Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on January 8, 2013
I was given the book as a gift to help an aging relative and was happy to find it consistently informative and fun to read as it clearly explains the rationale and steps needed to achieve significant results. I thought one especially interesting section was the discussion of how fear works against seniors -- fear of the changes that come with age, the fear of falling that causes people to become rigid and inflexible, the fear that exercising might cause more difficulties than it would solve. But Perkins gently disproves and alleviates these fears. One note -- when trying out exercises for the first time, I found it helpful to assist my uncle, so he could relax and feel encouraged and not have to stop moving to refer to instructions in the book. Maybe even a guided exercise tape would be a good extra to offer so seniors can follow along by listening to exercise routines of varying length. I was also impressed by the 'Ball Handling' exercises and the author's encouragement to use dance as an aid to improving balance -- adding an element of play seems to make moving easier, just like when we're young. Overall, a unique resource that can actually make a positive change in an aging person's health and attitude with little effort. Would make a great gift to get a senior moving again....
on May 16, 2009
Any library catering to seniors or caretakers needs HOW TO PREVENT FALLS: BETTER BALANCE, INDEPENDENCE AND ENERGY IN 6 SIMPLE STEPS. It provides a 6-Step Balance System useful not just for seniors alone but for all ages, using dozens of illustrations to profile exercises. Each exercise introduces an insight - such as avoiding the fear of falling sideways - and covers increasing leg strength, stretching hips, and relaxing the whole body, in addition to the core set of balance exercises. A powerful, unique guide: a 'must' for any health or general-interest library.
on September 27, 2007
This book is invaluable for anyone that is beginning to experience a lack of balance. It is filled with easy exercises and movements that are designed to improve a person's balance and awareness of their bodies. It has a series of easy stretches to do in bed, before you get up in the morning that are a great way to start the day. It has been carefully researched and written by a delightful woman who is very accessable. She publishes her personal e-mail and telephone number if you should have any questions or problems. Following these suggestions could certainly restore a person's confidence in their ability to fully enjoy the activites of each day.
on February 9, 2014
I'm under 60 and had developed problems with my balance. This book got me where I need to be. I liked the variety of excercises and the advanced versions you could use once you mastered the basics.
on May 1, 2015
Easy and fun to read. This is a helpful tool for those of us who are mature and need some simple advice on how to stay steady despite aching muscles and stiff joints. I especially appreciate the 6th stem after 4 pm daily.
on January 21, 2012
This is a very helpful book on balance and preventing falls. I purchased one for myself and one for my Mom.
on September 11, 2009
This book provides a very good insight of how to retain balance and prevent falls. Really wish I had known the information before a fall I had earlier this year - knowing some of that could have prevented the severity of the damage encurred. Many interesting facts presented about falls/not falling and some basic stretching/strengthening execises are included.
on October 15, 2013
Easy to read and to apply. The print is easy on the eyes and easy to put into use, Looking forward to applying this to my exercise program, it fact it will be my exercise program.
on November 25, 2014
I appreciated the variety of exercises that would increase one's balance. This is an important help in fall prevention and the consequences that come with a fall.
on October 18, 2007
Very useful book. It has helped me to regain my physical balance with relatively little effort. The exercises are very invigorating.