rename images with a descriptive name before publishing them on our sites.

This obviously isn't a book on SEO techniques, but I totally disagree with the author that SEO is an "old school" way of generating traffic. The bulk of my traffic has always come from search engines and, while social media is changing how we use the internet, I don't think enough emphasis can be put on the importance of search engines as a source of traffic for most blogs.

FINAL THOUGHTS

If you are just starting out, this is one decent book of many available. I read the book in a day and highlighted approximately 5 action items that I'd like to start incorporating in my blogging.

Don't expect this book to teach you any new or innovative techniques and you won't be let down. It seems like every blogger today who makes a decent living is now writing a book on, you guessed it, blogging. I'd highly suggest spending your time reading stuff written by those whose sole purpose is teaching better blogging techniques...like the Smart Passive Income blog by Pat Flynn or ProBlogger with Darren Rowse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for New Bloggers & Experienced Bloggers!, September 14, 2013

Some of my favorite take aways from the book, had nothing to do with the 'profit' aspect of blogging. Ruth's perspective on finding the right content and voice for your audience was right on. Her chapter "Work Smarter & Not Harder" gave me several tips on how to streamline my blogging (something I needed dearly).

As far as the monetization tips in this book, they are very detailed which is great for a newbie blogger who is looking to make money for his/her blog.

Overall, I recommend this book regardless if you are a new blogger or have been blogging for years!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for new Bloggers and those who want to learn how Blogging can equal income, September 24, 2013
This book is very well laid out and clearly gives ideas on not only how to make money blogging but also how to grow traffic to your blog. I would have made quite a few less mistakes these last few years of blogging if a book like this would have been available to me. In fact, there are numerous items that I now have on my to do list after reading this book.

I love that she gives concrete example and pictures throughout the book. It really helps with the learning. She even gives real examples of income from ad networks and placement. Overall, I was very impressed with this book and reccomend it to new bloggers and seasoned bloggers alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved reading this book!, September 7, 2013
I truly loved reading this book!! I will admit, when I first heard the title, there was part of me that was tempted to think that there wasn't "anything new under the sun." But, I was wrong. Ruth's fantastic writing grabbed me from the start with the encouragement that each of us has AWESOME in us somewhere...and growing a great blog means finding YOUR awesome. I just can't tell you how much I love that. :) The rest of the book goes on to give motivation, inspiration, practical ideas and action points at the end of each chapter. She includes her thoughts and ideas on writing good content, SEO, Pinterest, ads, reviews, and so much more. I also love that we get a "behind the scenes" look at a big blogger's blog & how-she-does-it type material. And, don't worry, at the end of the book she assures you that no one can do it all. :) She shares ideas for goal-setting and time management. As one who has been blogging for 6-7 years, but only recently started trying to grow my blog and make a small, part-time income from it, I found this book very helpful!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Read, October 1, 2013
New to blogging this ebook was the perfect book at the perfect time! Although I'm not sure if I will ever attempt to make money with my blog I am happy to have learned some basics if I were to ever change my mind. Sometimes I was a bit confused by the lingo (a Glossary of blogging definitions would have been nice) I eventually figured out what she was talking about. Great ebook def worth the $5 spent!

2.0 out of 5 stars needs to include IMPORTANT info about Wordpress!, March 26, 2014
I would have given this book 4 stars. It contains some good and useful information.
The author recommend using Wordpress to build your blog. It's a popular platform, so that's probably sound advice. However, the author fails to notify readers about the crucial difference between Wordpress.COM and Wordpress.ORG !!!
If you start constructing your blog through wordpress.COM, you will likely spend a lot of time picking a theme and starting to write and organize your posts, only to discover that wordpress.COM does NOT support any ways to monetize your site. You can NOT place any adds on a wordpress.COM hosted site. Of course, that defeats the whole purpose of having a "blog for profit".
You will also waste a lot of time trying to move your site off of wordpress.com afterwards.

If you want to use Wordpress, it's crucial that you go to wordpress.ORG and pay to set up with one of the hosting services that they recommend, to be able to monetize your site.

Though the author is a "DIY" and "spending less" blogger, she admits that she does not do her own website design. Maybe she was simply unaware of the two Wordpress options. If she had prior knowledge of that, then I feel it is negligent of her to not stress that difference to her readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Any bloggers - old or new - should read this!, September 23, 2013
I wish there had been a book like this before I started blogging, it's fantastic! Ruth knows what she's talking about and with every chapter I became more and more inspired to rethink certain aspects of my blog. I cannot recommend this book enough to all bloggers - those just starting out or those who have been blogging for a while - I GUARANTEE you will get something out of this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculously Helpful, October 3, 2013
I don't write reviews often but I literally couldn't put this book down so I figured it was the least I could do! I would call myself a 'newsletter blogger' for the past few years until just 3 months ago when I decided to get serious about the profession and begin to create the community I've always dreamed of.

I've plowed through a ton of information on what it takes to make your blog work and how to fit that into my world. It has been overwhelming. Ruth's very clear, direct, and easy to digest style was a breath of fresh air. Really there is not much in this book that isn't ridiculously helpful. I would assume even for people further down the path than I am. I will be going back to reference this gem of a resource many, many times. Thanks Ruth for putting your time and energy into sharing your expertise with the world!

3.0 out of 5 stars New Blogger, October 18, 2013
The price was great, but there wasn't much in there that I haven't read before. Even as a new blogger, most of it was pretty common knowledge- or at least easily accessible on other blogs where people write about how they got started and what works for them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better for bigger bloggers, October 26, 2013
This book offers a lot of ideas for ways to make money with your blog, but a lot of them work best when you've already got a lot of traffic in place. So for the newer blogger looking to start making an income there's not a lot of help here (other than to write well, visit other blogs and try to go viral on Pinterest).

Rate and Discover Movies