Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on February 7, 2013
Matt's book is ideal for someone ready to embark on a journey traveling. I bought the E-version before I traveled for three months last summer. I read it in a day; its an easy read. I found the content very interesting, given that it was my first huge travel and I had no idea what to expect. He gives any novice the perspective that one should have before beginning travel - and even before planning the travel. I wish it was the first travel book I read, but I had already read Rick Stevens and Lonely Planet books, filling my head with what's "possible" rather than what's likely, given my conservative budget. For example, Matt will tell you about hostels and enjoying yourself, while the other books I read where more catered towards a crowd with money to blow and touristy sites on their minds.

After a few weeks of traveling, I found myself referring back to this book for pointers (I had downloaded it on my iPad).

He's helpful too. I had emailed him a travel question and he promptly and personally wrote me back.

I'll be buying the paperback simply to have it in my hands, so I can be old-school like that. Lol.
11 comment|80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 2, 2013
I've been to 25 countries over the past 10 years, and have put a lot of effort into research and saving money. Despite that, I found some useful tips in his books that I hadn't heard of at all before. Definitely worth the investment.

Perhaps you can find all these tips by scouring the internet, but is the 20 hours you spend doing that worth the $10 you saved? I doubt it. Buy the book, you won't regret it.
on March 1, 2013
This book has heaps of tips and information on the what, where and how of travelling. Whether you're looking to travel long-term (like myself) or just going on a holiday, you'll be able to extract tips that save you money and a headache.
Some tips, like using credit cards to rack up airline miles, are great but not applicable to everyone... THAT'S OK! There are tips in this book that will help you.
He also does a great job of outlining different (popular) regions and showing you how to navigate them and get the most out of your stay there.
It was well worth the $10 kindle purchase- I probably would have paid double for it... but that would have taken away from Matt's sound advice of not being frivolous when trying to save for a trip. :)

Samantha, vagabond-in-the-process.
on November 8, 2013
The conversation usually starts like this:

How can you afford to travel so much.

I get this question a lot in the United States (not so much elsewhere). Americans (the US ones) are plugged into the matrix that is the American Dream of working to buy things and going into debt. They still see travel as the exception to life -- a vacation from life. As far as extended travel goes, well, that is for the idle rich or carefree youth.

When I tell them that my life on the road is usually cheaper than the world they live in, they remain disbelieving. This book can explain it in detail. It can prepare you to unplug from that matrix.

I would recommend reading the first part of the book to get familiar with the opportunities, and then read the specific chapters for where you want to go.

The author is young but do not mistake the advice as just for the carefree youth. There are many examples of people traveling the world right now, of all ages. For the retired set, read Lynne Martin's book, "Home Free Anywhere" -- she and her husband live on the road, after having retired. But again, anybody can do it. You can make money anywhere -- the key is to free yourself from your location. I discovered, for example, that Europe was the best place to be to sell to a client of mine who was located in the Midwest US. The time change allowed me to call him first thing in the morning, before my competition did.

A few other recommendations: "Vagabonding" by Rolf Potts and "Map for Saturday," a movie about quitting your job and traveling the world for a year or so. It focuses on the hostel community, which may not be your thing, but it shows you what the world looks like outside the matrix Americans live in.

See ya out there somewhere.
on April 24, 2013
If you want to travel cheaper, longer, and smarter, you have to do some research. Author and world-traveler Matt Kepnes (keeper of the nomadicmatt.com blog) does a lot of the legwork for you and gives advice on pre-trip necessities, tips on travel and accommodations, and suggestions on other money-saving strategies. Kepnes has been at this for a while, and it's always good to have a mentor (even if only in book form) before setting out on such an adventure.

One thing to keep in mind is that the "$50 a day" is meant to be a daily average of a year-long, round-the-world trip. There are some expensive up-front costs, and there will be some days that much less than $50 would be necessary, especially if you cook some of your own meals or crash on couches for free. Sometimes, the more adventurous you are, the more options you have at saving money.

If you have ever thought about taking a year-long vacation to travel the world, pick up a copy of How to Travel the World on $50 a Day and use it to learn how to leave your comfort zone and be happy about it.
on February 9, 2013
I've followed Matt's blog for quite awhile, and I definitely think this book it worth it if you've never traveled. There isn't that much that I found different from his blog, but it's definitely nice to have a hardcopy of all this information. When I talk to my friends/coworkers about travel they tell me that I must be rich or how did you do that when I talk about my own ventures. I try to explain, but without any luck. Next time all I have to do is give them this book! Good job!
on March 13, 2013
I bought this book for my daughter, who is taking a gap year and traveling in South America on a tight budget. I started reading it myself, and while the country-by-country info is good, the general information is informative and empowering. I am thinking about buying multiple copies for everyone I know -- young, middle aged, and old -- just so they can read the wonderfully inspirational first chapter. The most important takeaway from this book is: You can do it!
on March 6, 2013
How To Travel the World on $50 a Day by Mat Kepnes is an excellent guide book on how to travel cheaper, longer, and smarter. This seasoned world traveling expert shares his secrets of how to earn thousands of frequent flyer points, find discount travel cards to save you money on so many things: lodging, tours, and transportation; how to find cheap or even free plane tickets; and how to avoid paying bank fees, which can really mount up when needing money abroad. Matt has so many tips of how to stretch your budget further than you ever imagined so you can travel farther than you even dared to dream. But, you might think you want to travel in higher style and more comfort than this obvious backpacker must do, but NO...think again! He likes comforts and good eating also and knows all the tricks of how to get these even on a very low budget, and best of all, he shares them with us! EVERY TRAVELER will want this book, and those who have not been able to realize their dreams of travel will want this book even more! [...] is his travel blog.
on April 5, 2013
As someone who's traveled full-time for the past four years, I don't have much use for travel guides. I find that they distract from the moment, set you along a well-tread path with little opportunity to take advantage of happy-accidents, and generally give you a white-washed experience of the place you're visiting.

This book provides -- rather than a guide to what you must see and do while traveling -- a framework with which you can accomplish whatever you travel goals happen to be. Whether you want to see the sites or meet the locals or eat the food or just wear out some shoe-rubber stomping around the unknown, Matt has provided real, actionable advice on how to get started, and how to proceed once you're ready.

I've been doing the travel thing for a while and I still picked up a lot of useful information from this book, and many of the questions I'm most frequently asked by readers are answered by Matt, and in great detail.

Highly recommended.
on April 16, 2014
I would rather have chosen 2.5 stars, but it is not an option. Most of this stuff is common knowledge for travel on the cheap. One thing that the author didn't seem to take into consideration is that a lot of people who are looking to travel inexpensively don't have perfect credit scores, so tips like opening a high yield checking account with Charles Schwab or getting a great airline rewards credit card to earn free flights aren't an option. I also found the writing to be at about a 6th grade level. For a published reference book, this isn't acceptable. The material, while it still may be valid, loses some of its credibility because of this. I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it, either.