5.0 out of 5 stars A thinking man's version of Covey and Collins that is deeper and profound -- not a fluff book at all!
Christensen is one of the deepest thinkers and most thoughtful people I have had the pleasure to meet or hear present. Those traits of deep integrity, thought, consideration come through in this book. However, the title will be misleading as this is not another self help book, nor it is an attempt for Christensen to break into the Tuesday with Morrie crowd. Rather,...
Published on May 15, 2012 by Mark P. McDonald

3.0 out of 5 stars A Self-Help Book disguised in Academic Language
How Will You Measure Your Life aims to be a fluff free piece on finding purpose and happiness in your life. To achieve this, Christensen examines how businesses thrive and fail, turning those examples as lessons for our personal lives. He breaks down the book into 3 parts:

1. FINDING HAPPINESS IN YOUR CAREER--Readers familiar with the book "Drive" by Daniel...
Published on June 8, 2012 by K. Evans

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 541 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Values in life, December 27, 2012
The strength and value of Christensen's theories on innovation and sustainability for companies are undisputed. The same theories applied to your life, is new. I thoroughly enjoyed the book because it a) provided a nice repetition of the theories and b) explained nicely how they can be applied in our personal lives.

My key takes were two: How organizational culture and family culture can be thought of in the same way and that "outsourcing" the upbringing of your children to a third party, does not make sense, and how maximizing KPIs in the short run may make sense but in the long run put the company in jeopardy. The latter point turned to private life is all about making the right short-term choices that makes you stay focused on the long-term goal.

Business schools are great at providing students with skills. We expose them to implementation issues but fail when it comes to providing them with values. This book can be an excellent introduction to values in life.

3.0 out of 5 stars Thought Provoking, December 11, 2012
Nice discussion of business concepts as applied to life. Much of the content resonated with me. Having several kids each in an array of activities, I felt a little guilty when the book was discussing the outsourcing of our parenting. :-) The religious references in the book were present, but not too overbearing as to turn me away.

All in all, a good read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Business principles, November 14, 2012
This review is from: How Will You Measure Your Life? (Hardcover)
The author uses business principles to manage personal goals. He never answers how to measure ones life. It was a disconnected read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the book I've been looking for, November 7, 2012
As a practicing psychotherapist for over 20 years and as someone whose book A Simple Guide To A Happier Life A Simple Guide To A Happier Life talks in many ways about how to lead a live that matters, I must say that this book addresses so many of the issues clients come to me with. Now I have a wonderful resource to recommend to them.

I'd been searching for a while for a book like this one so when I came across How Will You Measure Your Life? I ordered it immediately (thank God for Kindle!)and began reading it at once. I was so impressed with its honest and compassionate information.

If you really want to take a good,hard look at what you're doing with your life, then this is the book to read. Honestly, I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Thank you so much, Dr. Christensen!

5.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing read, May 29, 2012
This review is from: How Will You Measure Your Life? (Hardcover)
This book will change you. It will definitely leave a mark on you and impact the way you will think and behave. I have never believed in such books or self-help stuff or advice books. I heard the author speak about this book on Hugh Hewitt show and decided to buy it. I am changed by merely reading this book. I mean my outlook on life has slightly changed. This is an amazingly fresh book on topics that we barely think or talk about. Highly recommended. 5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspring Book, May 15, 2012
Adi Ignatius (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How Will You Measure Your Life? (Hardcover)
This is an amazing book, which grew out of a stirring article published in Harvard Business Review (transparency alert: I'm the editor in chief of HBR) a couple of years ago. In this extended version, Clay -- with his co-authors -- serves up truly inspiring wisdom on how to lead a meaningful life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, May 20, 2012
This review is from: How Will You Measure Your Life? (Hardcover)
I have read several works by Clayton Christensen, and also read the HBR article on which this book is based. I was a little worried that there wouldn't be much "new" material in the book. I needn't have been worried. There are so many gems in this book. I've met Clayton on a few occasions and from everything I can tell, he really does live was he teaches, which is what makes the book so powerful.

Fabulous advice. It was especially interesting to hear experiences I have heard of (like milkshakes) applied to our personal lives. I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A new lens for the way you live your life, May 15, 2012
This review is from: How Will You Measure Your Life? (Hardcover)
This book is a must-read for anyone afraid of disrupting their own lives. Christensen, Allworth, and Dillon, provide an insightful, practical, and analytical framework that will give you a new lens upon which to approach the decisions you face in your day-to-day life. Like Professor Christensen himself, it is not a 'preachy' read, rather, it is a humble, sincere, inclusive, and honest guide to asking the right questions when faced with decisions both big and small in your life.
It is a delight and surprising page turner as the authors outline how business strategy can be applied to larger questions of meaning.
We don't usually give as much thought to the analytical framework of our own lives as we do in our professional capacities, this book will get you on your way to focusing your energy and critical thinking on a work-life balance that is both satisfying and rewarding.
Part Randy Pausch, Mitch Albom, and Jim Collins, whether graduating from school, becoming a parent, or sending your kids off to college, this read is worthy of your time and attention.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read, May 15, 2012
This review is from: How Will You Measure Your Life? (Hardcover)
I'm not big on reading books about business, philosophy or purpose -- in fact, I'm not big on reading books in general -- but this one is an exception. Once I picked it up, I couldn't put it down. A very eloquently written book weaving together interesting theories and stories and sprinkled with wit. It helps readers to think through the most important question of their lives -- the question that we never stop to ponder -- how will we measure our lives? ... If you're like me, this is the kind of book you won't know you need to read until you have read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars purposeful life, April 29, 2014
If you want to understand what is truly important in your life, go no further. It is thought provoking and impact full. Not a leisurely read. If you don't want to implement these ideas and work hard then you shouldn't read this book. But if you want to answer the question of how will you measure your life then here is a plan for you to follow.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 541 | Next ›

How Will You Measure Your Life?
How Will You Measure Your Life? by Clayton M. Christensen (Hardcover - May 15, 2012)
$25.99 $14.63