5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth your money, January 3, 2007
This review is from: How To Draw Manga: Ultimate Manga Lessons Volume 6: Striking The Right Note (Paperback)
Another book that I am proud to own from my fav how to draw artist Hikaru Hayashi. In this volume of how to draw manga ultimate manga lessons, Hikaru shows us how to flesh out our characters. This book teaches you about using hair styles to distinguish the character as well as their personality,their costumes,

designing the settings such as backgrounds, stylized backgrounds, hand-on practice on drawing easy backgrounds, and backgrounds to establish a setting,

The lighting and angles of your scenes to make them more dynamic, and learning from the orginal manga draft.

This book is truly worth looking into, and I think you will be very pleased with this book, as well as all the other volumes to this book (which I own all 6!) A must buy, I totally recommend this book!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Striking the right note? Fleshing out characters? Are they the same book?, January 18, 2007
C. Parks (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
Though it covers a topic that is covered in many how to draw books, I have to say it is a pleasant addition to my reference collection. I bought it because the title was 'striking the right note,' which I assumed would help to translate mood into environment, and other basic storytelling-meets-illustration techniques; however, the book is not appropriately titled. "How to draw manga: Ultimate Manga Lessons Volume six: Fleshing Out Characters" is the actual title, and to be honest, I would not have purchased it if I had known that it would be mostly about developing characters. However, the book has decent artwork, and some pretty good reference and review, so I'm keeping it. I'm giving it a four out of five because this book belongs in anyone's reference collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Reference Book, March 11, 2010
I've been using this book as a reference book--it is chock full of great examples of hair styles, clothing styles, and sections on how to design settings and scenes.

Objectives of this volume:
"To learn the basics of hairstyles and costumes that convey a character's individuality. To learn the tricks in drawing backgrounds as a stage-setting (scenery and time). To learn the techniques for designing a memorable character."

Get this book if you are having trouble with designing characters or hairstyles, or if you are having trouble with backgrounds and settings. This is not really a book for beginners--you should start with volume 1 in that case. I'm going to list the contents so that you can get a better idea of what's in this book.

Contents:

Warrior/Roar
Soldiers/The Raid
Regular Customer/A Meal

4.0 out of 5 stars A great book, just not for me., July 5, 2007
So, I bought this book based on a review by another aspiring artist. The review said it was "good for beginners". So, naturally I thought being a NOOB, that it meant me too. Unfortunately, it was good, but in the "here it is, draw it" kind of sense. Now, while perspective is better, I found it hard to break down some of the more complex hairstyles, among other things. This book is good for clothing, hair, setting, perspective, and pretty much everything in it. However, being "good for beginners", but not in the A, B, C, D sort of sense. Still a great book, but don't expect miracles if you can't draw a circle...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Subject, February 4, 2013
This book has various hints and tricks that you rarely find in other books, and I appreciated them greatly. More often than not I feel manga lacks "life" and I think more people should give this book a shot to being a little blood into their work. I can't wait to breathe life into my own art with this tome as well.

How To Draw Manga: Ultimate Manga Lessons Volume 6: Striking The Right Note