Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on October 26, 2012
I bought this book because the first time I started using Windows 8 I was like, "what is going on here? What happened to Windows?"

The How-To Geek Guide to Windows 8 really is "The complete guide to explaining everything the easy way." And I mean, it is "complete"! It covers virtually everything one could possibly hope to find in a how-to book on Windows 8. I really appreciate that because I'm a very busy professional and don't have a lot of time to devote to recreational reading. I spend most of my days reading through dry, boring work documents and I'm not a techy so-to-speak.

This book is very patient and has a lot of pictures to back up the explanations. I think this is a huge selling point because I could just look at the picture, read a short explanation, and then apply my new knowledge immediately. There was none of that constant, read, click, read, click stuff that I've discovered from other computer books. So the book really works when it comes to getting the important information to the reader in as bright, colorful, and easy-to-understand way as possible.

A word of warning though: this book is lonnnnnng and most, if not all of the stuff in the Advanced Administration chapter I'll never need or read. I'm sure there are things in there that more computer savvy types will enjoy but for me, the most useful parts of the book are in the opening chapters.

That said, even though I haven't honestly had time to read the whole thing, I've skimmed a great deal (the copious pictures really do help in that regard), and I can see how I might want to go back and dig into the sections on protecting my system and organizing my files. But, advanced administration? No thank you! :-)

In any regard, I was able to read up through chapter 4 on Internet Explorer 10 and now I feel like I really have a much better grasp on the whole Windows 8 experience. At the very least, I'm not confusedly flailing about. I understand what everything is, where it is, and how to use it and I learned that all that in the course of a few short hours so for that reason alone, I give the How-To Geek Guide to Windows 8, 5 stars!

Oh, and one more thing. If you turn to the very end of the book are 30 really awesome tips on getting the most out of your system. While these are tips scattered all over the book and peppered throughout the text, it's nice to have most of them all compiled in one location!

Pros:
Arranged in a logical straightforward way. All the new and important information is right up front. The second chapter is all about personalizing Windows 8 so it really looks like they authors spent some time thinking about how to lay things out.

Pictures! There's a lot of really nice full-color pictures and the illustrations with the arrows and instructions really helped me learn how to access and use the new features.

Very informative and helpful and the tips at the end of the book are an extremely thoughtful touch

Cons:
This book is long. As someone who mainly uses their computer to check e-mail, use Word, and shop online/Facebook, I'll probably never need the info in Advanced Administration. Still, it's there if someone needs it.
on November 4, 2012
I bought this book on spec while waiting for my Windows 7 backup to complete. I am glad I did. It thoroughly covers Windows 8 in a readable and accessible fashion. My decision to install Windows 8 was taken on launch day after I read an on-line review and looked at the Microsoft web site. I therefore had no real knowledge of the product. I read this guide cover to cover and now feel very confident with Windows 8 which is, in many ways, very different from earlier versions of Windows. A section I am particularly impressed with deals with installation from a USB memory stick. I have not seen this mentioned anywhere else and it will be invaluable for installation onto my ultrabook which does not have a DVD drive. My only criticism is that it does appear that publication of the book was rushed. There are a number of spelling and grammatical mistakes that a good sub-editor should have picked up. That said, if you need a guide for Windows 8 this would be a good choice.
33 comments|32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 28, 2012
Windows 8 is a pretty big switch in UI (user interface) from previous versions of Windows. In turn, this is going to cause a lot of confusion as Windows 8 gains marketshare and is pre-installed on new laptops and PC's.

This book should come pre-installed too. Microsoft needs to chat with these two authors.

Never mind that it teaches you the new "lingo" (Charms Bar, Switcher Hot Corners, etc) - it teaches you how to *use* them. Or disable them. Or customize them. This book teaches you Windows 8, in a straight-forward manner that anyone can follow (lots of pictures!!!).

If you buy Windows 8, save yourself a lot of frustration and buy this book immediately after. You'll thank me :) (well, you'll thank the authors...)
on November 27, 2012
Klein has given me 4 techniques in his short presentation that have taken away some of the frustration (and anger) I feel toward W8. That alone was worth the price of the publication. The style of this book is understandable to non-geeks. You don't have to be I.T. to benefit. Good value, buy it.
on November 9, 2012
Like some people, I was hesitant to upgrade to the new Windows 8 since it seemed so much different than previous Windows versions. But after briefly reading this book, it was easy. I like the way the author has illustrated a lot of the screenshots and saved me a lot of headaches and time with my initial crossover.

The first couple chapters explain all the new stuff in Windows 8 and make it simple to understand. I also liked the tips chapter at the end of the book, which is really helpful. The only problem with the book is that it might be too long for beginners to read all the way through. The advanced chapter near the end has a lot of good stuff, but I just skimmed over that part. Considering that this book is cheaper than the other books on Windows 8, its well worth it.
on October 26, 2012
I've been reading the How-To Geek web site for years, and was happy to get my hands on their new book. This book reflects everything that is good about the site... lots of pictures to help you figure out what they are talking about, and it's not snobby like so many computer books are.

This book is enormous. I haven't read every one of the 961 pages yet, but so far it seems like they have covered virtually everything there is to cover about Windows 8.

Chapter 1 is probably the best chapter in the book, just because it's so easy to understand. By the end of the chapter you'll really know how to get around in Windows 8.

Chapters 2 and 3 teach about customizing, which is very useful. The Start Screen can be confusing, but these chapters made it pretty easy.

Chapter 8 explains how to use the new Refresh feature to reinstall Windows without messing up your apps, or System Restore. It is a solid chapter you should read so you know how to fix things when they break.

The 30 Tips chapter at the end of the book is sweet. The tips are useful. You can use Task Manager now to clear out your startup items. Sweet!

The only problem with this book is that because it is so long, some of the chapters at the back of the book are hard to read through. Thankfully all of the important information is at the front of the book, so you don't need to worry about them. It will be reference material if you need it.

Hopefully How-To Geek will come out with a book on Microsoft Excel so I can finally understand how to really use it.
on November 18, 2012
Okay so Windows 8 is definitely a step away from many of the things we think of as windows. Microsoft really has changed it up. Not so much in functionality but location of items and how you interface and access them. This book really helped me figure out the new landscape that is Windows 8. It's easy to read and has plenty of pictures to help visualize what is being talked about.
on December 9, 2012
Amazon's Kindle for Ipad capability is great; the only way that I could get this book! I have "Windows 8 Step-by-Step" and it is a good book, but this one is better organized and has more vivid images of what you are trying to get at. I keep going back to this guide for quick reference or more detailed information.
on November 16, 2012
I have been running Windows 8 since the preview versions. This book gave much more insite into Windows 8 than I have learned on my own or gathered from other websites. It is a great resource!
on February 18, 2013
This was the most helpful book I found. I bought it in the Kindle addition and it was easy to follow along while trying things on the computer. I had been using Vista and I am in my late sixties so there was a bit of a learning curve for me particular since I don't havea touch phone or any other gadget with that sort of platform so again this book was very helpful and very well laid out. Just go to the section you need some help on. Can start anywhere in the book...not necessarily at the beginning.