5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I had read this book years ago!!
What a joy to read! I couldn't put it down until I had completed it! This is the best money I've spent in a long time!
Published on October 26, 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars That was then...
I've owned this book for several years and I recall being disappointed by it the first time I read it. Got it out the other day and re-read it and now I can be more clear about why it didn't fit my dogs and my photography.

One, and there's no fix for this: This book, at least my 1998 edition of it, is a film book. Pre-digital all the way.

Second,...
Published on January 8, 2009 by Karen Tiede

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I had read this book years ago!!, October 26, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: How To Photograph Dogs: A Comprehensive Guide (Paperback)
You don't need to be a "pro" photographer to take great pictures of your dog. This book will show you that, with the camera you already own, you can really capture the essence of your four-legged friend. If you don't have a camera yet, buy this book first!! It has wonderful and clear tips on what to look for in a camera.
Step-by-step, you will learn that planning is the key to great dog photography. You will learn things like head portraits, how to choose a great location, as well as how to make beautiful action shots. There are stunning pictures in this book that will inspire the photo artist in you.
I wish that I had this book years ago, when my first dog was still alive. Pictures like these would have brought me joy long after her passing. On the other hand, I'll be ready for the next puppy!
Whether your dog is noble, courageous, dignified, tender, or just a clown, the techniques in this book will help you capture these qualities on camera, and will provide you with additional and poignant memories of your best pal for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, December 14, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: How To Photograph Dogs: A Comprehensive Guide (Paperback)
I read this book from cover to cover. I loved the way it was written. I enjoyed Kerrin and Dale's personal stories as well as all the great tips they provide. I've been taking pictures of my pets for many years with my Pentax K1000. While I was reading this book I noticed that my pictures had dramatically improved because I was putting in more time planning the pictures before I took them. I'm sure that now that I've completed reading the book (some parts several times!) I'll be capable of producing consistently good pictures of my pets and my friends pets.

5.0 out of 5 stars DogRead book of the month, January 24, 2002
This review is from: How To Photograph Dogs: A Comprehensive Guide (Paperback)
DogRead book of the month August, 2001 This book was chose to be on the prestigious 'DogRead' (...) as a book selection of the month. We only do 12 books a year. The author comes on line for the whole month to answer questions on the book. This was one of our best recieved book! It recieved rave reviews. We found it easy to follow and great for the newbe or the long time owner. It was very well received by our 3000 member email group. The author was very knowledgeable and easy to understand.
treshell owner DogRead

5.0 out of 5 stars Best canine photography book., January 14, 2009
Dave "dccanfield" (Syracuse, NY, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How To Photograph Dogs: A Comprehensive Guide (Paperback)
Despite how we see dogs as innately photogenic, there are specific techniques that transfer that into a treasured print. This book covers the details of lighting, positioning, equipment, and even canine anatomy to capture the beauty of a dog, whether that beauty is in a classic sense or behavioral humor. I've been photographing for decades with professional cameras, but only after reading this book could I know how to capture the such elusive things as my black dog's coat. Both a joy to read and extremely informative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional how-to and reference tool, November 16, 2010
This review is from: How To Photograph Dogs: A Comprehensive Guide (Paperback)
This is an unusually useful and informative book. I purchased 2 others that were more of an autobiography of the author: More ego than info. This book provides a well organized overview, concise and understandable information and solid technical insight into the skills and equipment needed.

This is the book to start with - you'll save yourself some money in not buying other books on the subject.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, but a little outdated, January 28, 2012
This review is from: How To Photograph Dogs: A Comprehensive Guide (Paperback)
This book has great tips and pointers about photographing dogs! However, it is a bit out dated (it was published in 1998). The book is based entirely on film photography, and the writers use some really sophisticated wording when they could have just said it straight forward. If you are big on film pet photography, this book is perfect for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the Beinging Dog Photographer, May 21, 2014
This review is from: How To Photograph Dogs: A Comprehensive Guide (Paperback)
After 8 years of shooting Dogs I started thinking about doing some training for beginning Photographers. I bought this book as a resource for the course in Dog images. I have it to be highly valuable in creating course content and recommend my students purchase it as a reference.

4.0 out of 5 stars good book, January 22, 2013
This review is from: How To Photograph Dogs: A Comprehensive Guide (Paperback)
This is a good book if you aren't interested in digital. It is a bit outdated but has great examples to follow
socutehavanese.com

3.0 out of 5 stars That was then..., January 8, 2009
This review is from: How To Photograph Dogs: A Comprehensive Guide (Paperback)

Second, this is a book aimed at a market that uses the phrase "breed standard" routinely. Most of the dogs in the pictures in this book have kennel names; unfortunately, that fact strongly colors my perception of the photographs. However, this is not completely a subjective reaction. Many of the instructions in the book address the issues of showing off the dog's breed-specific characteristics.

<subjective filter ON> IMO, the photographs show dog-as-breed-example, rather than "Spot" or "Fido" or "Rover with the tennis ball." If you are looking for formal, posed portraits of a dog doing what that breed is supposed to do, this is probably a very good book for you. If you want to make a picture that demonstrates why your dog has five or six sets of letters in front of or behind his or her kennel name, this is your book.<subjective filter OFF>

I'll try not to whine about mutts vs purebreds again.

The technical information about using a camera and focal length and exposures and working with black or white, and black and white dogs together (which includes black and golden labs) is very useful. Some digital cameras take care of this for you now, although you still have to understand why it is that pictures of Blackie or Snowball never turn out right.

<subjective ON again>I just can't connect with any of the dogs in these pictures. I don't wish they were mine. I don't see my dogs in these poses. If I saw these pictures on Petfinder.com, I would trust that breed rescue would be on the scene to save them. YMMV, particularly if you know where your dogs were born and who their parents and grandparents are. Oops. There goes that argument again. I'll quit. <subjective OFF>

How To Photograph Dogs: A Comprehensive Guide
How To Photograph Dogs: A Comprehensive Guide by Kerrin Winter (Paperback - May 29, 1998)
Used & New from: $0.99